Respected Contributor

Re: 60% of Americans Can't Pass a Civics Test!

@this is my nic wrote:

I'm not surprised that many Americans can't pass a civics test.  Doubt it's taught in most public schools, but you can bet they teach sex ed.  

Civics was taught in 9th grade when I was in school, and, sadly over the years I probably have forgotten most of what I once knew.  🙀

@this is my nic  I agree - and why I always take these little quizzes!   To test/push/refresh my memory. The one I can't believe is there have been a few floating around online saying a large percentage of ppl can't even pass things taught in second or third grade.  I passed that one pretty easily but was surprised at some of the questions bc I didn't think they were 2nd grade material and in some of the comments a few elementary teachers weighed in saying the same thing!  

Reminds me of the old show - Are you Smarter than a 5th Grader?  And I didn't always do great on some of those questions either!

Honored Contributor

Heck, many can barely read or write. Making change is out of the question for most.  Our education system is failing big time. 

Respected Contributor

Being acquainted with my neighbor who is a social studies teacher, I am not surprised by situation in education. Oh, I must mention that he ran for city council a few years ago indicating he had spare time. Fortunately lost but number of votes he got scared me. He personally does not adhere to city regulations on home and yard maintenance. Less than 10 inches high grass? No need to cut. Rules are for others.