Esteemed Contributor

A Family visited me and I was rather surprised by....

[ Edited ]

I walked in to my family room and saw what my guests were watching on TV.  Without naming names I was appalled.  It was a gameshow with rather suggestive topics.  In this room were two adults and and 2  boy children under the age of 13.  I walked out and actually found myself with mixed emotions, mostly anger and surprise.  After the show ended and I went back in the room and  guestioned one of the adults, the mother.  I was told it was the 21st century and kids know about these things and accept these topics as normal.  It was infered that I was behind the times and schools were fully addressing these issues to make kids more tolerant.  Yikes. 

Was I out of line to even mention that I though something that seemed unappropriate was freely shared?? And no you can only guess.. I will not say anymore. 

Honored Contributor

Re: A Family visited me and I was rather surprised by....

I don't think I would have said anything.  With the kids parents in the room, they knew what the kids were watching.

Honored Contributor

It's YOUR family room. Maybe next time they'll ask if such and such is ok to watch at your house. 

Honored Contributor

bonnielu, I believe you are well within your prerogative to question the propriety of any given show that is being watched in your house.  In fact, it is good, in my opinion.  Because people are so afraid now of being labeled "judgmental", they often don't speak up when they feel something is wrong-- and society is worse off for that, in my opinion.

We don't have to be rude when we express dissent with whatever is going on.  Personally, I think it is a kindness to gently show others that there is more than one way of looking at various follies we may be witnessing.  Many people today honestly don't know that there are other standards by which to look at things, because they haven't been taught.

I respect your courage to express your principles. 

Esteemed Contributor

Something being suggestive is relative.  What might be considered suggestive to you might not be to me and others.  And vice versa.

Esteemed Contributor

What show was it?

Honored Contributor

if you didnt want them watching that show in your home then you could have said something to the parents that you dont allow that type of show on in your home. they would probably be made to feel uncomfortable, but if that is what you wanted, then you have the right.

i make sure my guest rooms have a television. that way my guests can feel comfortable watching whatever is on tv in their own rooms.

it really isnt your right to question what they allow their children to watch though.

i am wondering what game show it is also?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@bonnielu you are certainly entitled to your feeling about this program, I may eve share them, however, I would never want to embarrass my guests by suggesting that their choice of programs was inappropriate. I don't see my role as host as the teacher of lessons. JMO.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bonnielu..Does the host of this family show also have at least two other shows? Is there feuding involved, if so I agree with you..I no longer watch that show....

Esteemed Contributor

My guess is that the show was "Family Feud." Sexual innuendo is what this quiz show is known for. I don't know whether kids can be protected from the dumb stuff that comes out of the contestants. Clearly, the production powers-that-be want to titlillte rather than entertain.