Honored Contributor

$25.00 to make homemade V8! I am in shock

I’ve had my Vitamix for 2.5 months and I’ve been dying to use it. I have been feeling sick so my husband was sweet and picked up my list at the grocery store. I asked for tomatoes, $8.38, celery, $3.29, onion, $1.25, red bell pepper, $1.47, carrots, $.99, baby spinach, $2.99, garlic, $.99, lemons, $2.69 and Lee and Perrins Worcestershire Sauce, $2.55. He did spend extra for some items because he wasn’t feeling well and didn’t price shop. For example, he bought organic celery..which I’m sure is more expensive than regular. There is enough for multiple servings but I’m still shocked at the cost. I’ll try Aldi’s next time. 

Honored Contributor

Re: $25.00 to make homemade V8! I am in shock

@Mindy D    Better wait until summer to get inspired to use fresh veggies.  Try some hot broccoli cheese soup instead.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I love homemade V8 and I don't think I spend that much, but since I always have the veggies used on hand, I've never thought about it.  My lemons are free off of my tree.  I don't include the Worcestershire sauce (although I could as I have a vegan one by Annie's in the cupboard).  I use a high content of carrots in my juice and usually a package of cherry tomatoes, a 5 pound bag of carrots is very inexpensive and organic at Sam's/Costco.  If you are a member, that might be a good savings for your juice.  I don't use a whole stalk of celery or a whole package of spinach.  I also include Italian parsley.  You must have made a lot of juice.  The recipe sounds yummy and I'm sure you enjoyed your juice!

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D

Sounds like you blended instead of juiced, yes?

If so, I’m guessing you had several containers full of liquid, yes?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom  I was thinking about that....blending vs, juicing.  If I made this in the blender, I would be straining out most of the fiber afterwards or, to me, I would be drinking gritty juice.  Do you think you would get more volume out of the juicer.  Also, I use more carrots than I do tomatoes in my V8.  She probably had to use more tomatoes to get the high liquid content. I've never thought to make v8 in a blender.   Juicer vs blender....with the same produce, which would produce the higher yield.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D  I almost forgot....I always include a small red beet in my V8.

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@sidsmom  I was thinking about that....blending vs, juicing.  If I made this in the blender, I would be straining out most of the fiber afterwards or, to me, I would be drinking gritty juice.  Do you think you would get more volume out of the juicer.  Also, I use more carrots than I do tomatoes in my V8.  She probably had to use more tomatoes to get the high liquid content. I've never thought to make v8 in a blender.   Juicer vs blender....with the same produce, which would produce the higher yield.

@phoenixbrd

When I was in the middle of my raw 80/10/10 phase,

I would drink ‘blended salads’ and savory soups/drinks....

everything, including the fiber.  Even with my blended 

tomato based ‘soups’, it was a tough sell without the sodium

which makes V8, well, V8.  The finished result for each would

be different...juicing would be more concentrated & blending

would be more volume, but watery.  Honestly, I didn’t even 

think about juicing tomatoes...hummm. Got me thinking....

Regular Contributor

FYI.........celery is one of the 12 "dirty dozen vegetables to buy organic. Along with tomatoes, spinich. Google for details. 

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom  V8 without salt is unpalatable.  Until I had that class with Chef AJ, I didn't have an answer.  She suggested Benson's Table Tasty and it is what she uses.  I order it on Amazon in the larger 1 pound bag (40.00), we call it powered gold.  It really helps keep me in line....check it out, it you don't already know about it.

Honored Contributor

We always buy organic apples and celery because they absolutely taste better.  I didn't really like raw celery until we discovered organic several years ago.

Organic dairy and veggies are worth it to me.  The trick is to buy on sale and use up what you buy.