Honored Contributor

A LOT STOLEN FROM MOM’S APARTMENT

Since we have 30 days to clear out her apartment since moving her to skilled nursing, we’ve been going down to pack up her things. 

It’s amazing to me the caregivers (the only people who have been in there) have taken all her expensive perfume, Lancôme makeup/skincare, costume jewelry ( I took the real things out a long time ago), 2 Coach bags that I forgot she had and they took a lot of expensive clothing from Chico’s, Talbot’s. They had a key to let themselves in the apartment especially since she’s been bedridden.

Who would think that people would have that much nerve? Yes, I reported it to the agency....especially when I discovered $500 in cash missing, as well. Mom cashed a check each month so the aids could go to the grocery store or pick up meds for her. They evidently found her hiding place. 

Please be aware if you have caregivers in your home. Some cannot be trusted...most are great. I’ve never had this issue before.

Respected Contributor

Re: A LOT STOLEN FROM MOM’S APARTMENT

Same thing happened to my MIL. Sickening, isn't it?

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

@catwhisperer wrote:

Same thing happened to my MIL. Sickening, isn't it?

@catwhisperer   Sickening and makes me disappointed that people would take advantage of a sad situation. Sorry it happened to your MIL, too.

Respected Contributor

This happened with my mom also.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus I am stunned that they would think they could get away with that...also sad to think that people would be comfortable robbing a dying woman.I have only one slightly possible thought on this.Do you think that your mom possibly gave them some of those things?She might have wanted to gift some things for their care?

Honored Contributor

@tiny 2 wrote:

This happened with my mom also.

@tiny 2   Five years ago when my Dad had Hospice and caregivers coming and going, Mom was there to oversee things. I never thought trust would be an issue.

Honored Contributor

That's really sickening.  It's awful when someone needs care and you can't trust the caregivers.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

@Shanus I am stunned that they would think they could get away with that...also sad to think that people would be comfortable robbing a dying woman.I have only one slightly possible thought on this.Do you think that your mom possibly gave them some of those things?She might have wanted to gift some things for their care?

@dex  You have a good heart, but everything was there until she was put in a hospital bed because she was asleep most of the time and not easily handled. When I checked her apartment a few weeks ago, everything was still there and she was in no condition...hardly speaking...to offer any possessions.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus  I'm so sorry to read this.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

It's awful but not at all unusual.  You're talking about low wage people who live paycheck to paycheck and do work that none of us would want to do.  If the patients or the families fail to take adequate precautions, many of those workers will steal from the patients they are paid to care for.   It's just a fact.  An unfortunate fact.