Reply
Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 18,038
Registered: ‎11-25-2011

Re: 60% of Americans Can't Pass a Civics Test!


@Patbz wrote:

@sidsmom :  How do you know which button to push, if you don't understand what's going on (or even if "it" is legal)?


I listened to Schoolhouse Rock.

😆

 

I'm just a bill.
Yes, I'm only a bill.
And I'm sitting here on Capitol Hill.
Well, it's a long, long journey
To the capital city.
It's a long, long wait
While I'm sitting in committee,
But I know I'll be a law someday
At least I hope and pray that I will,
But today I am still just a bill.

DE7CAE82-D292-4C0F-B1A8-8A0E1A4F5AC0.jpeg

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 18,038
Registered: ‎11-25-2011

Re: 60% of Americans Can't Pass a Civics Test!


@Peaches McPhee wrote:

Confession:  I am 59 years old, and have never taken a class called "civics".  I have a vague idea of what it is, and I assume I've learned it in other classes called other things, but I guess I am not sure.


@Peaches McPhee 

Same age.

Like someone said...it was prob called Social Studies.

I don't remember a thing about that...

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,211
Registered: ‎08-10-2013

Re: 60% of Americans Can't Pass a Civics Test!


@luvmybeetle wrote:

I once had a work mate that thought Paris was a state.  She was not young.  She said this in front of a few people at work.  I thought I was going to slap her.  I was so angry.  When I told her it was a country in Europe, she said, "Well I didn't know"  very sarcastically.  I'm really scared for our country.


I would like to correct MYSELF.  Paris is not a country it's a city in France.  I knew that.  

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,211
Registered: ‎08-10-2013

Re: 60% of Americans Can't Pass a Civics Test!


@haddon9 wrote:

@luvmybeetle wrote:

I once had a work mate that thought Paris was a state.  She was not young.  She said this in front of a few people at work.  I thought I was going to slap her.  I was so angry.  When I told her it was a country in Europe, she said, "Well I didn't know"  very sarcastically.  I'm really scared for our country.


@luvmybeetle   I'm sure it was just a typo but Paris is a city in France which is a country in Europe.  Then of course there is also a city named Paris in Texas and I wouldn't be surprised if there were other towns or cities named Paris as well.


Thanks, it was a typo but it looks very ignorant on my part, so when I saw it I reversed myself.  My apologies to all.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 10,778
Registered: ‎10-25-2010

Re: 60% of Americans Can't Pass a Civics Test!


@bathina wrote:

@CARMIE wrote:

@bathina wrote:

@qbetzforreal wrote:

@Annabellethecat- Would you cite where you obtained this "60%" statistic.  Your post doesn't mention where you got this information.


It's not true. If you google, you can find a website with a chart of all states REQUIRING civics classes for students. The majority of states require it. There are 8 or 9 states that require you pass a civics test to graduate.


My grandkids live in a state that requires civics and history, but their schools only touch on the subjects.   My oldest granddaughter is a senior this year and practically knows nothing.  I was reciting a poem about Paul Rever to her for fun and she had no idea who he was.  I asked her about other people from American history and she never heard it them either.

 

I can recite the Preamble by heart.  Both girls never heard it before.

 

My younger granddaughter who is a freshman takes excelerated classes. She is a grade A honor student.  I constantly ask her about her "dummed down" classes.  She is very prolific in math and science, but knows very little about history and civics.  

 

I was happy that she joined an after school club where they discuss American politics and I was equally happy to hear that the class does research.  The studengs are not Coached as towhat party or candidates are good or bad.  They research and make their own decisions and discuss it.

 

Our young people are not stupid, but they are uneducated in many things that are deemed unimportant today.  I honestly feel my education was so much better than theirs.


Maybe it's just not your grandkids' "thing". My grandson loves social studies and can tell you how legislation is made. He's 9. Everyone is different. I'm not surprised 60% can't pass the test, but it's not because schools don't teach it.


Your comments Don't make sense.  Since my youngest granddaughter joined an after school club to learn about civics and politics, it sounds like it is her thing.

 

My other granddaughter seems to not have been taught or offered any courses.    She will be 18 this coming summer and is looking forward to voting, so she is interested.

 

I can assure you that SOME schools either don't teach it or just go over it quickly.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 10,778
Registered: ‎10-25-2010

Re: 60% of Americans Can't Pass a Civics Test!


@JJsMom wrote:

@Annabellethecat wrote:

 

 

Boomers (I'm prejudiced) are the last generation who takes a real interest in the entire countries problems.  Not just those who interest them.....

 

OK, go ahead let me hear from some of you.............


There was a recent study that showed seniors were most likely to spread fake news on social media. So there's that.


How many seniors are actually on social media?  Very few in comparison to the younger crowd.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 10,778
Registered: ‎10-25-2010

Re: 60% of Americans Can't Pass a Civics Test!


@sidsmom wrote:

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

Confession:  I am 59 years old, and have never taken a class called "civics".  I have a vague idea of what it is, and I assume I've learned it in other classes called other things, but I guess I am not sure.


@Peaches McPhee 

Same age.

Like someone said...it was prob called Social Studies.

I don't remember a thing about that...


When my kids were in school..social studies were history and geography combined.  Not  very effective IMO.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,977
Registered: ‎08-28-2010

Re: 60% of Americans Can't Pass a Civics Test!


@CARMIE wrote:

@JJsMom wrote:

@Annabellethecat wrote:

 

 

Boomers (I'm prejudiced) are the last generation who takes a real interest in the entire countries problems.  Not just those who interest them.....

 

OK, go ahead let me hear from some of you.............


There was a recent study that showed seniors were most likely to spread fake news on social media. So there's that.


How many seniors are actually on social media?  Very few in comparison to the younger crowd.


There many seniors participating in the QVC Forums.  The forums are a form of social media.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 10,778
Registered: ‎10-25-2010

Re: 60% of Americans Can't Pass a Civics Test!

@qbetzforreal   Yeah, that's a given.  Most of the posters here are older on the QVC forums.

 

But there are still many more younger folks on social media in general.  QVC's forums are a like a small drop of water in a big ocean.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,916
Registered: ‎03-14-2010

Re: 60% of Americans Can't Pass a Civics Test!


@CARMIE wrote:

@bathina wrote:

@CARMIE wrote:

@bathina wrote:

@qbetzforreal wrote:

@Annabellethecat- Would you cite where you obtained this "60%" statistic.  Your post doesn't mention where you got this information.


It's not true. If you google, you can find a website with a chart of all states REQUIRING civics classes for students. The majority of states require it. There are 8 or 9 states that require you pass a civics test to graduate.


My grandkids live in a state that requires civics and history, but their schools only touch on the subjects.   My oldest granddaughter is a senior this year and practically knows nothing.  I was reciting a poem about Paul Rever to her for fun and she had no idea who he was.  I asked her about other people from American history and she never heard it them either.

 

I can recite the Preamble by heart.  Both girls never heard it before.

 

My younger granddaughter who is a freshman takes excelerated classes. She is a grade A honor student.  I constantly ask her about her "dummed down" classes.  She is very prolific in math and science, but knows very little about history and civics.  

 

I was happy that she joined an after school club where they discuss American politics and I was equally happy to hear that the class does research.  The studengs are not Coached as towhat party or candidates are good or bad.  They research and make their own decisions and discuss it.

 

Our young people are not stupid, but they are uneducated in many things that are deemed unimportant today.  I honestly feel my education was so much better than theirs.


Maybe it's just not your grandkids' "thing". My grandson loves social studies and can tell you how legislation is made. He's 9. Everyone is different. I'm not surprised 60% can't pass the test, but it's not because schools don't teach it.


Your comments Don't make sense.  Since my youngest granddaughter joined an after school club to learn about civics and politics, it sounds like it is her thing.

 

My other granddaughter seems to not have been taught or offered any courses.    She will be 18 this coming summer and is looking forward to voting, so she is interested.

 

I can assure you that SOME schools either don't teach it or just go over it quickly.  


My comments make complete sense. Maybe the kids didn't take it seriously. Maybe they didn't pay attention. Maybe they forgot what they learned. Could be any number of reasons.

I can assure you that the majority of states REQUIRE civics classes and some states require students pass a civics test to graduate high school. If it's a requirement, it's being taught.

Great that your granddaughter wants to vote. It's important.