Esteemed Contributor

55th birthday Zip Code System

As a child, I remember parents, grandparents and adult neighbors grumbling about including new five-digit zip codes in addresses.

My current car has a push-button starter instead of key. For a week I kept thinking of all the reasons I should have purchased a car using a key! Husband finally said -- I bet you balked at including your zip codes in the 60s. 

I smile about things like this when confronted with new, random life 'tasks.' Helps me take on a 'just do it' attitude and move on!

Similar experiences? 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

Re: 55th birthday Zip Code System

[ Edited ]

I remember when my post office zone was 22.  I have a box with the small ceramic Christmas tree my mother gave me similar to what is being sold in CIJ and the original box it is in the manufacxturers address is a zone address - predates zip codes. So that is an old Christmas tree and the box is still in good shape.  Since I store my Christmas decor in the basement, I do not put this tree and box there but store it on a closet shelf to keep the box in good shape.  Brings back the old memories.

At the same time our telephone numbers had two letters at the beginning instead of numbers.  My phone number started with ORchard and my friends whose childhood number I still remember as I called it so many times thru the years as a child and teenager was NOrth.  About the same time as the zip code change the names were dropped from phone numbers and converted to the corresponding number for OR and NO.

Trusted Contributor

I remember dialing only 4 numbers to call someone on a rotary phone.  These days I don't even have a home phone.

I also remember people being up in arms when we had an area code change but now they are more common place.

Honored Contributor

I’m relying on my memory and I think I remember my zip in Houston was 17 or 33. Also at our farm NE of Houston was a four digit party line. Those little old ladies were discussing their aches and pains and I wanted to call my friends. Anyway now I’m one of those little old ladies discussing my aches and pains. lol 😂 

Respected Contributor

In NYC we have the 5 digit zip plus an additional 4.

All calls need 3 digit area code- that’s 10 digits.

The security code on credit cards, all logins and pws.

I remember phone exchanges when they had names, the postal code was 2 numbers, etc, etc.

Its enough to make my head spin! We adapt and go on.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, we had a SOUTH phone number until it changed to all numbers. Mom worked during days and used to get upset when she tried to use the phone in the evening and the party line was engaged.

No air conditioning so neighbors chatted outside daily while kids played. Vented a lot. Didn't like change in general. Rarely did people move and everyone knew everyone's business; but it was community.

While vacationing with extended family in Highlands, NC, my 7 year old grandson pointed to older resort land phone and said -- "Is that from the 80s?" My son said -- "Hey..." because he was born in the 80s. Son told me, well, that made me feel old!    

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

@jeanlake wrote:

As a child, I remember parents, grandparents and adult neighbors grumbling about including new five-digit zip codes in addresses.

My current car has a push-button starter instead of key. For a week I kept thinking of all the reasons I should have purchased a car using a key! Husband finally said -- I bet you balked at including your zip codes in the 60s. 

I smile about things like this when confronted with new, random life 'tasks.' Helps me take on a 'just do it' attitude and move on!

Similar experiences? 

@jeanlake  Oh yes. When I purchased my first IPhone and my kids taught me how to text, use the camera & other apps. Seemed like using a computer all over again.

Honored Contributor

I was born & lived my first years in such a small town in upstate NY that we didn’t have dial phones...a switch board operator. She knew everyone in town, so I could pick up the phone and say, “This is Shanus. Can I speak to Aunt Bertye”?

Honored Contributor

Seatbelts.

TX began enforcing it back in ‘85 (had to look it up!) but I remember forgetting many times. Today I feel naked if I don’t have my seatbelt on!

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus Texting is my kids (30s) preferred mode of communications. Sometimes I tell them to call so I can hear their voices, but either way, always great to hear from them. AND with texting - they often attach photos.

I held onto my old android phone for a while because nothing was wrong with it. Caved and updated. New phone truly has better features. Makes you wonder what new technology is coming down the pike. Reminder to self -- remain flexible! Grandchildren are watching....