Honored Contributor

Re: 60% of Americans Can't Pass a Civics Test!

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

What are these kids going to do when they get older and the bills are more than their income? 

File bankruptcy whistling.gif

@Mz iMac LOL!!!  OK!  Correct!  Let me amend that:  What. will they do when the good works they advocate become more than they can pay for.  I guess we'll ALL file then!  The lines would long, but I guess we'll still have our $1,000 cell phones?  Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@luvmybeetle wrote:

I once had a work mate that thought Paris was a state.  She was not young.  She said this in front of a few people at work.  I thought I was going to slap her.  I was so angry.  When I told her it was a country in Europe, she said, "Well I didn't know"  very sarcastically.  I'm really scared for our country.

But wait... Paris is not a country in Europe... It's a city in Europe and also in Texas...

Smiley Wink

@stevieb   Hey wait a minute. AND ARKANSAS! 

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Foxxee wrote:

I think our schools and colleges have been dumbed down and pretty sure it's intentional.

May well be true to some extent, though I don't think better 'magnet' schools, better private schools and better colleges and universities are playing that game...

Sorry to say I think they are.  I have relatives who are professors and they are very disheartened by what they are seeing.  Across the board in the uneducated kids that come in and in the ones that go out. 

Respected Contributor

@luvmybeetle wrote:

I once had a work mate that thought Paris was a state.  She was not young.  She said this in front of a few people at work.  I thought I was going to slap her.  I was so angry.  When I told her it was a country in Europe, she said, "Well I didn't know"  very sarcastically.  I'm really scared for our country.

Oh boy.

I am scared too.

😏

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Have you ever watched jimmy Kimmel or YouTube where people are stopped on the street and asked easy questions...like what is the Capital of the US or how many stars are on the US flag?  

It is funny, but also very sad. And to think these people are allowed to vote..Yikes, that explains things.

I used to detest those Jimmy Kimmel segments.  Showing how Americans are uninformed or just plain stupid isn't funny, it's sad.  I don't know how Jimmy and his studio audience could sit there and yuk-yuk through it.  I stopped watching.

Honored Contributor

@bathina wrote:

@qbetzforreal wrote:

@Annabellethecat66- Would you cite where you obtained this "60%" statistic.  Your post doesn't mention where you got this information.

It's not true. If you google, you can find a website with a chart of all states REQUIRING civics classes for students. The majority of states require it. There are 8 or 9 states that require you pass a civics test to graduate.

My grandkids live in a state that requires civics and history, but their schools only touch on the subjects.   My oldest granddaughter is a senior this year and practically knows nothing.  I was reciting a poem about Paul Rever to her for fun and she had no idea who he was.  I asked her about other people from American history and she never heard it them either.

I can recite the Preamble by heart.  Both girls never heard it before.

My younger granddaughter who is a freshman takes excelerated classes. She is a grade A honor student.  I constantly ask her about her "dummed down" classes.  She is very prolific in math and science, but knows very little about history and civics.  

I was happy that she joined an after school club where they discuss American politics and I was equally happy to hear that the class does research.  The studengs are not Coached as towhat party or candidates are good or bad.  They research and make their own decisions and discuss it.

Our young people are not stupid, but they are uneducated in many things that are deemed unimportant today.  I honestly feel my education was so much better than theirs.

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@EastCoastGal wrote:

@jubilant  ... I don't know if you were talking to me or not when you said "No need for any bashing."... because l wrote just above you but, in my opinion, the OP started out by bashing ...using the word pathetic in her post twice! That's why l had to respond. 

I hope it wasn't meant for me because I've enjoyed reading your posts as well as the OP's..

....................  Oh, I'm sorry....NOooo .....it wasn't meant for you at all. I can see why you thought that.  My fault...  I just noticed earlier that the young seem offended by the older and visa versa in earlier posts and I feel we could all refresh our memories.  I am going to quit using that "bashing word" ....it get's me into trouble every time.  Again, I'm really sorry.  I need to pay better attention.

Respected Contributor

Not surprised at all. I'm a volunteer deputy registrar in Texas and help people register to vote. Back in 2013, I signed a young woman up to vote and she was excited to register, but sad she wouldn't be able to vote for nearly 4 years. I had to explain that elections and primary elections happen every year and are just as important (more important, really) than the presidential elections.

Texas has the lowest voter turnout in the nation and it makes me very sad.

Respected Contributor

Confession:  I am 59 years old, and have never taken a class called "civics".  I have a vague idea of what it is, and I assume I've learned it in other classes called other things, but I guess I am not sure.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York