Honored Contributor

Re: $25.00 to make homemade V8! I am in shock

@bluehost  Nonnegotiable in my house....the dirty dozen are always organic.  Lucky, I can get organic, apples, spinach, and carrots at Sam's/Costco and can usually get organic celery at Costco.  I buy my organics at the big box stores as I can get these staples in quantity much cheaper.  The rest comes from Trader Joe's and usually Sprouts (less frequently at Whole Foods).  We strive to be 100% organic, but the dirty dozen is never negotiated.

Esteemed Contributor

Cost $$$ I found disenchanting about Jan's drinks.  I don't keep coconut milk nor kale or juinper berries in inventory.  Then should you hate the combinations you're left with a lot of kale!   Me stick to bananas and strawberries in a dish with yogart

Esteemed Contributor

Why would celery be considered dirty - ?   Easier to wash celery than lettuce leaves.

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Why would celery be considered dirty - ?   Easier to wash celery than lettuce leaves.

@fthunt

Some of your Dirty fruits/veggies include strawberries, peaches, grapes, apples, potatoes, celery, sweet bell peppers etc have a high load of pesticides in them is why they recommend buying organic. You cannot wash off pesticides inside the fruit/veggies.

Some of your Clean fruits/veggies are avocados, mangoes, pineapples, cantaloupes, sweet corn, asparagus, onions, cabbage etc which have low to no pesticides so it's not necessary to pay extra money for those.

Honored Contributor

I think if price is a concern, something like that is best for Summer when veggie prices are lower.

Honored Contributor

I have a Vitamix, but don't enjoy drinking my food.  I prefer the crunch and chewing.

I would just make a salad with the veggies.  I have a bowl of salad veggies in my fridge at all times at the ready.

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@sidsmom  V8 without salt is unpalatable.  Until I had that class with Chef AJ, I didn't have an answer.  She suggested Benson's Table Tasty and it is what she uses.  I order it on Amazon in the larger 1 pound bag (40.00), we call it powered gold.  It really helps keep me in line....check it out, it you don't already know about it.

A squeeze of fresh lemon juice often works as a substitute for salt.

Valued Contributor

This reminds me of a friend who decided to make homemade tomato soup in winter from fresh tomatoes.  The cost of the groceries was too high and she decided to wait until summer. 

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@Mindy D  I almost forgot....I always include a small red beet in my V8.

I forgot to ask my husband to get a beet.

Honored Contributor

Am wondering if using canned toms instead of the tasteless nasty fresh toms- this time of year--could use unsalted ones--- would work and I would never blend up a whole huge pitcher of juice at one time---it would lose alot of the good vitamines and such from oxidation. Also celery is so strong if you use too much--am not a fan at all. Onion is way too strong, raw too, would use onion powder and would flavor it with Siracha or worchester sauce even coconut aminos and some horse radish maybe.