Respected Contributor

Re: A Family visited me and I was rather surprised by....

To start, I am no prude,and no topic was out of bounds with my kids. I feel well educated children are of utmost importance. Along with tolerance and understanding.

Last night I watched a bit of a game show remake.

I learned that you could hang a donut on "it". 

This titillation as some call it, is, I believe aimed at thirteen year old boys. No adult would find it so. 

To me, it is a very cheap way to make a buck. Much more difficult to ask for answers requiring thought.

Respected Contributor

Very true that kids today are more wordly than we were UPFRONT..oh sure we knew the score/deal but it was not discussed in "mixed company" as my grandmother would say.

That said - if she was offended that is her right, she said something and was told by the parent it was fine. Again up to the parent on that one.

My confusion is what is the big deal of not being able to say the name of the show?  Why would that be top secret?

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

I walked in to my family room and saw what my guests were watching on TV.  Without naming names I was appalled.  It was a gameshow with rather suggestive topics.  In this room were two adults and and 2  boy children under the age of 13.  I walked out and actually found myself with mixed emotions, mostly anger and surprise.  After the show ended and I went back in the room and  guestioned one of the adults, the mother.  I was told it was the 21st century and kids know about these things and accept these topics as normal.  It was infered that I was behind the times and schools were fully addressing these issues to make kids more tolerant.  Yikes. 

Was I out of line to even mention that I though something that seemed unappropriate was freely shared?? And no you can only guess.. I will not say anymore. 

***********  If your guests were aware of your standards and went ahead a did this, that would have been disrespectful.  If they had no clue as to what your standards were on this subject than I think it was appropriate to share your dislike of it.  If they were respectful of how you felt and the fact that this was your home, they should have taken the hint and turned the channel instead of infering that you were "behind the times".  In my opinion that was rude.

Esteemed Contributor

I remember watching "The Newly Wed Game" back in the '70's, and I distinctly remember one question was "Do you have a pet name for your husband's dinghy?"

I said, in all of my innocence, "He didn't mean to say that. He meant to say '******'."

My mom said, "Yes, he did mean to say that."

So, double-entandreas and titillation has been on game shows for a long, long time.

It isn't anything new.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jubilant wrote:

@bonnielu wrote:

I walked in to my family room and saw what my guests were watching on TV.  Without naming names I was appalled.  It was a gameshow with rather suggestive topics.  In this room were two adults and and 2  boy children under the age of 13.  I walked out and actually found myself with mixed emotions, mostly anger and surprise.  After the show ended and I went back in the room and  guestioned one of the adults, the mother.  I was told it was the 21st century and kids know about these things and accept these topics as normal.  It was infered that I was behind the times and schools were fully addressing these issues to make kids more tolerant.  Yikes. 

Was I out of line to even mention that I though something that seemed unappropriate was freely shared?? And no you can only guess.. I will not say anymore. 

***********  If your guests were aware of your standards and went ahead a did this, that would have been disrespectful.  If they had no clue as to what your standards were on this subject than I think it was appropriate to share your dislike of it.  If they were respectful of how you felt and the fact that this was your home, they should have taken the hint and turned the channel instead of infering that you were "behind the times".  In my opinion that was rude.

I agree with you to a point.  For me, it would depend on who these people are.  Is the mother the OP's daughter?  Or is she someone the OP doesn't know very well?  It seems that they're probably close relatives since there were 4 of them and they were watching TV.   I could be totally off-base, but the impression I got was that they were close family, staying for a few nights or just overnight. 

Maybe the mother is the OP's daughter, and there's always been tugs-of-war over things like this.  It also depends on exactly what the OP said, which might have sounded confrontational.  I think it's hard to judge without knowing what the actual relationships are and what the dynamic has been between the OP and the mother.

eta:  I don't mean to imply that the OP should provide these details.  Not at all, and I hope I didn't give that impression.  My point is just that who these people are would make a difference as to whether or not I thought the mother's response was rude.

Esteemed Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

I remember watching "The Newly Wed Game" back in the '70's, and I distinctly remember one question was "Do you have a pet name for your husband's dinghy?"

I said, in all of my innocence, "He didn't mean to say that. He meant to say '******'."

So, double-entandreas and titillation has been on game shows for a long, long time.

It isn't anything new.

Most definitely it isn't anything new.  And it goes over the heads of kids who are too young to understand.  There are movies like that too - aimed for kids, but with some suggestive stuff tossed in for adults who are astute enough to catch it.  

And it's better, IMO, for kids to be exposed to things they might be curious about while they're sitting side-by-side with their parents.  I certainly wouldn't watch an x-rated movie with kids around, but I have no problem with game shows.

Regular Contributor

To me there was only one issue here and it had nothing to do with what tv programs the parents let their children watch.  That was none of OP"s business and I would have been wrong to address it.  The only issue here was whether or not she wanted any of the guests breaking off and watching tv....any of the guests.  Her house or not, she has no right to dictate to people how they should raise their children.  There was a way to handle the situation but she chose not to take it.  I can't figure out why if she objected to much to a run of the mill tv show, she didn't just "invite" her guests to do something else.  She could have made a joke of it  "come on guys, you can watch tv at home"  "this is party, let's have some fun".  Something to that effect.  

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

It isn't anything new.

HaHa HaHa!

I remember a question one time, Bob was asking about their honeymoon night and the questions was something like:

Who/which describes your husbands performance on your wedding night?  Was he *Raising Cain* or *Wasn't Abel*?

Honored Contributor

Yes, you were out of line.  What those parents allow their kids to watch on tv is their business, not yours.  No one put anyone in charge of policing parenting (unless it's abusive).  

Trusted Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

It isn't anything new.

Most definitely it isn't anything new.  And it goes over the heads of kids who are too young to understand.  There are movies like that too - aimed for kids, but with some suggestive stuff tossed in for adults who are astute enough to catch it.  

And it's better, IMO, for kids to be exposed to things they might be curious about while they're sitting side-by-side with their parents.  I certainly wouldn't watch an x-rated movie with kids around, but I have no problem with game shows.

@NYC Susan  And t.v. shows like Family Guy (love😁) or the Simpson's.