Honored Contributor

60% of Americans Can't Pass a Civics Test!

Personally, I think there's more!  It's pathetic when you think about the fact that many Americans have no idea how their government works and even more pathetic they don't care that they don't know.

Some school don't even offer civics.  I remember I skipped my Junior year of high school.

In order to do that I had to take one Government class for 5 hours a day during the summer.

It was amazing!  All of the kids in it were smart and they were there because they wanted to be.  These were not kids who'd flunked the class, they wanted to get it 'over with'.

I learned more about the US government than any other time.  It was a small class and we had time to cover everything.

I am convinced most people living in this country just get up, go to work, come home, eat dinner, watch a little TV or read and repeat........

If they watch any news it's just local news for maybe 1/2 hour.

Boomers (I'm prejudiced) are the last generation who takes a real interest in the entire countries problems.  Not just those who interest them.....

OK, go ahead let me hear from some of you.............

Esteemed Contributor

Re: 60% of Americans Can't Pass a Civics Test!

@Annabellethecat66 

Well, I know that there are people who actually believe the myth that Columbus actually set foot on U.S. soil.Woman LOL Woman LOL Woman LOL

Spoiler alert: He did not.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

I agree, I talk to people who can't tell you how a bill is passed and then they believe the misinformation they hear on TV.

Esteemed Contributor

I was born 12/43 and I agree that education in many areas is way less than it was (civics, grammar, cursive among many other topics).  Doesn't help that the overreaching topic engulfing our government is difficult to understand (even by those of us well grounded in civics who went through this two other times in our lifetimes.

Frequent Contributor

I had jury duty a few years ago. The judge was explaining that sometimes you have to make an assumptions based on evidence. She asked if there was anyone who didn’t understand that. A man raised his hand. The judge then said to look at the American flag in the courtroom. Even though you can’t see all of the stars, you could assume there were .... stars. She pointed at the man- who said 23. She then asked the woman next to him how many stars should be on the flag? Her answer - 18. The judge excused all of us. 

Honored Contributor

I am saddened by this,

but because of remarks I hear, and read, not suprised!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

60% is a low ball figure...especially among younger people.  It is no longer taught in school and there is no interest.

Have you ever watched jimmy Kimmel or YouTube where people are stopped on the street and asked easy questions...like what is the Capital of the US or how many stars are on the US flag?  

It is funny, but also very sad. And to think these people are allowed to vote..Yikes, that explains things.

Respected Contributor

I'm not surprised that many Americans can't pass a civics test.  Doubt it's taught in most public schools, but you can bet they teach sex ed.  

Civics was taught in 9th grade when I was in school, and, sadly over the years I probably have forgotten most of what I once knew.  🙀

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

60% is a low ball figure...especially among younger people.  It is no longer taught in school and there is no interest.

Have you ever watched jimmy Kimmel or YouTube where people are stopped on the street and asked easy questions...like what is the Capital of the US or how many stars are on the US flag?  

It is funny, but also very sad. And to think these people are allowed to vote..Yikes, that explains things.

Civics is still being taught in schools. So you want to decide who gets to vote?

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

This drives me crazy. I know so many people, ( of all ages) who proudly proclaim " I don't pay attention to politics." Learning how government works and keeping track of our elected officials isn't fun or sexy. I think we as a society are obsessed wit sports and entertainment etc. Sorry but this is my pet peeve, how can we remain a free society, when citizens are ignorant concerning the process. Rant over. 😤

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan