Super Contributor

OUR TEXAS CHILI---VERY VERY GOOD!!!

2 lbs beef chuck, diced into small cubes

3 yellow onions chopped

6 cloves of garlic minced
1 tsp. dried cumin

6 jalapenos-seeded and chopped

2 tsps. salt

4 tablespoons good quality chili powder (we use Mexene)

1 tablespoon oregano

1 28 ounce tomatoes, including juice

Directions:

1 In a 6 quart kettle saute the bacon until clear.

2 Add meat, onions, garlic& jalapenos; cook& stir on high heat until browned.

3 When meat is brown and onions are clear add the rest of the ingredients, mashing up the tomatoes by hand.

4 Simmer 1 hour.

5 Correct seasonings

This recipe has been with my family for many many years. We first found it in a cookbook by the Frugal Gourmet. I did not grow up on this kind of chili at all and when hubby wanted to make it I was determined that it wouldn't be as good as what I was use to. My husband insists that "real chili", whatever that means, does not have beans in it. There are all kinds of posts on the web about chili with beans or no beans. I always liked the beans, but he made it and I must say he won me over. This is so good the next day and I like to take it and put into a flour tortilla that has shredded cheese on it. This will be one of the things we will be eating while watching the super bowl. Got our grocery list shopped and are back home watching the snow come down hard. We are suppose to get another 7-14 inches today on top of what we already have!!!!

Honored Contributor

Re: OUR TEXAS CHILI---VERY VERY GOOD!!!

TX chili is certainly a whole different product than Midwest chili. I think of ours as a macaroni casserole.

Trusted Contributor

Looks very good. Thanks. Just, the ingredient list doesn't mention bacon but the directions do?

Do the math.
Super Contributor

On 2/2/2014 MarieIG said:

Looks very good. Thanks. Just, the ingredient list doesn't mention bacon but the directions do?

So sorry. Don't know how I missed that. It's 8 strips of regular sliced bacon. Just had a bowl yesterday and it didn't disappoint. Always good every time and not that hard to do.

Sorry again for leaving that ingredient out.

Vicki

Honored Contributor

That's NOT Texas chili!
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

I never thought to put bacon in chili. What a great change that would be. My local butcher sells chili beef, which is roughly ground chuck. That would be good on this.....I used some in my pasties this year.

Super Contributor

On 2/9/2014 kachina624 said: That's NOT Texas chili!

Lol, Kachina, well you might get an argument from my big ole Texas boy!!! Guess it's like a lot of things, everyone has a different opinion about everything!!1

Have a Nice Day

Vicki

Super Contributor

On 2/9/2014 chips said:

I never thought to put bacon in chili. What a great change that would be. My local butcher sells chili beef, which is roughly ground chuck. That would be good on this.....I used some in my pasties this year.

Chips the bacon really does add another layer of flavor. Hope you try it sometime. We go to a local chili cook off among friends and this chili has won 3 times in 4 years.

Vicki