54 Members and 17253 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

I see now why the shipping costs are so high......

Started 1384285202.11 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1386743098.713 by cpn2jxp

I just came back from our post office where I mailed a rather small box to my mom. It couldn't have weighed more than a couple of pounds, if that. It had a flameless candle that I bought locally and some lottery tickets. Just a "thinking of you" package. It cost $9.72 to mail it from NH to NV......WHAT??????????? I didn't even use the fastest option which would have been over $11.00. The post office guy said it was high because of the distance.....jeeze, I'm not sending it to the moon. Maybe QVC's shipping costs aren't so out of line?

Ok- I'm done ranting.....

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next
brewhaha1384285664.8353439 PostsRegistered 1/14/2007Sitting in front of my computer

And that doesn't include the handling part of the costs.

"I don't want clever conversation. I never want to work that hard."
Billy Joel's Just The Way You Are

RedConvert­ibleGirl1384285807.88314890 PostsRegistered 9/3/2005Pacific NW

I usually can't complain about Q's s&h charges. I once went to ship a pair of shoes through USPS several years ago. The cheapest way to ship them would've cost me close to $13.00.

When we shoulder the mantle of compassion no cry goes unheard and no wound goes unhealed. In this world of seemingly endless suffering we have to believe that no one is beyond hope of rescue. Scotlund Haisley, Animal Rescue Corps

suzeecat1384285917.0472156 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Postage has increased a great deal over the years. No doubt QVC's shipping costs have increased, HOWEVER, they do enjoy much lower quantity rates that the average Joe mailing out one package at a time. It's hard to understand how Amazon, Overstock, Zappos, and so many other on line shippers can offer greatly reduced and/or FREE shipping - WITHOUT RAISING PRICES ON THEIR PRODUCTS - and QVC can't do the same.

Reepicheep­ers1384285933.793124 PostsRegistered 11/24/2007

A couple of weeks ago, I mailed a padded paper envelope that weighed 15 oz. (not even 1 pound!) from CO to MI. It cost more than $6!

Every time I step into the post office, the rates on something have gone up.

AngelLove21384286180.322746 PostsRegistered 3/2/2007

Recently I was at the PO. A lady was mailing a small package. The postal worker suggested she use/buy a box from the PO. It was a flat rate...around $6. I am not sure what it is but I think you can send as much as you can stuff into the box for the same amt. Someone else might have more info. It is worth checking out.

RedConvert­ibleGirl1384286362.7414890 PostsRegistered 9/3/2005Pacific NW

Yes, the USPS has flat rate Priority Mail boxes. I think a small box is around $6.00 to ship, medium $13 and I don't know what the large is. But whatever fits in the box is one flat rate, regardless of weight.

When we shoulder the mantle of compassion no cry goes unheard and no wound goes unhealed. In this world of seemingly endless suffering we have to believe that no one is beyond hope of rescue. Scotlund Haisley, Animal Rescue Corps

sahmIam1384286427.3131263 PostsRegistered 9/25/2005

I've stated this a few times here and have been jumped on/flamed Every. Single. Time.

"You don't know what you're talking about... No, it doesn't cost that much.... They get a discount and should pass it on to us..... They get a deal should we should pay nothing.... Other companies don't charge so the Q shouldn't....." etc.

My point was it costs money to ship and it's isn't cheap. I only use the USPS Priority boxes because I can stuff a LOT in one of the boxes and pay one price no matter the cost which includes tracking and insurance. But... even then, the cost is NOT low ($5.95 for the smallest size). I no longer can afford to send anything via UPS. Even if QVC gets a discount, UPS or USPS is NOT going to discount it to the point where no profit is made and some of those items are HUGE/HEAVY to ship... far more than what the Q charges.

But, no one wants to hear that; they'd rather rage.

wellergirl1384287632.22314 PostsRegistered 8/23/2007

Shipping via the USPS is much cheaper than both FEDEX and UPS. I would recommend the Priority Flat Rate shipping boxes as RedConvertibleGirl suggested. Free tracking and free insurance on the first $50.

cleogrl1384288228.217856 PostsRegistered 5/19/2006

I hear you; I just had the same experience. I just returned the Tony Little TENS unit that I purchased on a today's special last month. Nothing wrong w/ it, it just didn't do anything for me. I paid $9.79 to ship it from FL to AZ and that was standard. It was in a folded over 9 x 11 envelope. I too asked the post office employee if there was a cheaper way and I was told no and the only other way was priority at over $11.00. It's also taking forever to arrive. I mailed it last Monday and it still hasn't been delivered.

Last edited on 11/12/2013

Danish Gal1384288545.147920 PostsRegistered 8/2/2007Arizona
Qvc refunds original shipping charges on returns whether defective or not. Hsn is the only other place that I know of that does this. One way to recover these costs is to charge high shipping rates as there are more purchases that are kept than returned.

suzeecat1384290659.7472156 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

One benefit to these higher shipping costs for me is that it has greatly curtailed impulse purchases. I think REALLY HARD before ordering something. It has to be something that I REALLY want, REALLY need, at a REALLY GOOD PRICE, that I can't find anything comparable locally. I also REALLY hate waiting in line at the post office, which line is going to get longer and slower the closer to the holidays it gets. My post office has a 24-hr. lobby, but many times the postage machine is not working, or the mail slot to drop packages is locked.

Daysdee1384290765.0520141 PostsRegistered 1/23/2007
On 11/12/2013 RedConvertibleGirl said:

Yes, the USPS has flat rate Priority Mail boxes. I think a small box is around $6.00 to ship, medium $13 and I don't know what the large is. But whatever fits in the box is one flat rate, regardless of weight.

I have these boxes, but never used them. Are they insured or is that extra?

AlleyCat1384290980.9871516 PostsRegistered 2/7/2007Tornado Alley

I don't complain about the Q's S&H most of the time, I just wish they would offer incentives like Sephora and others where if you spend a certain amount of money shipping would be free. That would be a bone they could throw us.

ChillyTulip1384291131.881833 PostsRegistered 7/15/2007

QVC's S&H charges are outrageous---but someone has to pay for the serial returners and all the $$$ they cost everyone.

There was an interesting article on Yahoo recently about shipping and handling charges. It stated that consumers are now accustomed to FREE S&H and they gave some tips on how to score free if it's not offered. The message of the article was "Don't pay shipping charges. You can do better elsewhere." I laughed when I read it---should have emailed it to QVC.

Unless it's something I cannot get anywhere else I won't buy it from QVC, especially clothing and shoes. Over $7 to ship ONE top or sweater? Outrageous. I can do better at so many other online stores. And Amazon ROCKS!!!

KatCat11384291417.29718129 PostsRegistered 7/21/2011

Shipping goes according to weight and the size of the package. I hardly feel sorry for the Q as they get discounts for mass shipping. I returned an item that cost me a little over $2.00 without insurance and the Q charge almost $8 to ship. No sympathy from me.

queenfrann­ie1384291450.227262 PostsRegistered 10/11/2011

Well, why can Norstrom, Sephora and Macy's and many more have noS&H? I just cancelled the TSV that I ordered today The $89.00 became $111.and change.

When the Queen is happy there is peace in the kingdom

haddon91384291603.6336267 PostsRegistered 10/18/2005Bucks County, Pa
On 11/12/2013 wellergirl said:

Shipping via the USPS is much cheaper than both FEDEX and UPS. I would recommend the Priority Flat Rate shipping boxes as RedConvertibleGirl suggested. Free tracking and free insurance on the first $50.

Not always. I have an Etsy store and most of my packages that I ship weight around 4 or 5 lbs. It's much cheaper for me to ship them FedEx than to use USPS particularly if the distance is far. FedEx also includes insurance, it's extra for USPS. It really pays to compare prices which is easy to do online if you have a scale.

susan_ca1384291741.0232191 PostsRegistered 4/18/2013

I think ShopHQ has the best shipping deal, compared to the Q. When comes to their TTV, their prices are a lot lower than their regular prices, not just a few dollars like the Q. Plus, they give additional incentives, like free S&H or 6 ValuePays or both.

2 bad things about ShopHQ:

(1) ShopHQ's shipping is that they RARELY offer price reduction if you buy the same product in multiple.

(2) The quality of their clothing items left a lot to be desired -- this is my experience. Quality control seems almost laughable.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald, "The Crack-Up" (1936)

wellergirl1384291978.49314 PostsRegistered 8/23/2007
On 11/12/2013 haddon9 said:
On 11/12/2013 wellergirl said:

Not always. I have an Etsy store and most of my packages that I ship weight around 4 or 5 lbs. It's much cheaper for me to ship them FedEx than to use USPS particularly if the distance is far. FedEx also includes insurance, it's extra for USPS. It really pays to compare prices which is easy to do online if you have a scale.

Insurance is not extra on the first $50 of value on the Priority FLAT RATE boxes. USPS started that a couple of months ago.

pinkie201384292523.26248 PostsRegistered 11/14/2010

I bought 2 things on amazon amounting to $21, the total shipping was $13.62. I paused a while before hitting the submit button. Shipping on each was almost $7. I rationalized they are items I really need and can't buy locally or it would cost that much for gas to go shopping looking and then might never find them or would be a higher price.

Danielle461384293002.791989 PostsRegistered 12/26/2011New York

In this day and age the majority of online retailers have STOPPED charging for shipping & returns or if you spend a certain amount they don't charge for it.

QVC charges for every single thing that you order. For example, if your watching say Isacc's show and you order three items, QVC charges shipping for every single item. WHO DOES THAT!!! They should all be shipped together and you should be charged one flat rate or if you spend a certain amount with QVC we should get free shipping.

They would NEVER think of doing that because they make money off of shipping. Everything is pure profit for them. We pay for the item, we pay for shipping and handling and we pay for the return.

The problem is no one is complaining so they continue to get away with it at a time when everyone else has stopped charging for shipping. I can go to any online retailer and buy several things and only get charged ONCE (it at all) for shipping or a flat rate. So don't be so fast to defend QVC. They are laughing all the way to the bank.

winamac11384293272.37733569 PostsRegistered 12/29/2010Indiana
On 11/12/2013 suepriem said:

Postage has increased a great deal over the years. No doubt QVC's shipping costs have increased, HOWEVER, they do enjoy much lower quantity rates that the average Joe mailing out one package at a time. It's hard to understand how Amazon, Overstock, Zappos, and so many other on line shippers can offer greatly reduced and/or FREE shipping - WITHOUT RAISING PRICES ON THEIR PRODUCTS - and QVC can't do the same.

ITA sue

"Friends don't let friends...drink white zinfandel"

Sooner1384293477.03316489 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

But to not include in the price is game playing and that's what insults me. Why make us do the math? And all the 22 cents and 17 cents and such. That is stupid.

millieshops1384298476.2116457 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007

Depends. Amazon is humongous compared to QVC. If the Q is getting a discount, just imagine how big a discount Amazon must get. Also, millions of people sign up for prime, but lots of them don't actually use even $79 worth of postage. Free money for Amazon.

As for Zappos - I can frequently get a better price elsewhere, or the same price - and I do pay sales tax - so I just try to shop locally where I can benefit from a trained shoe fitter.

millieshops1384298477.42716457 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007

Depends. Amazon is humongous compared to QVC. If the Q is getting a discount, just imagine how big a discount Amazon must get. Also, millions of people sign up for prime, but lots of them don't actually use even $79 worth of postage. Free money for Amazon.

As for Zappos - I can frequently get a better price elsewhere, or the same price - and I do pay sales tax - so I just try to shop locally where I can benefit from a trained shoe fitter.

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next