Esteemed Contributor

@jeanlake wrote:

Dad talked to us kids as if we were adults. Often I didn't understand him until years later. But when I'd complain about a conflict with a neighbor friend, school chum or sibling he'd say 'familiarity breeds contempt so work through your contempt."  In oher words, knowing a person very well means it's easy to see things that create disrespect and annoyance and it would be easy to become careless in those relationships. No doubt his words saved my marriage a few times. 

Your dad was a wonderful, wise man.  Your quote is new to me, but right on.  Elements of scorn there, always a bad thing.

Honored Contributor

I personally would not feel comfortable talking about any year's itch with people, although fun and interesting, are total strangers.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

My husband and I just celebrated our 46th anniversary.  We've had our share of ups and downs; argued over stupid and trivial things, but no one ever left.  

I was about 8 when I first saw my husband, and God brought him back in my life shortly after I graduated high school.   I firmly believe we were meant to be together, and have never felt there's another man on this earth for me.   

I've witnessed the 7 year itch with family and friends, and in nearly every situation, the problems started in the 2-5 year range and the marriages were hanging by a thread at 7 years when someone either cheated, or they just decided to call it quits.   

Honored Contributor

Re: 7 Year Itch anyone?

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I personally would not feel comfortable talking about any year's itch with people, although fun and interesting, are total strangers.

I think it depends upon what your definition of "7 yr. itch" is. I don't take it to mean a roving eye or longing for a new partner.  I take it to mean a marriage that has gone stagnant for whatever reason. That could be many things.  A one up one down situation, married to a controller or a narcissist, someone verbally abusive, or lazy, or emotionally abusive... etcetera.   All these things can create disappointment and disillusionment in a marrige even if you still love your partner. After so many years of getting "no where" that's what happens. 

Sometimes talking about our experience to others can help those going through such things now.  One doesn't have to give every detail.  

Honored Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I think it depends upon what your definition of "7 yr. itch" is. I don't take it to mean a roving eye or longing for a new partner.  I take it to mean a marriage that has gone stagnant for whatever reason. That could be many things.  A one up one down situation, married to a controller or a narcissist, someone verbally abusive, or lazy, or emotionally abusive... etcetera.   All these things can create disappointment and disillusionment in a marrige even if you still love your partner. After so many years of getting "no where" that's what happens. 

Sometimes talking about our experience to others can help those going through such things now.  One doesn't have to give every detail.  I think it's good to let others know that some of us made it through these trials and are still "in love" with each other 30 to 40 yrs. down the road!       

Of course you make a good point, @jubilant, and people can chat about anything they feel like here. But I'm old enough to remember the movie, so I still think of it as that wandering feeling. :-) For sure, I understand that feeling but just choose not to post about it.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

All I know for a fact is it takes 2 to make the marriage work.  I dont care what you say or do it takes both people.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Super Contributor

COULD you PLEASE POST ???   We WOULD LoVe tO HEAR ! ! ! ! !