Frequent Contributor

50thWedding Anniversary Gift?

Our ex-nextdoor neighbors are going to celebrate this milestone in Nov. Having a big to do at a venue there.  She wants my husband and I to attend; but, we now live in FL and they are up in MD. We had been neighbors for 34 years. I don't think we are going to go for financial reasons. We have our son's wedding coming up next month.  50th is the golden anniversary. I was thinking of getting them a piece of Waterford crystal on another shopping channel. I love Waterford. Looking for any suggestions that can be given or if you gave for this anniversary keeping in mind a reasonable price (maybe $100 or less).  Appreciate your responses. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: 50thWedding Anniversary Gift?

Is it necessary to send a gift?  After fifty years, there can't be much else they want or need.  I'd send a card with a nice note and leave it at that.  (And I think she should understand your decision not to attend, given that it entails major travel.)

Esteemed Contributor

A gift card for a nice resturaunt....

Honored Contributor

A piece of Waterford is a lovely idea, but did you consider that they maybe at a point where they don't want anymore "things".

You could send one of the choc/fruit baskets for them to enjoy at the time of the party.  Letting know you are thinking of them. 

Respected Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

A gift card for a nice resturaunt....

I second that, I'm sure they have all they need so going out for lunch/dinner is a welcome gift

Trusted Contributor

I LOVE Waterford and would love to receive it, however, as others have mentioned your friends may not be wanting more "things".  Just curious did it mention on the invitation "No Gifts"?

Actually, I just sent a $50 gift card yesterday to a couple that will be celebrating their 50th anniversary tomorrow ~ I thought $50 for 50 years~

It was to a local, touristy store/restaurant that I know they enjoy.

Honored Contributor

Send them a lovely hand-written letter in a sweet card and if possible, enclose some pictures of all of you during the years.  I think they would LOVE that!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would pass on the Waterford and either just send a nice card and note or a gift card for a restaurant.  Those of us married 50 years have a lot of things (too many), but we love going out to eat.

Super Contributor

My husband and I just celebrated our 50th. We're planning a party in Dec to celebrate with friends and family. Nobody wants to come to So Fl in the summer. Our invitations will specify NO GIFTS. We have everything we need and want nothing. Maybe I'll even add if anyone comes with a gift, they will have to go to our garage and remove 2 items! 

If you feel you want to send them something, how about a gift card to a restaurant in their area. But, in all honesty, unless these people are in dire straits, they need/want nothing (especially china and crystal). I just gifted and donated lots of knick knacks to chartiy. And, I'm sure, my kids will want me to get rid of even more stuff!

Honored Contributor

Depends on their age and just how computer literate they are. I think gift cards are best. Amazon is my fav. If they are up in age probably something thay can see and hold.As my Mom aged I got her things she needed like new sheets(flannel). My MIL we usually give her stamps and greeting card assortments.

A gift card from Visa,Master, Discover,etc can be used most anywhere I think even at restaurants. 

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man