Respected Contributor

@jackkeepoo wrote:

When we married years ago, my future husband insisted on us doing a pre-nup agreement, stating it was because of a previous bad marriage & business reasons.  I agreed but now at this point in our marriage, we are working on 'end of life' papers/ wills, etc. and I saw listed on the papers 'pre-nuptial and post nuptial' agreement information...I asked my husband to get rid of the pre-nuptial and he conveniently leaves the room to do something else. It crushes me to think that he feels it necessary to keep this paper in place, after all this time. I have NEVER done a thing to make him feel he couldn't trust me - or that I didn't have his best interest at heart.  What are your thoughts, as I sit here and sniff?

Men have quirks and sometimes they never get over them.  I'd see what was actually in all the papers before I gave it a second thought.   Maybe it bothers him that all of a sudden you want to 'change things' and is reacting to that?   

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

Re: 25 year old Pre-Nuptial agreement....

@jackkeepoo wrote:

When we married years ago, my future husband insisted on us doing a pre-nup agreement, stating it was because of a previous bad marriage & business reasons.  I agreed but now at this point in our marriage, we are working on 'end of life' papers/ wills, etc. and I saw listed on the papers 'pre-nuptial and post nuptial' agreement information...I asked my husband to get rid of the pre-nuptial and he conveniently leaves the room to do something else. It crushes me to think that he feels it necessary to keep this paper in place, after all this time. I have NEVER done a thing to make him feel he couldn't trust me - or that I didn't have his best interest at heart.  What are your thoughts, as I sit here and sniff?

@sarahpanda

I've had you on my mind ... what have you decided to do about this?  You got some very good advice here.

Honored Contributor

Re: 25 year old Pre-Nuptial agreement....

I believe Shawnie stated what I'm thinking......He wished to protect all assets he had before he married O/P.  I'm only guessing that those assets were clearly stated in the Pre-nup. (?)  Anything that the married couple incurred after the marriage certificate would, I'm guessing, be co-mingled.  Unless he formed some sort of business corporation(s), etc.  Of course, I'm just guessing, and laws change daily, it seems.   It also depends in which state O/P resides.  Just a guess/opinion.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).