Esteemed Contributor

Re: 50th Wedding Anniversary Suggestions

My aunts and uncles 50th party is today. My mom went out to things remembered got them a picture frame with a gold 50 on it. Then had their names engraved on it.
Super Contributor

Under those circumstances, I think cash is a great idea.  Whatever you feel comfortable with and a nice card.  

Honored Contributor

Ask the host of the party for ideas 

an engraved picture frame while lovely might be a misstep if finances are an issue 

Respected Contributor

Yikes.  $200 for a cousin's wedding anniversary?  Yikes, I say again.  I might go with a $50 gift card to a restaurant.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

If they need money give them money. When I was cleaning out my parents condo after my dad died (mom died years ago) I found all the 50th anniversary gifts they got at their party. All still neatly in their forever spot tucked away never to be seen. So, if your couple needs money, give them money. 

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

Please don't buy them anything that they can stand on a dresser or hang on the wall.

I went to an estate sale by my mom's house years ago, the couples' 50th anniversary picture was laying on the livingroom floor along with several other gifts they received and of course were part of the estate sale.

It was so sad so see their stuff laying on the floor just waiting for someone to buy their framed pic for 10 cents on the dollar and toss the photo for the frame.

A gift card to a restaurant is an idea.  Also, how about a donation to the Knights of Columbus in their honor. 

Respected Contributor

I dont know, maybe it is just me.  But it is weird to me to give money to more than adult people for being married.  Cash to me is for young people celebrating adulthood in the temple etc, and weddings of young people starting out.   The big anniversary parties i have been to say no gifts on the invitation.  

Esteemed Contributor

We were recently invited to a 50th anniversay party and we thought a gift certificate to one of their favorite restaurants was the best present to give at the time...

Honored Contributor

At least $75 but $100 would be nice if they really need the money wrap it in gold paper with a gold ribbon.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Valued Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

At least $75 but $100 would be nice if they really need the money wrap it in gold paper with a gold ribbon.  Cat Very Happy

I think it is wonderful that you want to give them money since they do need it. Some people think that once you are married that long you have everything you need. But older married people don't always have money they need to survive. Health insurance is expensive, as is meds. I can't imagine how some older people make it. I know some have good retirements, a lot don't. I like the idea above. Gold paper, gold ribbon. I know they will apprecate whatever you can afford. Bless you for being so kind to them.