Honored Contributor

@Azcowgirl @patbz  My daughter just got back from Hawaii.  She spent 3 weeks there with her amity.  Her husband’s brother owns a condo there.  They all go often.

We traveled a lot but we’ve never been interested of going there.

I bought my daughter the same machine with all of the trappings.   I don’t do anything 1/2 way, I even gave her 3 bags of crystal ice!  Ha!

She is an aficionado of shaved ice.  She said she prefers the way our machine serves it up.....because, like I posted...we are ice chewers.  

It cuts it up into tiny chew size crystals.  Hummmm.  I think I’ll go make some......

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66   Loved cherry snowcones as a kid, haven't had one in years.  Could have used one last week when temps were unbearable.

A note on the ice chewing.  Years ago my daughter started chewing ice, it drove me crazy.  She did it all the time.  It turned out chewing ice or things with no nutrional value (known as pica) is a sign of possible iron deficiency. She went to the Dr. she was doing it so much.  Blood test showed her iron was low and they put her on iron pills for while and it stopped and she hasn't done it since. It was weird.

Of course, some people just like doing it.  Enjoy your snowcones.  Where did you get your machine?

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2  I hear that all of the time from people.  But I used to have my daughter's blood checked (due to that) and it was always fine.

As for me, well, my blood is checked a lot because I have a blood disorder (nothing to do with pica).  Here's something for you.  My cats have been diagnosed with pica.

You see, the pica description is wide ranging.  

Anyway, with the two of us (and other's I've met) it's a habit that I find enjoyable.

I used to do it all of the time, then I stopped because between blowing bubbles (another habit I used to have...not clicking gum (which I hate the sound) but blowing bubbles) my late husband hated it....so I love him, so I quit (is that not the mother of run on sentences). Ha!

But actually, that's a little insight as to how my brain works.  It's a series of run on sentences... They don't make a lot of sense so friends and family just move on from them.

OK, where was I?  Ummm....(I'm thinking).  I just like to chew.  I diagnosed myself with the reason until my daughter was born then I realized my 'theory' was bunk (that's a word not used much anymore....bunk!

You see, I only lived with my mother until I was around 3 months old, so I thought the mouth thing and chewing was because I was seeking some kind of 'gratification'.  THEN I had my 3 amazing daughters and decided ...... well...like I said, I was full of something and it wasn't a large brain.

Anyway, enough of my blatering....I know it's not pica with me because blood is good and I went for a long time without chewing ice.  I love blowing bubbles (wom a contest back when I was a kid)...I wonder what THEY say about blowing bubbles....no, that's OK, I don't want to know...now, don't any of you go there.....I'm warning you...Ha!

If anything I try to limit the amount of cherry (always the cherry) surup I put on lit because it's pure sugar.

I will admit I've become popular with friends in the neighborhood (it must be the snowcones).  

I've also made an unscientific discovery....most people love blueberry flavor snowcones....AND Hawaiian ice doesn't seem to make the flavor ORANGE (another of my 'go to' flavors....What's that about anyway?

Better go, Bill the cat wants to sit on my neck.  Yes, I said neck.  You see my belly gets in the way of my lap and provides a 'shelf' for him to sit on right under my neck!

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66   I had heard of pica in relation to people eating dirt etc, but never about it and the ice thing relative to iron until DD.  I thought she was kidding when she told me it was due to iron deficiency.  You learn something new every day.

I prefer cherry flavor.  In popcicles I also like root beer or vanillla.  I won't touch orange or grape.

Gosh, I haven't had bubblegum in decades.  I don't how much  gum I got out of my kids hair. It seemed to always find it's way there.