Honored Contributor

Re: 12 days to go, well almost

I give up buying anything for myself and home during Lent.  Those 6 weeks are truly painful for me and very relieved when it's over.

However, I do sometimes cheat during those 6 weeks.  My aunt used to say Sundays don't count so if I really want something, I wait until Sunday to order--LOL!!!

Respected Contributor

I bought a bathing suit top and a t-shirt wihile on my vacation cruise to Hawaii several weeks ago.  Other than that, I haven't bought any clothes this year.

Honored Contributor

I've never heard of that,  other than for Lent.  I have a friend who gives up recreational shopping and restaurant dining for Lent.  Is it the challenge that makes depriving yourself of things fun?  

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree I am not depraving myself. Just something I thought of doing once and now its become a habit. I have an Allegria shoe on my wish list. Come July 1st I am buying it, but if it sells out, so what. There will be plenty more.

Honored Contributor

No.   My goal always is to spend as little money as possible, period.   I am a minimalist, buy only what I NEED, and have been that way my entire adult life.   

Respected Contributor

An interesting idea ... think I might try it ...

thanks ...

Honored Contributor

Funny that I'm seeing this now.  I was waiting for someone at an appointment, so to kill time I went through my wallet and did an *inventory* of all the gift cards I have.

Some have the full balance, some partial.  I called and got the balances for the ones I didn't know and wrote it on the card.

It totalled hundreds of dollars and I realized I could *shop* for weeks and not spend a dime.

Unfortunately, I dropped my cell phone and then ran over it while riding my bike.  Soooo, I don't know how long the cracked screen will *work*.  I dread having to get a new phone.  They are stupid expensive.

Respected Contributor

@sue311

I think this is a great idea; especially for those like me who have a hard time passing up something I see and want even though I need absolutely nothing,

I have enough clothes, shoes, jewelry to last me forever.  I am great at purging and do it very often, but it doesn't really help because I replace!

I am going to attempt this daring feat during July.  I am choosing that month because it will be my best attempt for success as not much new summer will be coming out and it is a little early for the Fall fashion to arrive    Don't have to worry about CIJ as July is too early for me to be thinking of Christmas.

As I am far from being a perfect person, if I manage to get through the month and buy only one or two things I can't resist, I will consider this a success.

Wish me luck!

Honored Contributor

@sue311 

Every month I give up something just to see if I can.

Once I tried chocolate, not a good idea.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

@sue311 In a way I do something like that , I just add more New Years resolutions.