Honored Contributor

Re: 60% of Americans Can't Pass a Civics Test!

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

60% is a low ball figure...especially among younger people.  It is no longer taught in school and there is no interest.

Have you ever watched jimmy Kimmel or YouTube where people are stopped on the street and asked easy questions...like what is the Capital of the US or how many stars are on the US flag?  

It is funny, but also very sad. And to think these people are allowed to vote..Yikes, that explains things.

Civics is still being taught in schools. So you want to decide who gets to vote?

@mom2four0418 

No, not at all.

But I would like to think that those who vote have a basic understanding of how our government works.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Among the things that worry me is the seemingly ignorance of any concept of the economy or the facts about income and outflow.  

What are these kids going to do when they get older and the bills are more than their income?  And yes, it could happen.  They think oh goody things just get paid for.  Somehow.  What we want will just magically happen because we say so. . . 

Respected Contributor

@luvmybeetle wrote:

I once had a work mate that thought Paris was a state.  She was not young.  She said this in front of a few people at work.  I thought I was going to slap her.  I was so angry.  When I told her it was a country in Europe, she said, "Well I didn't know"  very sarcastically.  I'm really scared for our country.

Paris is not "a country in Europe." 

Trusted Contributor

@Still Stylish Lady wrote:

I agree. As a former Canadian citizen, I had to do a quick tutorial on it for my US citizenship test. I passed with flying colors. DH said all too many young people would not have passed it. I will see that my grandchildren get some in the form of books and such I can give them. 

Im glad you passed your us test, but i laugh when people say that, but you studied for that, could you pass a canadian citizens test? 

Respected Contributor

• @Drythe wrote:

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

60% is a low ball figure...especially among younger people.  It is no longer taught in school and there is no interest.

Have you ever watched jimmy Kimmel or YouTube where people are stopped on the street and asked easy questions...like what is the Capital of the US or how many stars are on the US flag?  

It is funny, but also very sad. And to think these people are allowed to vote..Yikes, that explains things.

Civics is still being taught in schools. So you want to decide who gets to vote?

@mom2four0418 

No, not at all.

But I would like to think that those who vote have a basic understanding of how our government works.

I agree.  There is a movement of wonderful young people in the U.S. who are making important issues front and center. They cross the country motivating others to vote, and it is clear that they know how government works because they learned it in school. What is alarming to me are the numbers of adults of all ages, who have no interest in our government and would rather watch reality tv shows, than exercise their right to vote.  I'm pretty sure that they were all taught U.S History in school.
“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

What are these kids going to do when they get older and the bills are more than their income? 

File bankruptcy whistling.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@mom2four0418 / sadly, this seems to have evolved into another "bash the younger generation" post.  

the OP stated that this was an issue, not age related, that applies to all Americans.  I can believe that.  My earlier post, where I stated  that no one I spoke to yesterday, knew that debates were being  held last night....they all involved people who were 60+. 

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

What are these kids going to do when they get older and the bills are more than their income? 

File bankruptcy whistling.gif

And many "older generation folks" have done this.  

Honored Contributor

@luvmybeetle wrote:

I once had a work mate that thought Paris was a state.  She was not young.  She said this in front of a few people at work.  I thought I was going to slap her.  I was so angry.  When I told her it was a country in Europe, she said, "Well I didn't know"  very sarcastically.  I'm really scared for our country.

But wait... Paris is not a country in Europe... It's a city in Europe and also in Texas...

Smiley Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

I think our schools and colleges have been dumbed down and pretty sure it's intentional.

May well be true to some extent, though I don't think better 'magnet' schools, better private schools and better colleges and universities are playing that game...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...