Respected Contributor

Re: 60% of Americans Can't Pass a Civics Test!

@jannabelle1 wrote:

Many school districts across the country are no longer teaching civics or U.S. history. Very sad indeed because these kids do not appreciate or understand how wonderful this country is.

Which ones? Can you be specific? History and Civics is taught where I live. I know this because my grandson is in public school. I'm interested in your answer.

Honored Contributor

@luvmybeetle wrote:

I once had a work mate that thought Paris was a state.  She was not young.  She said this in front of a few people at work.  I thought I was going to slap her.  I was so angry.  When I told her it was a country in Europe, she said, "Well I didn't know"  very sarcastically.  I'm really scared for our country.

@luvmybeetle   I'm sure it was just a typo but Paris is a city in France which is a country in Europe.  Then of course there is also a city named Paris in Texas and I wouldn't be surprised if there were other towns or cities named Paris as well.

Honored Contributor

When I was in school I can remember having to memorize all 50 states and each state capital in the third grade.  We were tested on it.  I can also remember having to learn how to use apostrophes in the same grade.  Today there are so many adults who don't even know what a plural or singular possessive is....but I digress.

We spent some time on US government in high school but didn't have a separate class on civics....it was part of our government class which really was a part of US history.

QVC Customer Care

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Cindy-QVC  can you tell me why my post linking to stats for each state was removed? Am I able to let folks know the name of the site those stats came fron?

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66- Would you cite where you obtained this "60%" statistic.  Your post doesn't mention where you got this information.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qbetzforreal wrote:

@Annabellethecat66- Would you cite where you obtained this "60%" statistic.  Your post doesn't mention where you got this information.

It's not true. If you google, you can find a website with a chart of all states REQUIRING civics classes for students. The majority of states require it. There are 8 or 9 states that require you pass a civics test to graduate.

Esteemed Contributor

I took an online citizenship test and did fine. I don't know if my children and grandchildren would do as well, only because of the gaps in their education. Citizenship in a democracy is not a God-given right. It is a privilege that requires responsibility and commitment. Those who ignore the lessons of history are doomed to repeat it. Unless and until Americans take their citizenship seriously, and that includes school boards, educators, and whoever else is responsible for curriculums, we will get the government we deserve.

Respected Contributor

Some of the people representing us in Washington know very little about the Constitution.

Honored Contributor

I agree with you, it's much higher than 60%.  I'm in my late 50's and when I was in school we had Civics in the 5th  grade and again in the 9th grade and when I was in college, we had a mandatory Government class.  I'm saddened and appalled by how little people know about their own governmen.  Everything is about partisan politics now and people get their information from social media sites and talk radio and talking head show on cable channels.