Frequent Contributor

Wen Bamboo Green Tea Question

Bought the TSV and decided to give Wen one last try (had poor results in the past on my long thick dry hair/sensitive scalp) I swear Chaz said this formula was rice based on air but the booklet enclosed with the TSV says it's "soy based" on page 13. Anyone know which is correct? Thank you! FYI the package came today. Any tips? Thank you!

1) Can I get away with less pumps? 20+ pumps of a bottle this size sounds like a ridiculous amount of product to use for a single hair wash. I wonder if that's=a cup.

2) Have some scalp irritation lately. Will the Bamboo or 613 be a better place to start?

Respected Contributor

Re: Wen Bamboo Green Tea Question

My order hasn't arrived yet, I ordered the BGT as well. I just checked on chazdean.com and looked at the BGT ingredients and it says rice. As for number of pumps, I would start with the recommended amount and see how well it works. You could adjust from there.

ETA - I'm not a WEN expert by any means, but I'm sure you'll get more input from the ladies with more experience. I have no experience with your scalp question.

Super Contributor

Hi gingi!

Gosh I hadn't looked at the booklet in a long time so I just dug mine out from the TSV and page 13 shows 613, that is soy based. BGT is rice based

1) How long is your hair? Mine is thick and just past my shoulders and I use 8-10 pumps for 1st cleanse and 8-10 pumps for second cleanse. It seems like a lot but I've never been able to go without washing my hair daily before Wen, now I go 3 days. For your first time trying again, please use the full amount, gauge the results for your hair, then adjust.

2) I just started using BGT myself so can't comment, but also have a lot of scalp irritation with my eczema. Anxious to see how it works (I used it today!)

KEY TIP: ADD A SPLASH OF WATER after you apply the CC. This is a game changer. You'll feel the CC bloom and froth up.

Frequent Contributor

Thanks Buck-i-Nana. Honestly I was pleasantly surprised it arrived today. Usually it takes much longer for my QVC packages to arrive.

Valued Contributor

My suggestion (this is what I did) is to start off with the recommended pumps for your length of hair for a month, then start scaling back until you are satisfied with the look and feel of your hair. I love the smell of GTB but found it only okay for my hair as a standalone CC, makes a great mix with either TT or CA.

Here is a link for info on GTB you may find helpful.

http://community.qvc.com/forums/wen/topic/405868/wen-bamboo-green-tea-cleansing-conditioner.aspx

Honored Contributor

Haven't used the BGT as I just got it this evening. I too had bad results on my first try because I could not imagine using the recommended amount but found it is a must...I have even added a couple more pumps and my hair even looked better. Good luck!

BTW: I use a reg. shampoo for my first wash and use all my pumps for my second wash...I found for some reason this does not weight my hair down. My hair has about doubled in thickness using this method.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Frequent Contributor

Hi MissKlynn. Thanks for the response. I think perhaps the book has been updated to include the newer scents. My page 13 is different. I get eczema as well as seborrhea. Can totally sympathize. Wonder if Chaz would consider a ""free"" version with little to no scent and omitting ingredients most likely to irritate.

My hair is currently fairly long. Definitely a few inches below my shoulders. The winter heat has done a job to my my hair and it's even dryer than usual and I'm shedding all over. Thick and wavy. My hairstylist likes to joke she should charge me double because of my hair density. Because I'm dry I can easily get away with washing only once or twice a week.

I will definitely start with the recommended amount and give the cold splash a go.

You guys are such a help!

Super Contributor

gingi, you are right! I went to the wrong TSV box, lol, I got my shipment of the Aug TSV about the same time as this one so they were together. So many boxes hard to keep track.

Page 13 absolutely shows BGT and says it is soy based! Good catch! Rest assured it is Rice based though.

Excited to hear your results, please let us know how it goes! Trust me we've all had are ups and downs with Wen as we figure out what works best for our own hair. Everyone here will help you if you don't get the results you expect.

Welcome back!

P.S. The Wen oils have done wonders for my scalp... but that's another discussion. {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

Super Contributor

Oh just to clarify, the splash doesn't need to be cold! After you apply the cleanser either dip your head under the shower for a split second or cup your hands and gather water then add it to your hair. It emulsifies the cleanser while it is in your hair.

Trusted Contributor

Look at the ingredients. Yes, there is Hydrolized Rice protein near the bottom of the ingredient list. "Rice Based" indicates that rice is a major ingredient. It would be more accurate to say it is wWater and Cetearyl Alcohol based. I've had better results with this formula than the glycerin based formulas.

Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Bamboo Water, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Cetyl Alcohol, Aloe Vera
Leaf Juice, Bamboo Extract, Green Tea Leaf Extract, Black Tea Leaf Extract, White Tea Leaf
Extract, Rooibos Red Tea Extract, Passion Fruit Flower Extract, Goji Berry Fruit Extract, Acai
Fruit Extract, Seaweed Extract, Aloe Vera Leaf Extract, Lemon Peel Extract, Rosemary Leaf
Extract, Wild Cherry Fruit Extract, Chamomile Flower/Leaf Extract, Marigold Flower Extract,
Grapefruit Peel Oil, Lemon Peel Oil, Orange Peel Oil, Mandarin Orange Peel Oil, Bergamot Fruit
Oil, Clove Leaf Oil, Geranium Flower Oil, Cinnamon Bark Oil, Nutmeg Kernel Oil, Caraway Seed
Oil, Menthol, Panthenol (Pro­Vitamin B5), L­Arginine, L­Aspartic Acid, Glycine, L­Alanine,
L­Serine, L­Valine, L­Proline, L­Threonine, L­Isoleucine, L­Phenylaline, L­Histidine, Palmitoyl
Oligopeptide, Palmitoyl Tetrapeptide­7, Glycerin, Polysorbate­20, Polysorbate­60, Sodium PCA,
Sodium Lactate, Hydrolyzed Rice Protein, PCA, Tetrasodium EDTA, Stearamidopropyl
Dimethylamine, Amodimethicone, Fragrance, Ethylhexylglycerin, Carbomer, Phenoxyethanol,
Citric Acid.