19 Members and 17777 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

QVC funny math for refunds - and not funny ha ha

Started 1386013587.347 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1386284342.297 by ASLTW

I bought PTR Instant Firm X eyes and decided to return it. Unopened. Not used

To get it to me: Paid 38, and 4.49 s/h to = $42.46

So I used the pre-printed return s/h label for $6.95 (why it cost more to return than to send is not in this equation)

So $42.46- $6.95 s/h should = $35.51

but no. I got $31.05 returned , in two payments for some reason. No, this makes no sense whatsoever and it's just ridiculous.

check your returns. this is not cool at all

Page 1 of 2
LipstickDi­va1386014116.0141858 PostsRegistered 4/22/2005On the Lake in Ohio

I would definitely call them about it. They messed something up somewhere. I just got credit, in 2 installments on the same day, but mine added up properly. I think if you pay using easypay, they refund in installments, just like you paid.

I know it's not a huge amount of money but if they do this to everyone, they are getting a lot of extra money.

You can't buy love but you can adopt it. Adopt, don't shop.

Santorini1386014342.797361 PostsRegistered 1/26/2007

They messed up mine too. I returned it FedEx and paid for it myself, so the refund should have been the whole amount paid originally, but it was short about $8.00. Strange.

happy hous­ewife1386015350.6734389 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007

You should have gotten back the original price plus the original S&H and only had to pay the return Shipping.I would call Customer service.

When faced with senseless drama, spiteful criticism or misguided opinions walking away is the best way to defend yourself.To respond with anger is an endorsement of their attitude. -Dodinsky

Haley1386015697.297543 PostsRegistered 7/21/2006PA

WOW- that happened to me as well. Mine was returned in 2 payments as well. I don't have the exact figures now but it ended up to be a total if $11 short! Even if they don't refund tax, mine tax wasn't $11!

"...it's all good, start creaming/contouring..." -shoptillIdrop

CassieM1386027954.666950 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
When you return something to the Q, you are refunded the purchase price only, not the shipping charge. The math adds up if you remove your original shipping charge from your refund. (You made a small error in your own calculations.) 38 + 4.49 = 42.49; 42.49 - 6.95 =35.54 (pre-printed label); 35.54 - 4.49 = 31.05 (original shipping cost to you). Or more simply, purchase price 38 minus return shipping 6.95 = 31.05.

Last edited on 12/2/2013

CassieM1386028114.8936950 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 12/2/2013 happy housewife said:

You should have gotten back the original price plus the original S&H and only had to pay the return Shipping.I would call Customer service.

The Q only refunds shipping if the item is defective. The return policy states returns will be refunded PURCHASE price (meaning cost of item). Not that I agree with it, I just make sure I always read return policies carefully.

Last edited on 12/2/2013

momcat1386028584.9536708 PostsRegistered 9/12/2010

I've never received my original shipping charge back on a return unless there was a quality issue, so it doesn't seem to be "funny" math to me.

Let me know if you suddenly become interesting.

Sara317731386029028.8450 PostsRegistered 12/9/2010

No that's not right. When you return something you will get the price of the original item minus the shipping both ways. You only get the refund for the item itself.

Daysdee1386029160.01320329 PostsRegistered 1/23/2007
On 12/2/2013 Sara31773 said:

No that's not right. When you return something you will get the price of the original item minus the shipping both ways. You only get the refund for the item itself.

No. You are to get the full amount paid including shipping to you and tax. If you used QVC's label, they deduct the $6.95. If you pay to ship it back, you get the full amount you originally spent.

Tribefan1386029545.293312 PostsRegistered 11/27/2009
Is that a new policy- not refunding the original S/H? I know in the last I paid the postage to return the item but I've always been refunded the total cost including S/H. QVC was the only company I knew of that did this. My last return was a few months ago but I just checked & my refund included the S/H.

Alter Ego1386029777.7472338 PostsRegistered 8/23/2007Chicago
If you return an item AFTER the 30 day time period, the original shipping isn't refunded back. However, with the Holiday extended returns, the commercial even specifically states that the original shipping will be included. You always have to pay return shipping unless the item is damaged. That's always been my understanding.

hfpint1386029981.8771007 PostsRegistered 2/21/2008

That is funny math!!

When you make a return to the Q, you get refunded the original shipping but NOT the return shipping which can run $6.95 on up. I've had one refund that the return shipping was $8.95! Unfortunately, even if the item is defective you don't always get refunded the return shipping - that happened to me earlier this year with a Judith Ripka bracelet. The clasp was bent and wouldn't stay closed.

LipstickDi­va1386084478.75741858 PostsRegistered 4/22/2005On the Lake in Ohio

It amazes me that people shop with QVC and have no idea that Q refunds the original s/h you pay to have the item sent to you.

How do people not know this?

You only pay to return the item. The full amount is refunded. Purchase price + s/h + tax!

wackers1386085937.1677444 PostsRegistered 7/12/2007SW

You need to call CS and get the right amount credited. I have found that this is the one area where you really need to check that you get credit for the initial purchase PLUS the initial shipping. If you pay to ship it back yourself then you will receive a full refund which includes original s&h fees. If you do use a label, it will say on that label what the return shipping fee will be (either $6.95 or $8.95) and you can hold QVC to that. They are the ones that sent that label.

You have to remember that some of the employees in the warehouses might not always be the sharpest math aces. But once you call CS and review it with them, they will credit the appropriate amount to you. I have done this tons of times because I have been shorted on returns a lot. I always check my return credits for that reason and hang on to my portion of the invoice until I have.

I have never had a problem with CS refunding the amount owed to me. I suspect they get calls on this a lot. And if something is defective, you do not have to incur return shipping fees. Anyone who does should call CS and get the shipping refunded.

I sometimes combine items in one box, as long as they are going back to the same warehouse and I always check to be sure I wasn't double charged for using more than just one label. If they do, CS always corrects it for me.

I have returned a few shoes recently bought from the FFANY event and I was refunded my original purchase price and all s&h fees and this was within the last week so QVC has not changed their policy. The hosts do make a point of saying all holiday returns will be refunded the item price plus any s&h fees when returned by 1/31/2014. I have heard them say it a number of times.

I am still­ oxox1386088212.435683 PostsRegistered 5/14/2006North of NYC - the greatest city in the world
On 12/2/2013 Helen Bach said:

So I used the pre-printed return s/h label for $6.95 (why it cost more to return than to send is not in this equation)

but no. I got $31.05 returned , in two payments for some reason. No, this makes no sense whatsoever and it's just ridiculous.

Very simple you do not get your shipping and handle back - 38 - 6.95 is 31.05, try doing the math next time

Decided to change up my SN a bit, and maybe this is a bit clearer :)

Always be Happy, always wear a smile .. Not because life is full of reasons to smile, but because your smile itself is a reason for many others to smile :)

sunshine451386088791.25345593 PostsRegistered 1/13/2007east coast and west coast
  • What's your return policy?

We want you to be completely satisfied with your purchase. If for any reason you're not, send your item back within 30 days of receipt for an exchange or full refund of the purchase price, less the applicable Q Return Label fee. Purchases from QVC and use of QVC services are subject to our General Terms and Conditions of Use, which can be found in our Privacy Statement, or by calling Customer Service for more information.

• Do you offer an extended return policy during the holidays?

Yes, you can shop with confidence this holiday season! Any gifts you purchase from September 22, 2013 through December 23, 2013 at Noon ET can be returned for any reason until January 31, 2014. You can exchange the item (if available) or you can return the gift for a full refund of the purchase price and original Shipping & Handling charges.

Last edited on 12/3/2013

Improve time in the present; for opportunity is precious, and time is a sword. -- SAADI

pink dogwo­od1386093257.6333551 PostsRegistered 7/11/2007

I beg to differ with most if not all of you INCLUDING what QVC professes to be the accurate amount of a refund.

Never in any of my Q days does the Q refund s/h. And only sometimes do they refund the full amt or any thereof tax paid. Sometimes I use the pre-pd $6.95 label, sometimes not. Sometimes I'll return more than one item in my return package so I pay the s/h. I always check to see what it cost them to send to me and if it's less than $6.95 prepd label, I'll pay s/h myself. Why would I use the label that costs me more when it didn't cost them as much.

I just went through some of my most recent returns to check the amts and most were off by cents. Not worth my time and trouble to call CS. If they were off by dollars, I'd be calling them.

I also did just email CS on what exactly they do refund and just how they come up with their figures.

AlleyCat1386093645.131522 PostsRegistered 2/7/2007Tornado Alley
On 12/2/2013 Daysdee said:
On 12/2/2013 Sara31773 said:

No. You are to get the full amount paid including shipping to you and tax. If you used QVC's label, they deduct the $6.95. If you pay to ship it back, you get the full amount you originally spent.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Lanikins1386093926.5231886 PostsRegistered 6/13/2009

I buy a lot and unfortunately return a lot, and ALWAYS receive my original shipping. ALWAYS. Even if I opt for express shipping ($11+), that amount is refunded. This really isn't up for debate. If you are not getting the ORIGINAL shipping refunded, get QVC on the phone and find out why.

"Friend. Good."
― Frankenstein

ItsME1386098495.8833774 PostsRegistered 5/1/2008Sunny South Florida

if this was purchased before the extended holiday return offer and returned beyond the 30 day period, s/h would be deducted from the refund. If that's not the case, I would expect customer service to adjust the refund.

LipstickDi­va1386098704.62741858 PostsRegistered 4/22/2005On the Lake in Ohio
On 12/3/2013 Usedtobeoxox said:

Very simple you do not get your shipping and handle back - 38 - 6.95 is 31.05, try doing the math next time

You shouldn't be so snippy especially because you are incorrect. QVC DOES refund the original s/h the customer pays to have the item sent to them provided it is returned in 30 days or during the extended return policy.

How are people so clueless?

Last edited on 12/3/2013

LipstickDi­va1386098888.44341858 PostsRegistered 4/22/2005On the Lake in Ohio
On 12/3/2013 pink dogwood said:

I beg to differ with most if not all of you INCLUDING what QVC professes to be the accurate amount of a refund.

Never in any of my Q days does the Q refund s/h. And only sometimes do they refund the full amt or any thereof tax paid. Sometimes I use the pre-pd $6.95 label, sometimes not. Sometimes I'll return more than one item in my return package so I pay the s/h. I always check to see what it cost them to send to me and if it's less than $6.95 prepd label, I'll pay s/h myself. Why would I use the label that costs me more when it didn't cost them as much.

I just went through some of my most recent returns to check the amts and most were off by cents. Not worth my time and trouble to call CS. If they were off by dollars, I'd be calling them.

I also did just email CS on what exactly they do refund and just how they come up with their figures.

I have never not had QVC refund my original s/h or my sales tax. The only amount I am NOT refunded is the fee for the return shipping label, if I use it. If the item is defective, QVC even refunds that.

I don't think people know what they are getting refunded. If anyone is returning items within 30 days and not getting the s/h refunded, you have been getting ripped off. And I don't believe Q is doing that.

I am still­ oxox1386099047.095683 PostsRegistered 5/14/2006North of NYC - the greatest city in the world
On 12/3/2013 LipstickDiva said:
On 12/3/2013 Usedtobeoxox said:

You shouldn't be so snippy especially because you are incorrect. QVC DOES refund the original s/h the customer pays to have the item sent to them provided it is returned in 30 days or during the extended return policy.

How are people so clueless?

Ha I can be as snippy as I wish, do the math its a simple deduction, or wait did they not teach you this in charm school

Always be Happy, always wear a smile .. Not because life is full of reasons to smile, but because your smile itself is a reason for many others to smile :)

I am still­ oxox1386099201.6835683 PostsRegistered 5/14/2006North of NYC - the greatest city in the world

From the website, all I see is full purchase price, nothing about shipping and handling

<h4 style="margin: 0px; padding: 35px 0px 0px; font-size: 12px; color: #333333; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: 16px;"> What's your return policy?</h4>

We want you to be completely satisfied with your purchase. If for any reason you're not, send your item back within 30 days of receipt for an exchange or full refund of the purchase price, less the applicable Q Return Label fee. Purchases from QVC and use of QVC services are subject to our General Terms and Conditions of Use, which can be found in our Privacy Statement, or by calling Customer Service for more information.

suzyQ31386114719.65727387 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007

I'm not a big QVC shopper, but I have returned several items and ALWAYS have had the original shipping cost refunded. It's one thing that makes QVC stand out among other retailers.

I don't know why this fact is not stated directly in their standard return policy, but you will find it under their extended return policy:

<h4>Do you offer an extended return policy during the holidays?</h4>

Yes, you can shop with confidence this holiday season! Any gifts you purchase from September 22, 2013 through December 23, 2013 at Noon ET can be returned for any reason until January 31, 2014. You can exchange the item (if available) or you can return the gift for a full refund of the purchase price and original Shipping & Handling charges.

Anyone who has ever returned an item knows this. I've seen this argument dozens of times in the past few years, and almost always, there is confusion about whether people are talking about original or return shipping costs.

Last edited on 12/3/2013

~ CHOICE ~

Page 1 of 2