Esteemed Contributor

Re: 60% of Americans Can't Pass a Civics Test!

Many school districts across the country are no longer teaching civics or U.S. history. Very sad indeed because these kids do not appreciate or understand how wonderful this country is.

Honored Contributor

Sadly this is true and it has been a gradual change.  I worked in an urban school system and in the seventies I witnessed the changes.  Mind you I worked at the high school I graduated from among many other schools.  The dress code was gone, discipline went from strict to less , courses were easier and it was the thought of the essay that counted not the grammar or format, standards were basically and in general lowered.  When you lower standards, you are not doing justice to students, they aren't being challenged or pushed to their potential.  Mediocrity became acceptable.

I am not at all surprised at people reading less, not knowing how to compose a paragraph, do simple math, and not being able to pass a test about how their country governs and works.  It is so detrimental especially in these times of turmoil.

This is so much more to say.  Ignorance has created a big void.  I'm not saying ignorance didn't exist years ago, it always has.  But I see it as getting worse and today I am frightened at the extent of it and the damage it has done and does. The issues are complex and this is a nutshell of my opinion.

Respected Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

Many school districts across the country are no longer teaching civics or U.S. history. Very sad indeed because these kids do not appreciate or understand how wonderful this country is.

Do you have statistics to back up your statements? 

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Respected Contributor

It is truly saddening. Text books are no longer comprehensive and teaching is selective. Curriculum objectives are vague. We learn from past mistakes and victories but somehow that does not seem important to educators. A walk through classrooms is eye-opening but public unaware. Most people just concerned with the grade, not content.
Esteemed Contributor

Most younger Americans get there "civics" teaching from social media in some form or another. I doubt that most even fact check everything they read or see before making assumptions . (sigh). There is a program for all the things we were taught in school, so perhaps there is no real need for them to" know". All that is required  now, is to know how to push a button, or speak into a microphone and voila; instant "knowledge". It is sad when you see an adult that does not even know who the current governor of their state is. I have seen such a person. Technology has proven itself to be a blessing and a" curse". I am however, grateful for it.😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No surprise...

I wonder what the % of folks can just name all 50 states? I know many my age (I'm a boomer) that only know about 50% or less like just the more commonly known states like Florida, Texas, California, New York, etc.

How many of those can sit with a jigsaw puzzle of just 50 pieces and place all the states where they belong?...simple American geography...

One would be surprised with the results. To me, this is even more basic info I would think we should have all learned in school. Somehow even that wasn't even universal...nevermind gov issues.

Anyone remember Schoolhouse Rock?  'I'm just a bill...'  

Regular Contributor

This will probbly get booted, but sometimes it seems as isome of the people in the higher echelons of our goverbnment couldn't pass a civics test. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@scruffsmom wrote:

This will probably get booted, but sometimes it seems as some of the people in the higher echelons of our goverment couldn't pass a civics test. 

@scruffsmom   Drop the mic...BOOM!

Super Contributor

I agree. As a former Canadian citizen, I had to do a quick tutorial on it for my US citizenship test. I passed with flying colors. DH said all too many young people would not have passed it. I will see that my grandchildren get some in the form of books and such I can give them. 

Esteemed Contributor

@mom2four0418 :  Per N.Y.Post:  18% of high schools still teach Civics.  This is not a new problem:  when I was in school (graduated H.S. 1962)we were taught very little about WW2 and nothing about the Holocaust.  One Jewish parent actually had an assembly for all eighth graders (hours long, along with graphic documentary) to teach us about this.  I graduated from a top tier high school that was at least 70% Jewish.