Honored Contributor

Re: A Note From My Mail Carrier ",Request for a Larger MailBox?"

First of all did the mail carrier hand this directly to you , and or did she discuss it with you?

Secondly, is she a rural route carrier, who may not be a postal employee but a contract carrier.

Thirdly, is she soliciting or advertising and if so the postmaster needs to know.

Fourth, did an independent company put it in your mailbox?  They sometimes do this illegally- and the postmaster needs to know about that as well.

Honored Contributor

A simple request to make at least one persons life easier. Right? Your mailbox probably isn't the standard size or you may order a lot of packages that just don't fit. Replace the mailbox and be happy you gave someone a smile. Life is good.,,,remember.

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

Our mail carriers bring as much as they can carry as they walk their route in each neighborhood. They leave the heavier/bulkier packages in the truck. They deliver these packages as they drive to the next neighborhood. 

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

A simple request to make at least one persons life easier. Right? Your mailbox probably isn't the standard size or you may order a lot of packages that just don't fit. Replace the mailbox and be happy you gave someone a smile. Life is good.,,,remember.

Are you going to give someone a smile by sending her a check for the cost of the mailbox and then find someone to install it for her because she did say she's not mechanically inclined.

Esteemed Contributor

IMO it isn't up to the carrier to request a larger mailbox - it is up to the USPS person. In my neighborhood, we all have the same standard box. When I have larger packages, she either crams them in the box or drops them by the front door.

If you received a notification of some sort, I would take it directly to the PO and ask them about it.

If my gal requested a larger box, I would guess its because she doesn't want to get out of the car and walk a few feet to the door.

Honored Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

IMO it isn't up to the carrier to request a larger mailbox - it is up to the USPS person. In my neighborhood, we all have the same standard box. When I have larger packages, she either crams them in the box or drops them by the front door.

If you received a notification of some sort, I would take it directly to the PO and ask them about it.

If my gal requested a larger box, I would guess its because she doesn't want to get out of the car and walk a few feet to the door.

@riley1 wrote:

@riley1  In my area they are on a schedule. They get out of the truck only if really necessary, that's why on our rural route we all have the biggest size boxes. Also, here if the carrier gets out of the truck, no matter how little a walk to the door is, the engine must be shut off and the doors locked. This also takes time depending on how many times it must be done. Do they have to do this in your area?

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ - We have PO contract carriers. If she has something that won't fit, she pulls in the driveway and leaves it by my front door. 

However, I believe she can do her own schedule. If she goes in early, she leaves earlier and vice versa. I say this because our mail is never even in a time frame. One day its 11 am maybe tomorrow it will be 2.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wow!  Reading a lot of entitlement here!  The mail carrier's job is to put your mail IN THE MAIL BOX. If your carrier is putting packages in your garage or on your porch, be glad and thankful. They could instead leave a notice in your mailbox letting you know your package(s) are at the PO and you can pick them up there. 

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

We went to an oversized Rubbermaid mailbox when QVC started to send more packages via the post office and not UPS. I was able to use the original mail post and screwed the the Rubbermaid mailbox into the post. It is very secure. I suppose you could use some heavy type glue as well.

I have seen signage at Home Depot that they will install (for a fee) on certain items. There are also neighborhood posts for communitties for jobs for hire. (cutting grass, fix it ) Is there a neighbor that could help and you could pay or give them a restaurant/food gift card ?

Good Luck.

P.s.---In our area the postal worker is no longer required to get out of the vehicle to leave packages. If they do not fit in the mailbox they are left at the bottom of the mail post. This may vary with city and states. 

Respected Contributor

It seems to me that if "THEY" want you to have a bigger mailbox, "THEY" can buy and install it for you.