Respected Contributor

Re: 60% of Americans Can't Pass a Civics Test!

It was a requirement to graduate from jr. high to high school (I was born & raised in SoCal) that everyone had to take & pass a civics/US government class throughout the whole 8th grade school year & hand in a binder with a long written essay in it at the end.  I graduated from high school in 1968, so this would've been in 1963.

Respected Contributor

I know one person who couldn't pass a civics test, for sure.  No way.

Esteemed Contributor

@september wrote:

@mom2four0418 / sadly, this seems to have evolved into another "bash the younger generation" post.  

the OP stated that this was an issue, not age related, that applies to all Americans.  I can believe that.  My earlier post, where I stated  that no one I spoke to yesterday, knew that debates were being  held last night....they all involved people who were 60+. 

It also turned into let's bash fellow posters. But what's new.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Trusted Contributor

@scruffsmom wrote:

This will probbly get booted, but sometimes it seems as isome of the people in the higher echelons of our goverbnment couldn't pass a civics test. 

"SOMETiMES"  ???? 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Edited to add: l DO vote and I cannot wait until the next big election!!!

I graduated in 1966. I only remember taking Social Studies classes. I never liked Social Studies nor do l now but l feel l can get by on what l do know...not what l remember from school because that was too many years ago!! Regarding the Jimmy Kimmel Show...questions asked to people on the street...l can't believe people did not know the number of stars on our Flag!!! I know that answer!! I know how many states there are...can name them and pretty much know where they are on the map. I know who our president and vice-president are...and who my governor and Lt. Governor are, etc. etc. I, too, am surprised when l hear some of the answers when questions are asked on the street on Jimmy Kimmel's show! Wow!! 

In high school l was mainly interested in business subjects and English classes and excelled in those subjects. As far as knowing how a bill is passed or other government questions...no, l don't know much at all about our government because as l said, l don't remember from over 50 years ago what we studied!! I do know about the Halocaust and how incredibly sad it was but l learned about that years later and because it was, and has been, in the news a lot over the years.

I think of myself as a smart person but just because l don't know all about how our government is run doesn't make me any less smart!

I think English is much more important than "Civics". The way that most people speak is atrocious!!! "Where you at?"...and many other sentences people are ending in "at"!! Where and when did that become the way to talk? I know English is taught in every school so what is going on?!?!

Spelling is another very important subject and is taught in every school. Why is it that a lot of people don't know that "it's" = "it is" for example? I see it all the time everywhere!! There are many other examples!

When l worked for 36 years as a Senior Stenographer in a school district, finished work for the day, ran errands, fixed myself something to eat and washed the dishes...the last thing l was interested in watching was the World News because l was so exhausted!! I DID want to watch my TV programs! To tell the truth, I could have cared less what was going on in the world... l know... that's pathetic isn't it?? l don't think of myself as pathetic and there are a lot of people who are just not interested either!! I have learned a lot more these past few years because it's been a very "lively" few years...but don't put people down because we don't want to or who don't have time or would rather do something other than watch the evening news... To tell the truth, l have watched the evening news after my local news for a few years but had to stop because l found it very depressing!!

This is my opinion on the subject......

I haven't posted in a while but l felt l needed to after reading this topic.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was able to correct my typos.... 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No need for any bashing.  I have talked to young people that didn't know much about our Constitution or the Declaration of Independence for example.  I have talked to older people who have forgotten much of it.  I think it would do us all a lot of good if we would go back and re-read our Constitution, Declaration Of Independence, and a few others (which I can't think of right now!)  Let's know what made us such a great country in the first place.  

Honored Contributor

I'm surprised it's not higher than 60%.  It's obvious from what many people, all the way to the top, are saying that they don't have a clue.  It's not rocket science but it does require using the gray matter between the ears.

Honored Contributor

I had the best social studies and government teacher in the world.  He was in a wheel chair as he had polio as a child. It was one of those classes where the kids didn't start picking up their books before the bell sounded at the end of the class.  You just weren't ready for it to end.  On the other hand,  our history teacher was so boring I could hardly stand that class.  She spoke in a monotone voice and nothing excited her.  Therefore, I hated history.  Teachers can make such a big difference. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jubilant  ... I don't know if you were talking to me or not when you said "No need for any bashing."... because l wrote just above you but, in my opinion, the OP started out by bashing ...using the word pathetic in her post twice! That's why l had to respond.