Respected Contributor

Re: 60th Wedding Anniversary

@arubakathy wrote:

Recently invited to a 60th Wedding Anniversary Luncheon. Of course they are requesting 'no gifts'. I still want to bring them something but don't know what. Any suggestions? I can only come up with a gift card, but that doesn't sound very exciting. Help! 

P.S. The husband has been disabled for many years due to an accident. 

is it that difficult to adhere to the couples wishes?  must you single yourself out, as the "generous one" who just HAD to bring a gift anyway?  No different than attending a party where the gift limit is $10, and you have to be the one who spends $20. trying to look like a generous/big spender?  as another poster suggested, if you must, give a gift at a later date, "just because".

Honored Contributor

What part of 'NO GIFTS" does no one understand?  smh

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@arubakathy It always astounds me when people post this kind of thing!!! Why not HONOR the request of 'no gifts"????  If you must, give the card and GC and let that be the end of it.

People request NO GIFTS for a reason. I think it's rude to ignore this specific wish.

Sounds like a bid for attention. Very rude.

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

Wasn't there a long thread about this very subject a week or so ago? 

@tends2dogs. Seems like it has been longer but I think we exhausted the tipic.  Can't imagine people being so rude as to disregard their host's requests.  They just cause embarrassment.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

The subject gets beat to death about every other month.

Trusted Contributor

I understand why people ask about this.  We were invited to a 50th Anniversary dinner party.  The invitation said, "No gifts...", so we didn't bring anything but a card.  Imagine my feelings when I went to fing the place for cards, and I found a table, loaded with gifts as well as a box for cards.  I will NEVER do that again.  I'll bring something  along with a card.

Honored Contributor

What do people have against "no gifts" requests?    I think since you are giving them a gift for what you will get out of it and not at all for them at all, you should give them whatever you want to give them.  They have already made their wishes known but you are choosing ignore that.  

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

Yes, it comes up all the time.  Honestly, I think giving a gift when someone has requested no gift is one of the rudest and ill mannered things a person can do.   

Super Contributor

Maybe a donation to a charity that they would be interested in. 

Honored Contributor

You could make a donation to their church, charity, or other cause you know they care about, in honor of their 60th anniversary, and put the notice of that inside the card.