Trusted Contributor

Re: A Note From My Mail Carrier ",Request for a Larger MailBox?"

@Gorgf  So far, I haven't received anything like that. Thankfully, 99% of my larger packages are being sent via UPS.

I will say that I no longer purchase any live plants from QVC. Last year, late winter, I pre-ordered several plants from Q and had no idea when they shipped. One day, I had a large package to be sent through USPS, and barely caught the mail lady as she was pulling away from my mailbox. I gave her my return package and she said, 'Oh, I think I have one more for you'...It turned out to be a large cardboard box that contained all the live plants. Apparently, she didn't want to bother with parking her vehicle and walking up to put the box on my front porch as others have done in the past.

Well, most of those plants were already dead and the others didn't survive much longer, even though I tried to nurse them along. It was already beastly hot, and I had no idea how many days they had been riding along with her, baking in her mail truck. Even if we had one of those huge mailboxes that box still wouldn't have fit. 

So, now I only purchase plants/flowers that I can find locally at Home Depot, Lowe's, or the nurseries.

F/N/A luvstogarden
Honored Contributor

Ours puts large packages under the wrap around porch.  She needs excercise but prefers to ride around the back of our house (which I consider invasive) and turn around!  She places it as she drives out!

Our beloved mailman retired about 3 years ago.

Super Contributor

I live in a tall building with individual, locked mailboxes in the lobby. My carrier started leaving the whole lot of mail in a white plastic box and having the tenants go thru it to get their mail. This was totally unacceptable to me. I called the station manager & to complain, but of course they don't answer phones. So I went onine and found where I could send an email. 

They responded very quickly, within hours. I explained this is not safe or secure to leave mail this way. He said the mailboxes are so small. I replied, everyone's mailbox is. I live won't give that detail, all buildings are very old and have these type of mailboxes. Letter size has not changed. 

So, he spoke with the carrier and told her to put the mail in each individual mailbox.

Bottom-line: USPS is responsive and will get back with you.

Honored Contributor

No but we did replace our regular sized mailbox with a larger one several years ago...makes the mail carrier happy to not have to go up to the door to drop packages off.

When we first moved to our neighborhood we had several winters with a lot of snow.  We're on a cul de sac and the way the snow plows would clear the street and in front of the mail box was a mess!  May times the mailbox was almost buried and we had to go out and shovel it out...hard to do when things got icy.

Our mail carrier at the time dropped us a postcard requesting that the area around the box be cleared.

Honored Contributor

Seems like a great suggestion. Yes, there are extra large mailboxes and I'd hire a handyman to install one that would be sturdy and hard for anyone to steal. I'm happy that we have a large mailbox because the carrier doesn't struggle to put in the packages.

Valued Contributor

I have a mailbox at.the end of my driveway. If my mail carrier cant shove packages in there she drives up to my house and sets them on my front porch. I get packages at least 3x a week and no one has ever asked me to get a larger box. My mailbox is regulation size and if it's not to my mail carriers satisfaction too bad. I agree with @Kachina624...I'd ignore it.
Respected Contributor

Thank you all who replied. I wonder if it was a normal request? I keep my mailbox shoveled and as mentioned go out to get my boxes  or bags so have conversed with her. She doesn't have to get out very often.My driveway is a little long but easy to turn around. Also mentioned on tbe note safety for Carriers and can save a Life....  Reasons like falling, dogs, disease, lighting  etc. Some of those bags and boxes are so large for a small item anyway especially from Amazon.

My Stepdaughter is a carrier so going to ask her if these notes are going out on her route?

Thank you all for responding. I feel better.

Esteemed Contributor

If it were me I would ask her why she did that & let her know that I was “******” that she did 🥵

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

1. @AuntG wrote:

Seems like a great suggestion. Yes, there are extra large mailboxes and I'd hire a handyman to install one that would be sturdy and hard for anyone to steal. I'm happy that we have a large mailbox because the carrier doesn't struggle to put in the packages.

Hi @AuntG hope you are doing well. I mentioned in my other post. We get many boxes from USPS that are twice the size of our mailbox. Most are from Amazon that went to USPS. 

Our drive route carriers couldn't get them in any mailbox that I have seen. The mailman actually told me he likes getting out of his truck to get in some walking. 

Stay well,

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I wouldn't buy a bigger mailbox.  I'd be worried it would draw attention and I'd be missing packages.  My mail person hates delivering packages.  Bags from the Q get wadded up.  Luckily that doesn't happen often, but she will do whatever she can not to bring the package to the porch. I think it would be easier to go the porch than manipulating the packages to fit.