Respected Contributor

Re: 2 credit cards hacked this week...

I had my credit card stolen 3 time this this year alone. I don't know how to stop all this theft but someone better do something.

Trusted Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@dogsx3 @

Did you pay at the doctor or any medical facility using a credit card? Employees are stealing credit card information, and some of the most frequently used places for theft are medical facilitates.

Did you take money out using it? Some ATMs are not real. They are false fronts attached to reall ATM by thieves, usually at gas stations. 

Yes i did pay at drs and dentist with my debit card, I forgot !

Trusted Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@dogsx3 @Have you ever ordered from Door Dash? I'm curious.

No never ordered doordash, want my food warm !

Trusted Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@dogsx3 @Target has been hacked before. Maybe your card information is for sale to thieves online. 

Great... 2 cards in a week, looks like it...

Honored Contributor

A few years ago the company had hired a Temp to help in the Accounting Department. Everyone was impressed she was a hard worker. UNTIL the Secret Service showed up.

My boss thought it was his friends paying a joke on him. Then when he walked into the room he knew these guys meant business. Apparently Miss Temp was collecting all credit card information from people's payments to the company. She would sell the credit card information and get $5 for each one.

Oh well, they did not hire Miss Ambitious.

Honored Contributor

@dogsx3 wrote:

I did use my debit card at gas stations, and other places, but my other card was only used at Target and QVC. I am not going to use self checkout at target anymore, maybe it is being hacked like the gas stations ? 

@dogsx3 

Some use an electronic device called a "skimmer."  It copies your cards.  Look them up to see how they work.  Sometimes they are placed on gas pumps.  

RFID readers can read your credit card when someone walks by you.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't know how doordash works, but one was from a resturant in Ga called zaxbys, 40plus dollars and another for a resturant called logans roadhouse 50 plus dollars....I am in ca, and do not use doordash, I am so mad ! Then on the other card 190 plus at a target. 

Plus the fact they apear to be steak and chicken resturants, i am a Vegetarian ...

Honored Contributor

@silkyk wrote:

I had my bank card hacked and I had not used in it years except for a month ago at THE BANK. A week later I was notified someone tried to use my card in New York (not even close to me) but the expiration date hung them up. Very suspicious about it getting hacked right after I first used it at the bank. An inside job? Who else would possibly have this card # account # etc.? I ONLY used it once at the bank and a week later hacked. Weird.

@silkyk 

They're putting random numbers in until they hit!

Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom 

Yes, you are correct. Most physician and dentist offices have on their forms your SSN . I refuse to fill it out, even the last four of your SSN is very dangerous to share with any business.  Many MD offices  have been lax in the past when they used paper charts  and file cabinets with patients info  could be left unlocked or laying on Md desks.  Yrs ago  My husband had housekeeping at his office  steal his credit card info . He used to forget and leave his wallet in his office desk when he met with colleagues in other offices.

Honored Contributor

It's happened to us many times...gas stations, Best Buy, restaurants and DH had to go through the scenario with clients who had false reports from the IRS.

The card co. said that restaurants are ones to watch. If the restaurant has a set up where the waitperson brings your bill and you place you card on top and THEY take it to the register....NO! Visa said at that short time, they (and other workers standing nearby can make copies of your card. Charges have been made on our card, during the night, when they're off duty. 

It always baffled me because we are so careful. We canceled several cards and now only have one personal charge card with the other just being a card holder to the same Visa account. DH has a business chg. card...which was hacked on Monday!!! So, that card was cut up, my card to that acct., too (I have it to pick up Staples orders, Sam's for TP for his office, etc.) and had to cut up mine as well. Still waiting for replacements. 

If huge companies, government info on computers can be hacked, our credit cards are a piece of cake.