Contributor

Questions about switching CC formulas

Hi everyone. This is my first blog on QVC. First, I want to say that I am a new Wen user (since December 2013) and I LOVE this stuff! I have fine hair, no color in it, although in the past I used to color always (Haven't for the past two years, grew out my natural hair and love it). I'm 29 and have always dealt with fine hair. I started with the Cranberry Mint but due to dry scalp I ordered the Tea Tree. LOVE Tea Tree!. My hair is thick, strong, and scalp is calm. I also use the TT oils 3 x a week as a night treatment, the POM volumizing spray and the POM Mousse, and the SAM balm (I love wen!)

I wanted to try another CC and read that the Sweet Almond Mint is a good one to use with TT. I just used the SAM alone it this morning so I could compare with the TT. I noticed that individual strands of hair were coming out (maybe like 10-15 pieces tops), only when my hair was wet. With the TT I never have this problem. My scalp is also feeling a little itchy, (again never with the TT). I do like the softness, shine, and bounce that resulted from the SAM though.

Questions: Just wondering if maybe SAM is just not a good formula for me, or maybe if I use them together it'll be great, or maybe because I was using TT that maybe my scalp just has to get accustomed to the SAM? Or maybe I am just a TT gal???

I hope no one reads this and thinks I'm bashing wen with the "hair falling out" bit (I've read those blogs), I truly believe in the product and believe it's just a matter of finding the right formulas and combinations and want to find the formulas that work best for my hair. Thanks in advanced for the advice ladies! Smile

Honored Contributor

Re: Questions about switching CC formulas

SAM is a universal formula. Our hair goes through a natural cycle of shedding from time to time - some stats say anywhere from 100-200 a day. Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with TT alone or mixing it with another CC. Getting in your WEN groove can sometimes take a little experimentation. You might consider ordering some of the smaller bottles of the formulas you're interested in, or maybe a Discovery set, and play around with them until you find what combo you like best.

Contributor

On 3/1/2014 JeanLouiseFinch said:

SAM is a universal formula. Our hair goes through a natural cycle of shedding from time to time - some stats say anywhere from 100-200 a day. Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with TT alone or mixing it with another CC. Getting in your WEN groove can sometimes take a little experimentation. You might consider ordering some of the smaller bottles of the formulas you're interested in, or maybe a Discovery set, and play around with them until you find what combo you like best.

Thanks for the reply! Yea I'm really not concerned about the little hair strands that came out, I read about the 100-200 a day, just was a comparison to how my scalp and hair respond to the SAM vs the TT. The itchy scalp I figure is due to the fact that maybe I have more of a sensitive scalp than I thought and that's why TT works so well for me. I think I'll try the TT and the SAM tomorrow morning together and see how the combo works.

Great idea about the discovery set!

Trusted Contributor

peanut- if I had to pick one CC it would be TT. I have hair down to my waist and have been using WEN for over two years now. I own every formula and always cocktail in different CC's but always use at least four pumps of TT on my scalp first and second cleanse. I really overbought at the beginning of my WEN journey thinking I would need way more product than I actually did- so now I just am using all that I have. My suggestion would be to use TT on your scalp and then mix SAM or maybe if you want to try FIG into the rest of your cleanse. I also own all the seasonals so I add them in for extra 'flavor'. Always the best values are the TSV and the OTO when Chaz is in town. Like others have said it becomes easy to add to your collection. Enjoy.

Contributor

On 3/1/2014 untitled said:

peanut- if I had to pick one CC it would be TT. I have hair down to my waist and have been using WEN for over two years now. I own every formula and always cocktail in different CC's but always use at least four pumps of TT on my scalp first and second cleanse. I really overbought at the beginning of my WEN journey thinking I would need way more product than I actually did- so now I just am using all that I have. My suggestion would be to use TT on your scalp and then mix SAM or maybe if you want to try FIG into the rest of your cleanse. I also own all the seasonals so I add them in for extra 'flavor'. Always the best values are the TSV and the OTO when Chaz is in town. Like others have said it becomes easy to add to your collection. Enjoy.{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

I was actually just on the phone with the Customer Service at Wen and they told me exactly what you said about the TT and then the SAM! Smile I'm definitely going to try this tomorrow. The TSV's and easy pays are definitely helping with adding to my Wen collection! I have my eyes set on the Lavender next, maybe even the Fig. I'm ready for March 15th!

Trusted Contributor

On 3/1/2014 peanut13 said:
On 3/1/2014 untitled said:

peanut- if I had to pick one CC it would be TT. I have hair down to my waist and have been using WEN for over two years now. I own every formula and always cocktail in different CC's but always use at least four pumps of TT on my scalp first and second cleanse. I really overbought at the beginning of my WEN journey thinking I would need way more product than I actually did- so now I just am using all that I have. My suggestion would be to use TT on your scalp and then mix SAM or maybe if you want to try FIG into the rest of your cleanse. I also own all the seasonals so I add them in for extra 'flavor'. Always the best values are the TSV and the OTO when Chaz is in town. Like others have said it becomes easy to add to your collection. Enjoy.{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

I was actually just on the phone with the Customer Service at Wen and they told me exactly what you said about the TT and then the SAM! Smile I'm definitely going to try this tomorrow. The TSV's and easy pays are definitely helping with adding to my Wen collection! I have my eyes set on the Lavender next, maybe even the Fig. I'm ready for March 15th!

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

oh me too - definitely looking forward to March 15. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

although Shakespeare might disagree...

Respected Contributor

Tea tree and Sam is a great combo. I think Tea tree seems more moisturizing to the scalp than Sam. TT is made for people with issues with dry scalp. At the same time, it is great for people with oily scalps because it helps to normalize oil production. Your scalp is not stripped, so it doesn't overproduce oil. I really think this is why so many people love tea tree. I would try the tea tree and Sam as a combo and see how you like it. I know what you mean when you said you liked the bounce that Sam gave your hair. I think Sam is a lighter formula than TT. You could always use TT on your scalp and Sam on your midshaft and ends, too. About the shedding, I shed about that amount when I cleanse. I have used Wen for almost two years. My hair is thick and healthy. Hope this helps. Good luck!! Keep us posted on how it goes.
Smiley Happy Hilary
Wen girl for 10 years!!
Contributor

Well this morning I tried the TT and SAM.......Amazing!!!! I used my TT oil last night before bed (I do the oils 3x a week). Then this morning I used the TT as my first cleanse then the SAM as my second cleanse. I used the TT as a leave in. I used the TT styling creme followed by the POM mousse and Vol. spray like I always do, wet hair. My scalp feels great, hair is shiny and bouncy. It's like the best of both TT and SAM all in one! As for the shedding it was normal today. I think I've found my formulas! (Of course there's always lavender to try lol) Thanks ladies for the advice!!!
Respected Contributor

On 3/2/2014 peanut13 said: Well this morning I tried the TT and SAM.......Amazing!!!! I used my TT oil last night before bed (I do the oils 3x a week). Then this morning I used the TT as my first cleanse then the SAM as my second cleanse. I used the TT as a leave in. I used the TT styling creme followed by the POM mousse and Vol. spray like I always do, wet hair. My scalp feels great, hair is shiny and bouncy. It's like the best of both TT and SAM all in one! As for the shedding it was normal today. I think I've found my formulas! (Of course there's always lavender to try lol) Thanks ladies for the advice!!!
Awesome! Glad you like it!
Smiley Happy Hilary
Wen girl for 10 years!!
Super Contributor

Don't get discouraged if a CC doesn't work for you. I think it's worth trying out a Discovery kit or a travel set to see what formulas do work. SAM and POM are both busts for me, but Fig, TT, 613, and Fall Apple Spice are (were!) perfect. So you have to be willing to invest a bit to find what will work for you. I now use the CCs I don't like as body wash and/or shaving cream. (This way, they don't go to waste so I don't feel bad about trying something that wasn't the best fit for me.)