Honored Contributor

Re: 2 credit cards hacked this week...

@IMW wrote:

We had our id stolen at gas station. 

I have NEVER used a credit or debit card to buy gas. ALWAYS PAY CASH FOR GAS. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had my identity stolen with IRS.

Several years ago, DH & I filed our taxes jointly, as we always do, and were notified by IRS that I had already filed my taxes as 'married filing single' and it was being processed.

We notified them immediately that that was a false claim and they put a hold on it.

After going through more hoops than you can imagine, our filing was finally approved and they gave me a private PIN that I have to use each year when I file.

It turned out later, that one of my Dr.'s offices was part of a 'ring' of employees working at different medical facilities, stealing patients id.

Medical facilities are one of the places that require your SSN #.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

I did use my debit card at gas stations, and other places, but my other card was only used at Target and QVC. I am not going to use self checkout at target anymore, maybe it is being hacked like the gas stations ? 

Respected Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

Some banks offer what is called Digital Wallet.  A new card number is issued for all transactions that links back to the number on your card.  

Anytime someone else tries to use this one time number, it will be rejected by the bank.  

It only works for those using mobile phones ordering online.  

@Foxxee I left my purse at a restaurant that we frequented a while back. About half way home I realized it and we went back. They checked all over and said that no one had turned it in. The next morning they called and said they had found my purse under a table far from where I left it hanging on my chair. I looked and all of my belongings were in it including credit card and small amount of cash. About four months later I got my bill with charges that I hadn't made. One to Macy's for a gift certificate, DMV to register a vehicle and one to get a new phone at Verizon. Bank refunded my account and sent me a new card. I asked the bank why they couldn't arrest the thief as there had to be a name on the Verizon and DMV registration. They told me it would cost them more to pursue that then to just write it off. Of course, the thieves know they won't pursue them so they keep on doing it. The person had written my CC card number and used it online.
Honored Contributor

@dogsx3 @You can put holds on your credit accounts while you straighten this out.

Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

I had my identity stolen with IRS.

Several years ago, DH & I filed our taxes jointly, as we always do, and were notified by IRS that I had already filed my taxes as 'married filing singly' and it was being processed.

We notified them immediately that that was a false claim and they put a hold on it.

After going through more hoops than you can imagine, our filing was finally approved and they gave me a private PIN that I have to use each year when I file.

It turned out later, that one of my Dr.'s offices was part of a 'ring' of employees working at different medical facilities, stealing patients id.

Medical facilities are one of the places that require your SSN #.

I never give my SS info to medical facilities.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dogsx3 @

Did you pay at the doctor or any medical facility using a credit card? Employees are stealing credit card information, and some of the most frequently used places for theft are medical facilities.

Did you take money out using it? Some ATMs are not real. They are false fronts attached to reall ATM by thieves, usually at gas stations. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dogsx3 @Could a thief plant a camera somewhere above self check out in order to get whatever is needed to do this?

Honored Contributor

@dogsx3 @Have you ever ordered from Door Dash? I'm curious.

Honored Contributor

@dogsx3 @Target has been hacked before. Maybe your card information is for sale to thieves online.