Respected Contributor

Re: 2 credit cards hacked this week...

@silkyk 

Don't be surprised !  

When my sister had her card hacked at a gas station, the credit card company immediately sent her a new card.  It was hacked even before she got to use it: it was definitely an inside job at the credit card company.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Trusted Contributor

Credit card skimmers at self-checkouts and gas pumps seem to be the places here that are constantly being a problem here. The self-checkouts at a WM and gas station close to me have been dealing with this for months. You can feel for the skimmer before you use your hard. We think it's an inside job at the gas station because someone four the skimmer on six pumps at the same time, it's been reported to management over and over and they haven't taken them off. 

Esteemed Contributor

This thread is bringing up so many bad memories of different problems that I have had with my cards over the years. 

About 6 years ago I use to work for a company that required me to periodically travel to Mexico. When I was required to be in Mexico I would travel down to the border the night before and stay at a Hotel on the U.S. side. My company had a contract with the Hilton chain for their employees to use when going to our plant that was in Mexico.

Even though the company paid for the hotel when you checked in you still needed to leave a credit card on file until you checked out. I remember I took a card that I rarely used, that had a zero balance. 

The following month I received a bill that was filled with fraudulent charges. I was on fire hot.

I called up and asked to speak with the manager and I let her have it with both barrels.  I was on a mini rant, what kind of employees do you have working for you. I will never stay at this chain again type of rant.

Six or Seven Months later a huge hotel fraud story broke in the news. It was so  big that you needed to go to the website to see if hotels that you  stayed in were affected. They listed addresses of the different hotels that were caught up in this major hack. Well you guessed it. Where I was staying was one that was affected. It was not the Hotels fault.

All I could think about was how horrible I was to that manager on the phone, and wonder if any employee lost their job because of it. 

Trusted Contributor

It seems like many of these incidents are done my employees. The WM near me has a self-checkout and all four of the registers have skimmers on them. Dozens of people in my neighborhood were hacked there....so I don't even use it now and go to WM as little as possible. The manager had been told several times to no avail. I think the hackers seem to stay one step ahead, especially if they work there and can easily add the skimmers with no one noticing. 

Respected Contributor

Now I go to the bank and get cash there and use it instead of my cards even though the last hack had to be a bank employee because that was the only place I used it.....once in 5 years! Hacked the next week. hmmmmmmmm

Esteemed Contributor

This happened to me once. I'm in a city in Georgia. Chase call and told me what was happening. One person purchased goods four hours away, another one hour away and one in Florida. I had used my Card during the time this was happening and I was able to tell her where I used it. My  account was credited right away and I was sent a new Card. What I couldn't understand was that she said the purchase in Fl was swiped but I had my card. She told me that scammers knew all the tricks.

When I lived in Fl, American Express had a lot of problems. Employees there will open Amex account for their friends in Customers names. They were told by the employees exactly what time Fed Ex would be delivering the package with the Card. Always by 11am. The Amex employees knew  the owners of the resident would be at work.

The thief would wait by the gate and accept the package and go on a spending spree. 

Honored Contributor

We should all go back to writing checks.......

Esteemed Contributor

I would report it to the police if I knew a skimmer was being used.  I'd also write a letter to corporate letting them know.