National Garden Month
19 Members and 16939 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Undereye bags gone, now have dark hollows

Started 1391198075.073 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1391268553.573 by UMDTerpFan

Hi BB gurus,

A few years ago, as a feel-better gift to myself after completion of chemo, I had a procedure done which eliminated the eyebags (full of fat deposits, not edema) I had and also the extra skin on my upper eyelids. Blepharostopy sp?

I don't regret it, I love having visible eyelids again, but now my beauty dilemma is finding concealers that make the hollows under my eyes not as apparent and also not drying. I have a drawerful of ones I have tried. Once all the fat was removed, lo and behold you can see they blueish-grey of the blood circulating below the skin. It's kind of darkly humorous to me, when I asked my derm's nurse about the darkness, she said "oh well we can just use fillers there." Whaaaa?

I am looking for suggestions for a concealer to address the darkness, maybe some of you have had this same experience and can offer what has worked for you?

What I have tried already: IT, Touche Éclat, Mally, BE's bisque, NK's version of Touche Éclat, various primers, am forgetting some.

Thanks in advance for any advice, Lesley

Page 1 of 2
MarenSeatt­le1391198401.014994 PostsRegistered 10/19/2013
I've had that procedure done a couple of times -- works UNTIL YOU GAIN WEIGHT again -- aarrrgh! Serves me right. :-) But now I'm at the age where I NEED some fat padding in my face, and I know exactly what you're experiencing. I've yet to find one that truly covers the darkness. I thought Laura Mercer worked for a while, but no longer. I'm thinking maybe Dermablend? Let's see with the wonderful women and men here have to say. :-)

BellaCarro1391198425.668656 PostsRegistered 10/1/2011Atlanta
Yeah, I see the irony. I've had moderate success with Mally's yellow stuff in a jar. Don't know the proper name of it. You still need concealer and moisturizer. She touts it as moisturizing but I don't find that to be true. I have yet to find one product that does what you are asking. At this point, I'd be happy with something that really does keep the area moisturized all day. Hopefully, there will be more responses.

MarenSeatt­le1391198516.5674994 PostsRegistered 10/19/2013
On 1/31/2014 BellaCarro said: Yeah, I see the irony. I've had moderate success with Mally's yellow stuff in a jar. Don't know the proper name of it. You still need concealer and moisturizer. She touts it as moisturizing but I don't find that to be true. I have yet to find one product that does what you are asking. At this point, I'd be happy with something that really does keep the area moisturized all day. Hopefully, there will be more responses.

That's the added wrench in the works -- moisturizing and not emphasizing lines. FIRST we have to find the perfect cover, though!

aprildreams1391198626.781434 PostsRegistered 5/2/2007

It Bye Bye Undereye concealer ......I use a brush to apply it. It covers everything and doesn't cake or crease.

MarenSeatt­le1391198795.2734994 PostsRegistered 10/19/2013
On 1/31/2014 aprildreams said:

It Bye Bye Undereye concealer ......I use a brush to apply it. It covers everything and doesn't cake or crease.

There are two different undereye coverage products, aren't there? Have you used both? I keep meaning to try that, and I keep forgetting! Thanks for the reminder -- next on my list!

turtle521391199133.7072813 PostsRegistered 2/22/2008

I use Amazing Cosmetics Amazing Concealer. I have dark under eye circles and I am in my early 60's. I have tried almost EVERYTHING and this is my favorite so far. The concealer comes in 20 shades (warm and cool) so you can find your exact match which I think is very important since I don't put foundation or powder over it. You should try it in the store for your perfect match--Sephora carries it. I also find that it is very opaque and is buildable and doesn't crease. HTH!

This too shall pass.

turtle521391199275.672813 PostsRegistered 2/22/2008
On 1/31/2014 MarenSeattle said:
On 1/31/2014 aprildreams said:

It Bye Bye Undereye concealer ......I use a brush to apply it. It covers everything and doesn't cake or crease.

There are two different undereye coverage products, aren't there? Have you used both? I keep meaning to try that, and I keep forgetting! Thanks for the reminder -- next on my list!

I have tried both--It's Concealer AND corrector . My main problem with them is that there are limited shades so it was impossible for me to get a good color match. As I wrote above, Amazing Cosmetics Concealer is my concealer of choice.

This too shall pass.

pdxlalesley1391199422.17311 PostsRegistered 9/14/2010
On 1/31/2014 MarenSeattle said: I've had that procedure done a couple of times -- works UNTIL YOU GAIN WEIGHT again -- aarrrgh! Serves me right. :-) But now I'm at the age where I NEED some fat padding in my face, and I know exactly what you're experiencing. I've yet to find one that truly covers the darkness. I thought Laura Mercer worked for a while, but no longer. I'm thinking maybe Dermablend? Let's see with the wonderful women and men here have to say. :-)

No MarenSeattle, say it isn't so! They didn't tell me fat might re-deposit! I will never be thin. I think I weigh about the same as when I had the procedures done. Oh well.

MarenSeatt­le1391199438.3034994 PostsRegistered 10/19/2013
On 1/31/2014 turtle52 said:
On 1/31/2014 MarenSeattle said:
On 1/31/2014 aprildreams said:

It Bye Bye Undereye concealer ......I use a brush to apply it. It covers everything and doesn't cake or crease.

There are two different undereye coverage products, aren't there? Have you used both? I keep meaning to try that, and I keep forgetting! Thanks for the reminder -- next on my list!

I have tried both--It's Concealer AND corrector . My main problem with them is that there are limited shades so it was impossible for me to get a good color match. As I wrote above, Amazing Cosmetics Concealer is my concealer of choice.

I was just going to thank you for your Amazing Cosmetics recommendation -- I'm going to check it out. Thanks!!

pdxlalesley1391200408.7311 PostsRegistered 9/14/2010
On 1/31/2014 turtle52 said:

I use Amazing Cosmetics Amazing Concealer. I have dark under eye circles and I am in my early 60's. I have tried almost EVERYTHING and this is my favorite so far. The concealer comes in 20 shades (warm and cool) so you can find your exact match which I think is very important since I don't put foundation or powder over it. You should try it in the store for your perfect match--Sephora carries it. I also find that it is very opaque and is buildable and doesn't crease. HTH!

turtle52, I will do a search on that brand as it is a new one to me. And there's a Sephora near me, thanks.

Silver Lin­ing1391200422.6033757 PostsRegistered 4/15/2010

Lesley, thanks so much for starting this thread! I had the bags under my eyes removed when I was about thirty-two. They made me look so tired all the time. They're genetic and my mother had them and they just got worse and worse as she aged. She said hers were no longer bags, they were suitcases. The hollows you described have developed since I've gotten older. Did your derm's nurse give you any details about fillers or did she change the subject when you recoiled in horror, lol?! Does anyone have any experience with Juvederm or Restylane as fillers under the eyes?

BellaCarro, I have some yellow concealer from YBF with the matching pressed powder but haven't tried it yet. The texture of the concealer seems kind of dry and stiff to me. I guess it could be mixed with a little moisturizer. What do you think?

turtle, I'll have to look into the Amazing Cosmetics concealer. I shop mostly at Ulta, but might have to go to Sephora to find it. Thanks for the recommendation.

pdxlalesley1391200543.913311 PostsRegistered 9/14/2010
On 1/31/2014 aprildreams said:

It Bye Bye Undereye concealer ......I use a brush to apply it. It covers everything and doesn't cake or crease.

Watching Jamie demo that, I ordered and wanted to love it, but the thickness doesn't work for me, and on my skin it does dry up, crease and show wrinkles like crazy. Thanks though.

pdxlalesley1391200766.28311 PostsRegistered 9/14/2010
On 1/31/2014 Silver Lining said:

Lesley, thanks so much for starting this thread! I had the bags under my eyes removed when I was about thirty-two. They made me look so tired all the time. They're genetic and my mother had them and they just got worse and worse as she aged. She said hers were no longer bags, they were suitcases. The hollows you described have developed since I've gotten older. Did your derm's nurse give you any details about fillers or did she change the subject when you recoiled in horror, lol?! Does anyone have any experience with Juvederm or Restylane as fillers under the eyes?

BellaCarro, I have some yellow concealer from YBF with the matching pressed powder but haven't tried it yet. The texture of the concealer seems kind of dry and stiff to me. I guess it could be mixed with a little moisturizer. What do you think?

turtle, I'll have to look into the Amazing Cosmetics concealer. I shop mostly at Ulta, but might have to go to Sephora to find it. Thanks for the recommendation.

Hi SilverLining, the nurse had also had her bags removed and she said her brother had too, but I didn't ask about the fillers at that time because my DH was with me and the thought of even more $ being spent was not going to be a happy subject. Also I'm a little squeamish about injections into that area, plus it would not be a one time fix. I do want to try fillers in my nose to cheek area but that will need to wait til next year.

MarenSeatt­le1391200766.9974994 PostsRegistered 10/19/2013
On 1/31/2014 pdxlalesley said:
On 1/31/2014 MarenSeattle said: I've had that procedure done a couple of times -- works UNTIL YOU GAIN WEIGHT again -- aarrrgh! Serves me right. :-) But now I'm at the age where I NEED some fat padding in my face, and I know exactly what you're experiencing. I've yet to find one that truly covers the darkness. I thought Laura Mercer worked for a while, but no longer. I'm thinking maybe Dermablend? Let's see with the wonderful women and men here have to say. :-)

No MarenSeattle, say it isn't so! They didn't tell me fat might re-deposit! I will never be thin. I think I weigh about the same as when I had the procedures done. Oh well.

They didn't tell me, either! Thankfully I was going in for a nose job and he said he'd just do them again :-)

After the second time, I haven't gained (much) weight, so no fatty deposits have reappeared, now, like the OP, it's the hollows! Can't win for losing, ya know? :-)

Silver Lin­ing1391203175.6573757 PostsRegistered 4/15/2010
On 1/31/2014 pdxlalesley said:
On 1/31/2014 Silver Lining said:

Lesley, thanks so much for starting this thread! I had the bags under my eyes removed when I was about thirty-two. They made me look so tired all the time. They're genetic and my mother had them and they just got worse and worse as she aged. She said hers were no longer bags, they were suitcases. The hollows you described have developed since I've gotten older. Did your derm's nurse give you any details about fillers or did she change the subject when you recoiled in horror, lol?! Does anyone have any experience with Juvederm or Restylane as fillers under the eyes?

BellaCarro, I have some yellow concealer from YBF with the matching pressed powder but haven't tried it yet. The texture of the concealer seems kind of dry and stiff to me. I guess it could be mixed with a little moisturizer. What do you think?

turtle, I'll have to look into the Amazing Cosmetics concealer. I shop mostly at Ulta, but might have to go to Sephora to find it. Thanks for the recommendation.

Hi SilverLining, the nurse had also had her bags removed and she said her brother had too, but I didn't ask about the fillers at that time because my DH was with me and the thought of even more $ being spent was not going to be a happy subject. Also I'm a little squeamish about injections into that area, plus it would not be a one time fix. I do want to try fillers in my nose to cheek area but that will need to wait til next year.

It sounds like maybe she's had the under eye fillers but, hey, she most likely gets hers free. The cosmetic surgeon who put a dab of juvederm in my lower lip does fat transfer for lips and under eyes, but those are irreversible. I would be terrified. I was very, very nervous with the little bit of juvederm injection. For me, it hurt A LOT, even with a dental block, topical anesthetic gel, and the assistant holding my hand. I'm afraid to ask how much the Restylane would hurt.

Meant to say Restylane injected in the eye hollows. I hope someone whose had it done will see this and give advice.

Last edited on 1/31/2014

turtle521391203769.572813 PostsRegistered 2/22/2008
On 1/31/2014 MarenSeattle said:
On 1/31/2014 turtle52 said:
On 1/31/2014 MarenSeattle said:
On 1/31/2014 aprildreams said:

It Bye Bye Undereye concealer ......I use a brush to apply it. It covers everything and doesn't cake or crease.

There are two different undereye coverage products, aren't there? Have you used both? I keep meaning to try that, and I keep forgetting! Thanks for the reminder -- next on my list!

I have tried both--It's Concealer AND corrector . My main problem with them is that there are limited shades so it was impossible for me to get a good color match. As I wrote above, Amazing Cosmetics Concealer is my concealer of choice.

I was just going to thank you for your Amazing Cosmetics recommendation -- I'm going to check it out. Thanks!!


You're welcome! I really LOVE it! Oh, BTW, I also THINK that Ulta carries it.

Just a tip because it is expensive: I bought it during the holidays with Sephora's 20% off offer. Once you find your perfect match, if you don't want to pay full price, Google it because there are websites that carry it and they offer 20% off pretty regularly.

Also, especially if you have dark circles, I find that you need to go darker than you might think. I wear Light in most foundations but I bought this in Medium Beige. The lighter colors did NOT give me enough coverage. Good luck and let me know what you think after you get it.

This too shall pass.

Ford12241391204069.9513234 PostsRegistered 3/25/2012

Wow, I am so lucky. When I came down with hypothyroidism, the bags under my eyes looked like water buckets. It aged me ten years. I went to my friend's cosmetic surgeon and he removed them completely. It was such a nothing surgery, I had a bruise under one eye for about two days, and the stitches removed in three days. My eyes were perfect, the bags have never returned, and I have no dark discoloration, and not even a single wrinkle.

I had them done when I was 50 and I am now 76, so that was one of the best things I ever did for myself vanity-wise. I don't remember how much it cost, it was under $1,000, but it was sure worth it. It all depends on the individual and the surgeon I guess.

Whatsoever things are true, honest, just, pure, lovely, of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

RedConvert­ibleGirl1391204274.57314859 PostsRegistered 9/3/2005Pacific NW

Concealers don't seem to help with my dark circles. What works for me is an eye brightener pen, but you said you've tried Touche Eclat so I am at a loss. I use a cheap one by Avon that works wonders.

When we shoulder the mantle of compassion no cry goes unheard and no wound goes unhealed. In this world of seemingly endless suffering we have to believe that no one is beyond hope of rescue. Scotlund Haisley, Animal Rescue Corps

turtle521391204895.042813 PostsRegistered 2/22/2008
On 1/31/2014 RedConvertibleGirl said:

Concealers don't seem to help with my dark circles. What works for me is an eye brightener pen, but you said you've tried Touche Eclat so I am at a loss. I use a cheap one by Avon that works wonders.


Concealer helps with MY dark circles, but you HAVE to find the right one and more importantly, the RIGHT COLOR.

This too shall pass.

MarenSeatt­le1391204979.054994 PostsRegistered 10/19/2013
On 1/31/2014 turtle52 said:
On 1/31/2014 MarenSeattle said:
On 1/31/2014 turtle52 said:
On 1/31/2014 MarenSeattle said:
On 1/31/2014 aprildreams said:

It Bye Bye Undereye concealer ......I use a brush to apply it. It covers everything and doesn't cake or crease.

There are two different undereye coverage products, aren't there? Have you used both? I keep meaning to try that, and I keep forgetting! Thanks for the reminder -- next on my list!

I have tried both--It's Concealer AND corrector . My main problem with them is that there are limited shades so it was impossible for me to get a good color match. As I wrote above, Amazing Cosmetics Concealer is my concealer of choice.

I was just going to thank you for your Amazing Cosmetics recommendation -- I'm going to check it out. Thanks!!


You're welcome! I really LOVE it! Oh, BTW, I also THINK that Ulta carries it.

Just a tip because it is expensive: I bought it during the holidays with Sephora's 20% off offer. Once you find your perfect match, if you don't want to pay full price, Google it because there are websites that carry it and they offer 20% off pretty regularly.

Also, especially if you have dark circles, I find that you need to go darker than you might think. I wear Light in most foundations but I bought this in Medium Beige. The lighter colors did NOT give me enough coverage. Good luck and let me know what you think after you get it.

I've found that I generally have to go a little darker w/my concealers. (The only exception I can think of is Laura Mercier). If I go with the same shade as my pale, pale, pale face, my undereyes look as though I drew on large white circles. Maybe it's the combo of the fair shade "mixed" with the dark? Anyway, I'll take your suggestion and try them out in person. :-)

Peachypink1391205073.63180 PostsRegistered 7/22/2005
I've always had hollows under my eyes. When I decided to get liposuction, the doctor suggested I get the fat injected under my eyes. It lasted for 4 years. The problem with fillers is that they only last for a short period of time. Now I am back to square one. It cosmetics "Hello" eye brightener helps, as did Touche Eclait. Best of luck!

florey1391210131.66132 PostsRegistered 12/27/2013
What works best for me is Garnier under eye concealer with the little rollerball. I roll it on under my eyes and tap it with my fingers to blend. You can get it at the drugstore, it's cheap, feels good, and you can touch up easily during the day. I haven't found anything that lasts all day so I really appreciate ease of application.

NycVixen1391212231.333232 PostsRegistered 10/15/2010NYC

I developed dark under eyes about a year and a half ago. The only thing that has worked for me is either using Laura Gellar's balance and brighten, applying it with a round puff (like the one for pressed powder) or her French Vanilla highlighter using the double ended brush. I like the french vanilla a little better. You must apply your eye cream, let it absorb then use a qtip with some water to get off the excess so the product does not clump up.

pdxlalesley1391214705.2311 PostsRegistered 9/14/2010
On 1/31/2014 turtle52 said:
On 1/31/2014 RedConvertibleGirl said:

Concealers don't seem to help with my dark circles. What works for me is an eye brightener pen, but you said you've tried Touche Eclat so I am at a loss. I use a cheap one by Avon that works wonders.


Concealer helps with MY dark circles, but you HAVE to find the right one and more importantly, the RIGHT COLOR.

I so agree, I have tried light, light-Med., Medium, and they all seemed to have too much yellow for my skin. (My entry picked up your font.)

pdxlalesley1391214870.487311 PostsRegistered 9/14/2010
On 1/31/2014 NycVixen said:

I developed dark under eyes about a year and a half ago. The only thing that has worked for me is either using Laura Gellar's balance and brighten, applying it with a round puff (like the one for pressed powder) or her French Vanilla highlighter using the double ended brush. I like the french vanilla a little better. You must apply your eye cream, let it absorb then use a qtip with some water to get off the excess so the product does not clump up.

Hi NycVixen, I have both the Balance & Brighten and Laura's French Vanilla Highlighter, and never thought to try either of them for undereye--I will give them a try! Thanks.

Page 1 of 2