Respected Contributor

Re: 60% of Americans Can't Pass a Civics Test!

@Carmie wrote:

@bathina wrote:

@qbetzforreal wrote:

@Annabellethecat66- Would you cite where you obtained this "60%" statistic.  Your post doesn't mention where you got this information.

It's not true. If you google, you can find a website with a chart of all states REQUIRING civics classes for students. The majority of states require it. There are 8 or 9 states that require you pass a civics test to graduate.

My grandkids live in a state that requires civics and history, but their schools only touch on the subjects.   My oldest granddaughter is a senior this year and practically knows nothing.  I was reciting a poem about Paul Rever to her for fun and she had no idea who he was.  I asked her about other people from American history and she never heard it them either.

I can recite the Preamble by heart.  Both girls never heard it before.

My younger granddaughter who is a freshman takes excelerated classes. She is a grade A honor student.  I constantly ask her about her "dummed down" classes.  She is very prolific in math and science, but knows very little about history and civics.  

I was happy that she joined an after school club where they discuss American politics and I was equally happy to hear that the class does research.  The studengs are not Coached as towhat party or candidates are good or bad.  They research and make their own decisions and discuss it.

Our young people are not stupid, but they are uneducated in many things that are deemed unimportant today.  I honestly feel my education was so much better than theirs.

Maybe it's just not your grandkids' "thing". My grandson loves social studies and can tell you how legislation is made. He's 9. Everyone is different. I'm not surprised 60% can't pass the test, but it's not because schools don't teach it.

Respected Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

Confession:  I am 59 years old, and have never taken a class called "civics".  I have a vague idea of what it is, and I assume I've learned it in other classes called other things, but I guess I am not sure.

It may have been called Social Studies. 

Respected Contributor

A one semester Civics course is (and was when I was in school back in the dark ages) required, along with 2.5 semesters of other Social Studies courses, to obtain a high school diploma in Michigan. But just because someone passes the course, that doesn't mean they're going to retain what they've learned, especially if it's not their "thing". I'd have to read up on a lot of the material to get up to speed again, but I can calculate complex formulas and analyze financial statements at a glance because that's MY "thing". 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

I think our schools and colleges have been dumbed down and pretty sure it's intentional.

I've thought this for more years than I can remember.  I don't give our education system credit for much today but at the dumbing down of students, their success rate is pretty darn high.

Respected Contributor

Feb. 2019

A survey of 41,000 Americans conducted by the Woodrow Wilson National Fellowship Foundation demonstrates why a greater emphasis on American History learning is essential to the nation.

The Foundation found that in the highest performing state,Vermont, only 53 percent of the people were able to earn a passing grade for U.S. history. Even more disturbing, only 27 percent of those under the age of 45 nationally were able to demonstrate a basic understanding of American history.

Nationally, only 4 in 10 Americans passed the exam.

see full article ~Woodrow dot org: 

Woodrow Wilson Foundation Finds Only One State Can Pass U.S. Citizenship Exam

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

Boomers (I'm prejudiced) are the last generation who takes a real interest in the entire countries problems.  Not just those who interest them.....

OK, go ahead let me hear from some of you.............

There was a recent study that showed seniors were most likely to spread fake news on social media. So there's that.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Respected Contributor

@JJsMom wrote:

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

Boomers (I'm prejudiced) are the last generation who takes a real interest in the entire countries problems.  Not just those who interest them.....

OK, go ahead let me hear from some of you.............

There was a recent study that showed seniors were most likely to spread fake news on social media. So there's that.

Except that its not fake news, is it?  The dumbing down of America is a success.

Honored Contributor

@september wrote:

@mom2four0418 / sadly, this seems to have evolved into another "bash the younger generation" post.  

the OP stated that this was an issue, not age related, that applies to all Americans.  I can believe that.  My earlier post, where I stated  that no one I spoke to yesterday, knew that debates were being  held last night....they all involved people who were 60+. 

@september,   I think this last part of the original post is age-related and probably, along with mention of schooling, is the reason some of the posts reacted to that:

"Boomers (I'm prejudiced) are the last generation who takes a real interest in the entire countries problems.  Not just those who interest them....."

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

I don't have a clue about government goings on & how things are done.

I probably daydreamed my way through school that day.

There are a zillion things we interact with every.single.day

which we don't have a clue how they work.

If something interests me, I'll educate myself on what I can.

At the end of the day, when it comes to government issues,

I know what button to push when the time comes.

Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom :  How do you know which button to push, if you don't understand what's going on (or even if "it" is legal)?