Contributor

Speed of heating may be the key

The new silicone oven liner has had a number of complaints about smoking, but I noticed that the same is true of the silicone liner from Cook's Essentials. A friend of mine and I ordered two of the TT liners to share the shipping. Mine was fine and hers smoked. So, what is the difference. So far we attribute it to the fact that she has a newer, electric stove that heats very quickly while I have an older gas stove that heats more slowly. We are going to experiment and bring her piece over and put it in my oven to be sure.

I haven't had an electric stove in more years than I can remember, but if I recall correctly, the ovens heat much faster on a pre-heat setting, so that might be a factor. What I did was put the silicone liner in, then set the heat on my stove to 225; after a while I raised it to 300 and after that turned it off and let it cool. The next time, I turned the stove to 350 and later raised it to 400. I had no smoking at any temperature, so it may well be a question of how fast an oven reaches its high temperature. There should be directions about this, but apparently neither manufacturer gives them.

Meanwhile, it is working for me in my oven, toaster oven and microwave, so there may be an advantage in having an old stove. lol

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Speed of heating may be the key

I have some of that silicone sheets from ages ago...I want to say it was from Lori G...but I could be wrong...it smoked the first time or two I had it in my oven and then it was done...I have the same sheet in there from that long ago and its just fine...I never pre-heated a little at a time...and I have an electric oven...I have some in my microwave, as well....

Maybe the newer silicone is different then mine...

Honored Contributor

Does anyone know just how safe it really is to be heating this silicone in the oven, any studies done about the chemicals it gives off?

I know there is silicone bakeware, and often wondered about that as well.

Regular Contributor

I don't use anything of the silicone for the reasons that mominohio stated.

Honored Contributor

I didn't buy the TT liner, but I did buy the CE liner late last year. Smoked terribly and I have an older gas stove. Was going to return it, but decided to use it as a liner under my sink and also on a slide-out drawer that needs a stronger liner than contact paper. Will not order again though.