Big Bonanza Silver Sale(R)
92 Members and 13159 Guests Online

For the Home Talk

Does anyone have brass fixtures in their bathroom ?

Started 1330349273.153 in For the Home Talk | Last reply 1331601932.963 by GoodStuff

When I moved into my house, my bathroom was updated with brass fixtures. Does anyone have brass in their bathroom anymore ?

Page 1 of 2
faeriemoon21330349827.396583 PostsRegistered 1/7/2009

I think brass has been "out" for a few years now. We still have brass in one of our bathrooms; hate it.

"I'm not crazy; my mother had me tested." ~ Sheldon Cooper ~

happy hous­ewife1330349860.60334387 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007

We had brass in our Pittsburgh home but our new florida home has all brushed nickel.

We brought our very beautiful antique brass LR table lamps with us when we moved so I bought antique brass cieling fan and chandelier for the LR/DR and I understand from a designer friend that antique brass is becoming very popular. It is a much softer color than the old shiny brass. I didn't like the look of the bronze they were showing everywhere when we moved against our light colors - it was too strong a contrast as that bronze is so dark it is almost black.

When faced with senseless drama, spiteful criticism or misguided opinions walking away is the best way to defend yourself.To respond with anger is an endorsement of their attitude. -Dodinsky

curlywhite­dog1330350043.6376604 PostsRegistered 6/2/2005Central NJ

It's so funny that you ask that because a week or two ago we finished a remodel of our master bathroom and switched from brass fixtures to oil rubbed bronze and now that I see how updated that look is I was thinking I should also be changing the brass faucets both in our main bath as well as our half bath on the first floor.

Along with oil rubbed bronze, brushed nickle seems to be in favor as well, but brass and chrome, not so much anymore.

Maria

Last edited on 2/27/2012

Last edited on 2/27/2012

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up".

Witchy Wom­an1330350366.1672833 PostsRegistered 12/17/2005

Twenty years ago, when we built are Victorian dream home, brass fixtures were very popular. However, I only used them in my powder room and used chrome elsewhere.

We recently redid our bathrooms and I'm replacing the brass powder room fixtures with rubbed bronze which will work better with the new counter and vessel we are installing and the antique mirror I have over the vanity cabinet. The brass still looks beautiful, but I wanted something different.

The rest of the fixtures are still chrome which, to me, always looks fresh, but I did want to update the brass. I will tell you our fixtures alone were very pricey, (I was stunned when my husband told me the cost which included his builder's discount!). I did consider pewter and brushed nickel....but after looking at them for a LONG time, I decided that chrome really was my preference as it is just timeless....and my fixtures were very updated...so the chrome really adds a nice spark. I was concerned I would tire of the duller finishes...

If someone JUST updated all your fixtures to brass, I might have to learn to live with them rather than replace them right away! I think they can still look lovely....but it really depends on what YOU like and how you've got our bathroom decorated.

Last edited on 2/27/2012

Last edited on 2/27/2012

BigBro61330350825.9932775 PostsRegistered 11/15/2007Lafayette New Jersey

Yea, I know brass is outdated, but didnt want to put bucks in the house anymore. My towel rack, tissue holder, door knobs and faucet all brass. I do not like anymore either ! I'll probaly move in 10 years, tired of putting bucks in the house. Also, another bath has brass.

I lived in the house for 13 years....so ...if I was still working, I would update everything in a second.

Last edited on 2/27/2012

Last edited on 2/27/2012

WoW1330359461.0971526 PostsRegistered 12/27/2011

I do, and absolutely LOVE mine! My master suite is formal with cherry poster bed & chests, etc. which have brass pulls, etc.

http://gapublications.com/new-design-idea/solid-hard-wood-furniture/

The middle photo is kinda similar to mine.

Oil rubbed bronze, tho, is what I put in the main floor powder room, which goes with the rest of the main floor decor, and brushed nickel in the boys' bathroom, which goes with that decor.

It's like saying a fragrance or perfume is "out of style". If you love it and it smells great on you, enjoy it!

Last edited on 2/27/2012

Last edited on 2/27/2012

nutmeg31330359865.045423 PostsRegistered 6/18/2007NJ

I have brass fixtures in my powder room. I have chrome with a touch of brass on the fixtures in my master bath, and chrome fixtures in my hall bath. Today brass is not in.

bopper1330361065.86714216 PostsRegistered 8/5/2007

We used to and switched it out to rubbed oil bronze also. My foyer ceiling fan is brass and I really hate it. Want to get a new one.

bunkster1330361161.327828 PostsRegistered 4/20/2010

I found a towel ring from Delta innovations that ihas bright brass touches on a polished nickel ring, so I've been 'blending' the two finishes to avoid complete replacement at one time. Eg, changed out faucets to nickel, but left the touches of bright brass on the light fixture. I figure if Delta can do it, why not?

My theory is that bright brass has been 'out' so long, by the time I get around to changing it all out, it will be back again. (well, maybe not, but knowing my luck.....) {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Qvie Victo­riah1330361974.71028 PostsRegistered 1/9/2008St. Louis, Missouri

I have brass in one bath, and updated it by putting a two tone towel rack in. Fortunately we'll be changing all of the vanity so it'll all be moot soon.

"Give of yourself. The return is greater that the gift."
*:)

happy hous­ewife1330371305.9734387 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007
On 2/27/2012 WoW said:

I do, and absolutely LOVE mine! My master suite is formal with cherry poster bed & chests, etc. which have brass pulls, etc.

http://gapublications.com/new-design-idea/solid-hard-wood-furniture/

The middle photo is kinda similar to mine.

Oil rubbed bronze, tho, is what I put in the main floor powder room, which goes with the rest of the main floor decor, and brushed nickel in the boys' bathroom, which goes with that decor.

It's like saying a fragrance or perfume is "out of style". If you love it and it smells great on you, enjoy it!

Last edited on 2/27/2012


What i am seeing on that photo is called antique brass and is what is sort of replacing the shiny yellow brass of the 80's. That is what we have in our LR/DR.My friend who is a professional decorator told me this was the newest upcoming and that sooner or later copper is going to replace stainless steel in kitchens.Just like rose gold is replacing silver in jewelry - it has to be a totally revolving process so people keep spending on updating.

When faced with senseless drama, spiteful criticism or misguided opinions walking away is the best way to defend yourself.To respond with anger is an endorsement of their attitude. -Dodinsky

WoW1330371558.8831526 PostsRegistered 12/27/2011

Yes, morning lover, your last sentence says it all -- gotta keep changing what's "IN" to keep the money flowing in sales.

I see so many folks (esp. first-time home buyers who are so young) on HGTV acting like life isn't worth living unless they have granite and stainless steel in their kitchens -- I just laugh because in 5 yrs, those items will look oh, so very dated and passe, while those folks will still be heavily in debt from the purchase!

Try going into a house that was cutting edge, state-of-the-art 1985 and see all the features that seem so icky. That's how those "IN" items will be in short order.

Fifi11330386652.394851 PostsRegistered 1/21/2005
In the midst of a huge home remodel...all baths and the kitchen completely gutted three weeks ago. Our home was 1988 built and got rid of all shiney brass. We had lots of updated lighting installed and I selected brushed chrome where I have have a fixture. Our master bath is pretty brushed chrome sconces, can't wait to see them up! My kitchen is lots of natural stone and tile, and granite and I don't think will look etedmfor many years.

50somethin­ggirl1330387627.747369 PostsRegistered 12/6/2007

Just got rid of it in my bathrooms. Replaced with chrome. I know the nickel plated is popular but don't want to go through this again. Just got chrome which is always available and holds up well. Brass is terrible mainly due to how it corrodes so easily. Mine was really corroded, celebrated when it went in the re-cycle can. Also replaced the brass outdoor light fixtures with white fixtures, they look so much better and cleaner. Brass just doesn't hold up to the elements. My townhouse was built mid 90's and the previous owner (original) had all brass everything. Most of it is gone now, thank goodness.

june11330422823.523592 PostsRegistered 10/21/2006
On 2/27/2012 bunkster said:

I found a towel ring from Delta innovations that ihas bright brass touches on a polished nickel ring, so I've been 'blending' the two finishes to avoid complete replacement at one time. Eg, changed out faucets to nickel, but left the touches of bright brass on the light fixture. I figure if Delta can do it, why not?

My theory is that bright brass has been 'out' so long, by the time I get around to changing it all out, it will be back again. (well, maybe not, but knowing my luck.....) {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

We're thinkin' alike here bunkster! Gotta be creative :) There came a time when I just said that I decide for myself what's "in" ... and if economy ever looks brighter, so will my faucets! LOL!

chumlee_1330427384.625381 PostsRegistered 10/3/2008

I have some brass fixtures in my house in two of the bathrooms and they are beautiful - I really don't care what is in or out to the masses, but what I like and how it looks it that particular room.

cheers!

chum

No outfit is complete without copious amounts of horse slobber on it.

happy hous­ewife1330454562.77334387 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007
On 2/28/2012 chumlee_ said:

I have some brass fixtures in my house in two of the bathrooms and they are beautiful - I really don't care what is in or out to the masses, but what I like and how it looks it that particular room.

cheers!

chum

That is the right attitude - ITA - it is all just marketing anyway.

My parents and the people of their generation certainly would have never gotten rid of stuff that was still perfectly operating because the styles had changed. I believe this is a product of the shows on TV like HGTV or DIY etc. that everyone thinks it is a mortal sin to have anything that is "outdated" in their home.Since we have a home that is less than 2 years old things right now are nice and modern but as the styles change I can't imagine us running out to Home Depot to replace all the satin nickel fixtures currently in our home. I believe in using it til it breaks.

When faced with senseless drama, spiteful criticism or misguided opinions walking away is the best way to defend yourself.To respond with anger is an endorsement of their attitude. -Dodinsky

brewhaha1330455217.8951469 PostsRegistered 1/14/2007Sitting in front of my computer

I had some trouble mounting my brass faucet.

"I don't want clever conversation. I never want to work that hard."
Billy Joel's Just The Way You Are

KatherineW1330464360.60328130 PostsRegistered 3/16/2009Alabamian by Birth; Southern By The Grace of God

I updated mine to brushed nickle. I vote no on brass.




luvie1330467865.607785 PostsRegistered 7/9/2005

i have brass in the master bath of my new home.... can't wait to get rid of it and never liked it. i'll probable buy chrome as it seems to always "be around."

arrianna1330476674.8475072 PostsRegistered 10/20/2010
On 2/27/2012 WoW said:

Yes, morning lover, your last sentence says it all -- gotta keep changing what's "IN" to keep the money flowing in sales.

I see so many folks (esp. first-time home buyers who are so young) on HGTV acting like life isn't worth living unless they have granite and stainless steel in their kitchens -- I just laugh because in 5 yrs, those items will look oh, so very dated and passe, while those folks will still be heavily in debt from the purchase!

Try going into a house that was cutting edge, state-of-the-art 1985 and see all the features that seem so icky. That's how those "IN" items will be in short order.

I like chrome.

CardinalGi­rl1330695397.7176960 PostsRegistered 7/11/2007

We built a beautiful master bath about eight years ago--truly the bath of my dreams. Even though brass was already on the way out, I still had it put in because it looked great with the decor.

Fast forward to last fall--I redid the bath--new vanity, new paint and all new fixtures. I switched everything, including new shower doors, to oil-rubbed bronze and I love it!

I posted these pictures when I redid the bath, but I'm going to post them again. The shower doors had not been installed yet, so you can see them in the brass--they're reflected in the mirror. My new doors were installed a couple of days later.

http://s904.photobucket.com/albums/ac243/CardinalGirl_photos/New%20bath/

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass.....it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Flowershop­Girl1330715324.9772812 PostsRegistered 3/30/2011OR

Last year I switched to the hammered copper sinks and fixtures for my kitchen and master bath; I'm going to do the same for my guest bath in the fall.

Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog;
but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog.

Douglas Mallock

fluty1330717316.873814 PostsRegistered 2/16/2007
On 2/27/2012 BigBro6 said:

Yea, I know brass is outdated, but didnt want to put bucks in the house anymore. My towel rack, tissue holder, door knobs and faucet all brass. I do not like anymore either ! I'll probaly move in 10 years, tired of putting bucks in the house. Also, another bath has brass.

I lived in the house for 13 years....so ...if I was still working, I would update everything in a second.

Last edited on 2/27/2012

You can spray paint them.... It works!

redtabby1330718776.93810 PostsRegistered 8/18/2005

The only brass left in our house is all the door knobs and hinges and the hanging fixture in the breakfast nook. I would love to replace them but don't know what would be the best finish choice and DH is not thrilled with the idea of changing all the knobs and the keyed knobs.

Page 1 of 2