Super Contributor

Re: A HORSE BY ANY OTHER NAME.....

I don't mind staying inside, but yesterday I decided to go for a drive to make sure the car battery was still charged since my car had not been driven in over two weeks. My low tire pressure light came on, I called my garage to make sure they could check tire pressure. I told them I did not want to come in and request they look at my tires, they told me to come and they would come outside. When I got there I called them they came outside put air in the tire and I drove off no contact with anyone face to face. I enjoyed my 20 minutes of being out of the house, I felt safe and did not feel that anyone contaminated me nor did I contaminate anyone.
Honored Contributor

i make as few trips to any store as possible. i have taken a short ride around town a few times just to get out. going outside most days to get some fresh air and sunshine which we have actually had for a couple of days, and warm. feel i need to drive the car 10 minutes at least once a week, according to what i have read! keeping busy with things to do around the house. watching too much tv.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Respected Contributor

@merri , thank you so much for all your work in taking care of those who are very sick. Your commitment is admirable and I believe we are a better nation because of people like you. God Bless you! 

Super Contributor

I have an acquired disability and have now been homebound for six years.

What is painful to me is to read about how bored people are and how much trouble they are having coping - for what will probably be a few months. Its something I can't change and I'll live like this for the rest of my life. And I'm not that old.

Maybe its a good teaching and learning opportunity for people to understand what it's like for people with disabilities. I know this sounds bitter, but imagine what it's like to be me and hear everyone talking about how miserable they are from being home for two weeks and not being able to adjust or handle it.

Honored Contributor

@merri  - Thank you for what you do. 

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

Yes, I know being inside is "safer" but the emotional/pschological effects of being cooped up most of the day and even worse, having nothing to look forward to or plan for is, to say the least, depressing.  See my prior post of either winding up in a loony bin or AA meetings when this is over!!

@kaydee50 

"Nothing to look forward to"!  Depends on ones outlook, not during times like this, but in the weeks and months prior.

I look forward to another tomorrow, primarily. From there I look forward to my wife and myself staying healthy. For me that is all I need to stay positive during these different times. 

Like others, I have no idea if I have another tomorrow, but if and when I do, and they reopen the ice rink? I will be physically fit enough to pick up where I left off. But how many times I fall on that hard ice, I am sure will be more often. As far as AA? I am a recovering alcoholic that hasn't had a drink in 25 years, and an interruption in my life won't effect me in that regard.

Not sure why people that are mobile can't get out for a drive/a walk/a run, or just look at the beauty of nature. Might be something for some to give some thought.

Stay well as possible now, "this too will pass".

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

You ladies living with spouses, as irritating as they can be at times, ought to count your blessings.  I sit here day after day all by myself without a soul with whom to communicate.  Well, there are two souls, my dogs, but their side of the conversations we have leave something to be desired.  All the worries and concerns I have about what's going on are unshared and unspoken and are completely mine to bear.  Any needed food or household items must be found and procured by ME alone, my responsibility.  No, this hasn't been fun.

Me too, @Kachina624.  I've been self-quarantined since mid-March, and I'm all by myself.  I've been sick all this time too, so it definitely hasn't been fun. 

I envy people who have family with them.  It's incredibly hard to be distracted when there's no human contact.  What I would give to hug my kids!

Regular Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

NOT when your house is haunted............

How very interesting!  If I recall you reside in Arizona?  tell us more??

Honored Contributor

Yes, it's tough being stuck at home.  I walk my dog every day.  There is a nearby cemetery we walk through or we just walk around the block a few times a day.  It's amazing to me that so few people are walking in the cemetery now vs. before the pandemic.

I have 6 large trees in my back yard and spent a few nice days cleaning it up from winter.  I have just one side strip and breaking up branches to bag left. I go into a calm, zoned out mental place, when working in the yard.

Go for a walk.  Read a book. Work in the yard.  Do spring cleaning.  Try a new recipe. Play games with kids.  Clean out your closet.  Talk to family and friends over the phone, skype, facetime.  People are so busy so take advantage and learn how to enjoy down time.