Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: 60% of Americans Can't Pass a Civics Test!

@SandySparkles wrote:

Most younger Americans get there "civics" teaching from social media in some form or another. I doubt that most even fact check everything they read or see before making assumptions . (sigh). There is a program for all the things we were taught in school, so perhaps there is no real need for them to" know". All that is required  now, is to know how to push a button, or speak into a microphone and voila; instant "knowledge". It is sad when you see an adult that does not even know who the current governor of their state is. I have seen such a person. Technology has proven itself to be a blessing and a" curse". I am however, grateful for it.😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

I think this applies to all ages.  The ignorance about how government works sometimes astounds me.

Respected Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

I think this applies to all ages.  The ignorance about how government works sometimes astounds me.

Especially when it's people who SHOULD KNOW. There is a total diregard for our Constitution.

Honored Contributor

@luvmybeetle wrote:

I once had a work mate that thought Paris was a state.  She was not young.  She said this in front of a few people at work.  I thought I was going to slap her.  I was so angry.  When I told her it was a country in Europe, she said, "Well I didn't know"  very sarcastically.  I'm really scared for our country.

Oh, the irony.

Trusted Contributor

our schools are not teaching cursive handwritin g any more.

i feel that we have come to expect that education is not of any value anymore.

Esteemed Contributor

@Miami Spices, that was the plan. Act stupid and you are out.

Respected Contributor

@luvmybeetle wrote:

I once had a work mate that thought Paris was a state.  She was not young.  She said this in front of a few people at work.  I thought I was going to slap her.  I was so angry.  When I told her it was a country in Europe, she said, "Well I didn't know"  very sarcastically.  I'm really scared for our country.

Hmmmm

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Among the things that worry me is the seemingly ignorance of any concept of the economy or the facts about income and outflow.  

What are these kids going to do when they get older and the bills are more than their income?  And yes, it could happen.  They think oh goody things just get paid for.  Somehow.  What we want will just magically happen because we say so. . . 

Well with all the promises of free stuff, it's not hard to understand why they are confused.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Susan Louise wrote:

No surprise...

I wonder what the % of folks can just name all 50 states? I know many my age (I'm a boomer) that only know about 50% or less like just the more commonly known states like Florida, Texas, California, New York, etc.

How many of those can sit with a jigsaw puzzle of just 50 pieces and place all the states where they belong?...simple American geography...

One would be surprised with the results. To me, this is even more basic info I would think we should have all learned in school. Somehow even that wasn't even universal...nevermind gov issues.

Anyone remember Schoolhouse Rock?  'I'm just a bill...'  

@Susan Louise   I for one can place all of the states where they belong if a jigsaw puzzle was placed in front of me.  That's because my 16 year old granddaughter showed me the game, "Stack the States" she had on her cell phone when she was 7 years old and I became addicted.  I still play the game after all these years.  I loved geography and history when in school and still have an interest in both. 

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I took civics. It was a requirement for graduation in HS. Now civics is part of social studies curriculum or known as US government classes in some states. Problem is there is almost no way to teach civics without politics rearing it’s ugly head, so the curriculum is constantly changed and edited. I taught 8th grade US history through the reconstruction era...and we covered the constitution, bill of rights, Declaration of Independence, and other milestones. Today, civics seems to refer to how local and state government works. I cringe when I see news people interviewing people on the street, asking questions like who was our first president, how many original colonies were there, or showing pics of former presidents from the past twenty years and having them be clueless to anything. Their teachers must be so proud...😬 and to think these people vote!

Honored Contributor

Was thrilled to hear in our state that they decided to re-introduce cursive handwriting into the elementary curriculum. They never should have taken it out!