Regular Contributor

Every year I pick a month not to buy anything (clothes, shoes, handbags, jewelery, household items, etc) online as well as in stores. Only exception is toiletries and food. The last time I bought something was from QVC and that was on May 23rd. June as it turned out was the perfect month (didnt realize that was QVC birthday in terms of easy pay so worked out perfectly). I like to do things like that just for fun. 

Some months I wont eat sweets or red meat.

Does anyone else do this? 

Honored Contributor

Re: 12 days to go, well almost

@sue311 I have never done that but it is an interesting idea that I might copy.Have you ever reneged?I wonder if I am strong enough to make it through...guess I will have to try and see.

Respected Contributor

I don't do that, but it is an interesting concept.  Does doing this help curb or rethink your overall purchases during the year?

Honored Contributor

No, I've never tried that, but it is not unusual for me to only shop for essentials for months at a time.

Right now, I have enough clothing to last me all summer and don't need a thing.  I received a couple of $10 and $20 coupons from various stores.  They expire at the end of June.  ( I wish they didn't). Since I don't need anything, they will get trashed.

This month I have purchased two sets of sheets and an ORCA cooler, which were desperately needed, but I probably won't buy anything for myself or the home for months.  

IMO, it doesn't make sense to keep spending money on things we clearly don't need, 

I have given up soda pretty much forever and I can't eat food with gluten, so many baked items are out for good.

I will not give up chocolate.....not even do one day. I have no will power for that.

Regular Contributor

@dex I have never reneged. I would feel guilty or awful if I did that. I would think to myself I have no self discipline. You should try it maybe not as long as a month like maybe a week. 

Regular Contributor

@Allegheny actually the first time I did this helped me stop buying Logo clothes. My last purchase was June 2018. Thanks for asking. I had to go back and look at my purchases here online. It was really getting bad.

Respected Contributor

No, I don't do that but since I have totally gone through my home and donated what I don't want any longer, I am much more cognizant of what I purchase.  Of course, it makes my shopping less enjoyable LOL....but it is worth it.  Best of luck.

Respected Contributor

Good for you, it keeps life interesting and you find out 

what you can do without.

Honored Contributor

I think it would be easier for me to try this than fasting.  I'll have to think about it.

Esteemed Contributor

I seem to just go thru periods where I don't buy very much, other periods where I do. I imagine others are like that too. There is really no rhyme or reason for it.

Sometimes I'm in the mood to shop, other's I'm not.