Trusted Contributor

2 credit cards hacked this week...

And i have both cards ! How are they doing it? It was used 2 times at doordash, and a small charge in new york..Then my other card was used at a target, and a small charge before trying a 190.00 amount. I don't know how, I only use both cards at QVC or target. My bank card i use for gas and fast food in-n-out. be  Check your cards, i do daily , every morning....

Honored Contributor

Re: 2 credit cards hacked this week...

And they keep pushing us to use credit cards instead of cash. Then, please make them safe!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dogsx3 I had a card compromised recently also.  It was used on Amazon for a $200+ purchase.  I had the card canceled and replaced and Discover credited me for the charge.   

After the charge posted, I contacted Amazon and gave them the transaction details.  They were able to look it up and see the identity of the person that used it, but the rep said they don't really take any action other than sending an email to the person asking them to verify their card info.

I also think this type of fraud occurs more frequently this time of year, when we're using our cards more.  The last time it happened to me was also in the Fall season.

Honored Contributor

Some banks offer what is called Digital Wallet.  A new card number is issued for all transactions that links back to the number on your card.  

Anytime someone else tries to use this one time number, it will be rejected by the bank.  

It only works for those using mobile phones ordering online.  

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

Some banks offer what is called Digital Wallet.  A new card number is issued for all transactions that links back to the number on your card.  

Anytime someone else tries to use this one time number, it will be rejected by the bank.  

@Foxxee Is this like the digital wallet on my IPhone?

Respected Contributor

I had my bank card hacked and I had not used in it years except for a month ago at THE BANK. A week later I was notified someone tried to use my card in New York (not even close to me) but the expiration date hung them up. Very suspicious about it getting hacked right after I first used it at the bank. An inside job? Who else would possibly have this card # account # etc.? I ONLY used it once at the bank and a week later hacked. Weird.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Foxxee wrote:

@Foxxee Is this like the digital wallet on my IPhone?

@Sooner 

Sounds like it. 

There are a few non-bank companies that offer this service, too.  I don't know how they work.  

Esteemed Contributor

I always verify transactions with my debit/visa which is tied to my checking account daily. I went through a rash of credit card fraud a few years ago, very annoying. I would do everything correctly even checking to make sure that no skimmers were attached to the machines that I was using. Making sure to cover my pin number when entering it. etc.

In exasperation I asked the fraud department what was I doing wrong. I was frustrated, even though I received my money back immediately, I had to always change my card plus any retailer that I had it on file with.  The last person from the Fraud department that I spoke with told me to be careful with my card at the pumps at gas stations. From that moment on I would only use Cash for  gas or use my card at Costco. Costco at the time, had attendants that would actually go out and check all of the pumps hourly. 

It's been over four years and I have not had a problem since.  

Respected Contributor

We had our id stolen at gas station. 

Respected Contributor

Yes, gas stations are notorious for hacking ccards.  My late husband had his cc hacked immediately after buying gas at a pump with his cc.  Now I pretty much pay cash.