Live Spring Beauty
131 Members and 16286 Guests Online

Viewpoints

The Most Infuriating Thing You Will Ever Read About the Modeling Industry

Started 1366691462.22 in Viewpoints | Last reply 1366862638.313 by mistriTsquirrel

This is from slate online and has a much longer article.

Modeling scouts have been gathering outside of Sweden’s largest eating disorder clinic, trying to lure critically thin patients onto the runway.

Let me type that again, with annotations. Modeling scouts—known for weighing young girls in public like cattle and targeting down-and-out families, but perhaps not for exploiting the life-threatening delusions of sick teenagers—were gathering—in the plural, so more than one person thought this was okay—outside of Sweden’s largest eating disorder clinic. They were there to recruit anorexic girls to their agencies, because where else would you search for perilously skinny young women who are unlikely to put on weight? Anna-Maria af Sandeberg, chief doctor at the 1,700-bed Stockholm Center for Eating Disorders, told the Metro newspaper, “People have stood outside our clinic and tried to pick up our girls because they know they are very thin.” “It sends the wrong signals,” she added.

The Local reports that the clinic had to change when and where patients could take their daily walks around the grounds because girls kept getting approached. One 14-year-old was handed a business card; an agent interviewed another girl who was so emaciated that she had been confined to a wheelchair. When care coordinator Christina Lillman-Ringborg tried to explain to the scouts that her charges “suffered from a serious illness,” the article continues, quoting Lillman-Ringborg, “They claimed that they approach healthy, normally slim young people and that they never urge anyone to lose weight; that’s how they defended themselves.”

Page 1 of 2
lovemygigi1366692284.795095 PostsRegistered 3/12/2010

Traveler, that is so disturbing. I think I caught a glimpse of this story being previewed for the evening news but never watched the entire show. I am saddened by this and even though it shouldn't surprise me, it does. I want to think people are better than this.

..." Right now, I'm in the sweet spot between complete ignorance and righteous indignation..." Stephen Colbert, 6/5/2014

traveler1366692388.9111904 PostsRegistered 12/14/2004ALASKA

you can read the entire article at slate.com

lovemygigi1366692966.715095 PostsRegistered 3/12/2010

Thank you, traveler. I will look it up.

..." Right now, I'm in the sweet spot between complete ignorance and righteous indignation..." Stephen Colbert, 6/5/2014

Hildegarde­ Withers1366695766.85323884 PostsRegistered 7/3/2008

How awful!

mistriTsqu­irrel1366701366.10710652 PostsRegistered 7/17/2010Purgatory, USA

Somehow I'm not surprised. I hear there are other industries where the problem of encouraging eating disorders is rampant...the first one that comes to mind is professional ballet dancers and other sorts of professional dancers. High school and college athletes may also be encouraged to lose weight in unhealthy ways, depending on the sport, which is also disturbing. And the public is downright brutal to anyone in the public eye who gains a few pounds...which can lead to unhealthy "quick-fixes" just to avoid the scrutiny.

I guess the "scouts" mentioned in the article are the next generation of ambulance-chaser-type leeches...where others see suffering, they see opportunity.

Our best defense against people like this is to raise our children to value a healthy lifestyle and to respect and love themselves...to raise them to feel confident, strong and independent. When you raise your children to find their strength and value from within, they are far less likely to go looking for it externally. Generally speaking, people who feel that they are valuable in their own right don't feel the need to adjust themselves for others. Personality plays a part in this as well, but parents play a huge part in the process of nurturing a well-adjusted, healthy, capable and confident adult.

I think about an aunt and uncle of mine, and two cousins. In addition to the encouragement my cousins have received (probably some harsh judgments too...I'm sure it wasn't all roses), my cousins were encouraged to get involved with causes, and to help others. The last one I heard about was Habitat For Humanity. My aunt and uncle are doctorate-level engineers...they didn't have to spend time with the kids teaching them to contribute, to be thankful for what they have and to have humility...but they did. Their kids are confident and kind. They are high-achievers. They also don't seem to pay a lot of attention to things like designer clothes, weight, makeup and other things that are "surfacey." I'm sure their lives aren't perfect, but they seem to be on the right track...nice kids who are maturing into confident but humble, responsible adults. I think that's really cool and would like to see more of that.

Heartburn Can Cause Cancer -- www.ecan.org

evelomaddi­ct1366713776.6638233 PostsRegistered 4/6/2013California

You can thank women for this. They're the ones that support the fashion industry, print media, etc.

"A free society should not grant freedom to those who want to destroy it." Geert Wilders

biancardi1366715192.9747273 PostsRegistered 11/7/2005

that is so wrong on so many levels. They should get a court order to keep those vultures away from the clinic.

The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair. Douglas Adams

Peaches Mc­Phee1366717851.051877 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 4/23/2013 mistriTsquirrel said:

Our best defense against people like this is to raise our children to value a healthy lifestyle and to respect and love themselves...to raise them to feel confident, strong and independent.

Our best defense is to stop buying these horrible fashion magazines that feature anorexic models in the first place. If "we" stopped buying the magazine, the magazine will change its practices, or go out of business. Women consumers make these decisions on their own.

Pro-aging.

MISERABLE661366721531.1374860 PostsRegistered 12/7/2010Noo Yawk

The industry will never change.

"Being miserable and treating people like dirt, is every New Yorkers god given right." - The mayor from Ghostbusters 2

Lila Belle1366722567.30310251 PostsRegistered 1/24/2013

Pathetic isn't it ?

Love thy neighbor means no exceptions.

"You don't need people’s opinion on a fact. You might as well have a poll asking: ‘Which number is bigger, 15 or 5?’ or ‘Do owls exist?’ or ‘Are there hats?'" John Oliver

traveler1366727467.17311904 PostsRegistered 12/14/2004ALASKA

For years I've heard that models are young teens who go to NYC or wherever to live and work without supervision. Explains why so many end up with health issues such as drugs.

Violet Eyes1366732697.183438 PostsRegistered 11/9/2012
On 4/23/2013 traveler said:

For years I've heard that models are young teens who go to NYC or wherever to live and work without supervision. Explains why so many end up with health issues such as drugs.

The better agencies do insist upon a certain criteria before they will employ a model. Eileen Ford back in the day used to put her models up in apartments and found then suitable housing. She kept an eye on her models and ruled with an iron hand.

Most models won't find work for long if they are anorexic or on drugs. It shows up in their photos and they won't work for long.

Personally, I think photos in magazines have little to do with anorexia. I think it is a mental illness that comes from control issues and altered brain chemistry and body image is a symptom not a cause.

The article you are citing.....those trying to employ anorexic models must be fools because no legitimate agency would do such a thing and most advertisers would refuse such a model.....

straitgirl1366735843.74322602 PostsRegistered 7/29/2006

I would much rather see a thin model than a large-size one, not meaning anorexic.

colliemom31366736125.1417283 PostsRegistered 9/7/2010

That's disgusting.

Moonlady1366736684.0114600 PostsRegistered 8/2/2007Upstate NY
On 4/23/2013 evelomaddict said:

You can thank women for this. They're the ones that support the fashion industry, print media, etc.

This is it in a nutshell. Women buy into this warped industry standard, and think they have to eat like a bird to be attractive.

__
Dogs feel very strongly that they should always go with you in the car, in case the need should arise for them to bark violently at nothing, right in your ear.
--Dave Barry

MotleyCrue­4EVA1366741041.1273096 PostsRegistered 7/17/2009South of Baltimore

That is a very broad, general statement which is not true; I, for one, do not support either things you mentioned.

"Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option"

stilltamn8r1366742096.94713953 PostsRegistered 6/14/2006So Cal

Next they will be waiting outside the morgue....

WSfan1366746912.3672201 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 4/23/2013 PinkSugar said:

I would much rather see a thin model than a large-size one, not meaning anorexic.

Wow! Hope that you get slammed, big time, for that comment. I am not model thin; never have been, never will be. It took me a very loooong time to realize that. Personally, I like seeing large sized models in clothing being sold on QVC or in store ads, because not all of us are lucky enough to have a good figure....and I don't want to be ill to have one. I'm well aware that everyone has their opinion; you let everyone know yours. This is mine.

traveler1366747426.8911904 PostsRegistered 12/14/2004ALASKA

I've read the concept of thin has changed through the decades. Today Marilyn Monroe would be hought of as overweight. As would Linda Darnell, Jane Russell and countless others. And have you ever seen a clip of a ballet dancer 30 years ago?

Violet Eyes1366747469.473438 PostsRegistered 11/9/2012
On 4/23/2013 Moonlady said:

This is it in a nutshell. Women buy into this warped industry standard, and think they have to eat like a bird to be attractive.

I don't think that women buy into this warped industry standard. 66% of people in the United States are either overweight or obese....

Ilikeshade1366747629.268882 PostsRegistered 4/20/2012
On 4/23/2013 Violet Eyes said:
On 4/23/2013 Moonlady said:

I don't think that women buy into this warped industry standard. 66% of people in the United States are either overweight or obese....

That's right.

Violet Eyes1366747978.263438 PostsRegistered 11/9/2012
On 4/23/2013 traveler said:

I've read the concept of thin has changed through the decades. Today Marilyn Monroe would be hought of as overweight. As would Linda Darnell, Jane Russell and countless others. And have you ever seen a clip of a ballet dancer 30 years ago?

Traveler, I have two friends who danced for the New York City Ballet and they danced back in the 70's. They were both bordering on anorexic and extremely thin. My husband and I used to go to restaurants with them and watching what they ate was a lesson in how to cut food into a million tiny pieces. The Ballet has a notorious reputation for their dancers to keeping a very low weight.

I have friends now who have daughters that dance and it seems that it is still just as rigirous.

WaJa611366770754.4474553 PostsRegistered 9/9/2012Blue Ridge Mts VA
On 4/23/2013 stilltamn8r said:

Next they will be waiting outside the morgue....

That was my exact thought! How incredibly sick, twisted -- MORBID -- these vultures are! I don't know why they can't be declared a public menace to health and welfare of especially young, impressionable women... I lost a dear friend, who was a young mother of only 32, at the time, to anorexia. She developed it during her teen years. Had several inpatient treatments -- years of out-patient therapy. There was no saving her, it seemed. I know eating disorders are much more complex than the influences of "fashion", but it is deliberately feeding into it in some cases, such as the OP's example. They need to take some responsibility!

~Joy

Irshgrl312­01136677461416234 PostsRegistered 3/14/2006

This is so disturbing it literally makes me sick.

VE, I agree with you about ballet dancers. When I was younger one of my babysitters was a ballet dancer, this was in the mid 70's. She is was so very thin and had SUCH pressure on her to keep her weight low and even lose more weight. She was about 5'8" and barely weighed 110lbs. She was constantly encouraged to lose more weight. I just don't understand how they expect an athlete like that to maintain that level of activity with nothing to fuel their body. Sickening. She was a beautiful dancer. I honestly never saw her eat anything when she was babysitting me beside frozen grapes and lettuce and tomatoes with a little vinegar on it.

traveler1366776893.82711904 PostsRegistered 12/14/2004ALASKA

I'm thinking of ballet dancers earlier than 70s. My how time flies. But the one I'm thinking of was athletic but definitely looked like a woman, not a prepubescent child.

Page 1 of 2