Honored Contributor

Re: A Christmas tree is......

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

Are there any Hanukkah candelabra for sell? Just wondering.

They're called menorah and yes, QVC offers quite a few of them.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

Are there any Hanukkah candelabra for sell? Just wondering.

@Group 5 minus 1- It's called a menorah and yes, QVC sells them.

Honored Contributor

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

So many people have a tree, exchange presents etc and do not include any religious aspect to the holiday.

PS The origin of the tree is not connected to anyone’s birth.
Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Christmas is a big party and a celebration and a feel good time for most people whatever their faith.

For me it is also celebrating my faith, being thankful, remembering and worshiping.

But the two are NOT the same thing, and Christmas-the Party and my faith are not the same thing.  Every person is free to make what they want out of it.  To me it's no time to nit-pick it.  Not the point of either celebration.

Exactly, there's the religious holiday and then there's the secular holiday season most often associated with Christmas. Enjoy it or ignore it, an individual choice. As far as it goes, many of my Jewish friends celebrate the season with trees, gifts and parties. When it gets right down to it, Hanukkah is not among the Jewish High Holidays/High Holy Days, so attempts to equate it with Christmas are innaccurate. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

With all the Christmas stuff they offer, you'd think they'd get some training on the history of the Christmas tree. They say anything to sell whatever & to "be inclusive"

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Helen Bach  

@Calcgirl  I also had a friend, back in the 70's who was Jewish and had a "Hannukah bush" for her children. Her mother in law

refused to come into her house while the tree was up.

For Christians, the Christmas tree is a symbol of Christmas.

Long before Christanity, the Druids brought greens indoors at the winter solstice. Prince Albert, Queen Victoria's husband, brought the tradition of a Christmas tree, from Germany.

I think that now, most people don't think of Christmas trees and Santa, as being connected to religion. It has become so commercialized.

Trusted Contributor

Nowadays people use "Christmas trees" all year long. You can decorate them for fall and they are your "autumn tree."

Ditto spring.

I'd love to have one up all year long and decorate for each season.

Trusted Contributor

@Enufstuff wrote:

@Helen Bach  

@Calcgirl  I also had a friend, back in the 70's who was Jewish and had a "Hannukah bush" for her children. Her mother in law

refused to come into her house while the tree was up.

For Christians, the Christmas tree is a symbol of Christmas.

Long before Christanity, the Druids brought greens indoors at the winter solstice. Prince Albert, Queen Victoria's husband, brought the tradition of a Christmas tree, from Germany.

I think that now, most people don't think of Christmas trees and Santa, as being connected to religion. It has become so commercialized.

Enufstuff, Maybe that was her intent in putting up the tree, keeping her mother-in-law at bay. LOL.  My mother-in-law was a witch, all she needed was a broom.  Very mean, so my husband told her if she could not come over and be pleasant, she was no welcome to come over. Thankfully we moved out of state and only saw her once afterward before she died of alcoholism.  When her husband was dying of cancer, she got mad at him and threw a hot iron at him.

Respected Contributor

It's a tree. How you decorate it makes it whatever you want. Easy-peasy.

Trusted Contributor

@Malcontent wrote:

My son was raised Roman Catholic and my DIL was raised in the Jewish faith. I’m thinking of sending this H324174 to them. They would think it’s funny because it encapsulates their life together in raising their children in/with two faiths.

I love this !