Big Bonanza Silver Sale(R)
147 Members and 14085 Guests Online

For the Home Talk

Need to buy new bathroom scale. Help!

Started 1293077076.07 in For the Home Talk | Last reply 1293760535.937 by shopandgo
replies

I came home to find the scale in pieces. To be fair my guest probably did not break it. It was rather old. I want to replace it with an accurate, easy to read scale. Any bells and whistles would be nice but I do not want to over spend on it.

I have posted my comment to another forum since I have no clue which category this belongs to.

I tried to "google" for help but I really did not get the information that would help me make a decision.

Page 1 of 1
LA Trainer1293077733.4871511 PostsRegistered 10/20/2004Los Angeles, CA

Hi BonniLu--I can recommend Tanita scales. I've had one for several years, and my clinical partner/internist has one in his office. I bought mine at Bed Bath and Beyond. They have several models, so whatever fits your budget.

American College of Sports Medicine Certified Personal Trainer

mooshbear1293078086.843857 PostsRegistered 12/9/2010

we have a weight watchers scale that has lasted us a while. It was around 30-40 dollars and it allows you to set mutiple profiles to keep track of your weight from weigh-in to weigh-in but also just get on and weight without choosing a profile. it measures to a tenth of a pound and we have found it to be extremely accurate (like it or not sometimes).

bonnielu1293080726.3276210 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Western Maryland

Heading out tomorrow to look around. Thanks. Both seem like good options.

BackktoBru­nette1293084171.062224 PostsRegistered 10/7/2010a Jersey Girl in PA
On 12/22/2010 LA Trainer said:

Hi BonniLu--I can recommend Tanita scales. I've had one for several years, and my clinical partner/internist has one in his office. I bought mine at Bed Bath and Beyond. They have several models, so whatever fits your budget.

ITA - I've had mine for years (bought it at Sears) and it also tells you your body fat percentage. If you go to www.shopping.com, you'll be able to get it a the lowest price. Or, you could just go to amazon.com and also get free shipping. Or go, as mentioned, to BB&B.:)

roser1293088215.68143 PostsRegistered 11/23/2010South Carolina

I love my Weight Watchers scale. Lightweight, digital, easy to read. I've had it about three years now and it's great.

bonnielu1293148341.2036210 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Western Maryland

Glitch:

Hope this does not get lost. Problem: Went shopping. Warning on many new scales for those who have PACEMAKERS. Lots of good advice but very few of the regular scales are left on the market that are NOT multi-function. The ones that measure fat, and bone etc also carry warnings for Pacemaker wearers and pregnant woman.

Hubby has pacemaker and HE was why I was buying it. Not sure what to do.

Quiltmaker1293148583.19337 PostsRegistered 6/23/2005

I've heard that those that purport to measure body fat etc. aren't really very accurate.

We grew tired of the digital scales giving three different readings in three weighings in three minutes so we bought the old-fashioned rotary style. The only problem is that I can't see the darned dial - and I'm only 4'11" away from my feet! Also the dial measures 2lb at a time and I need to know if I've lost (or gained) in fractions!!

LA Trainer1293217935.1531511 PostsRegistered 10/20/2004Los Angeles, CA

Hi Bonnielu--the Tanita scale that I have can be used with or without the body fat measurement feature, and my guess is that most other scales can also be used this way. Since the microcurrent used to measure body fat is the interfering factor for pacemakers, perhaps you can ask your husband's cardiologist for her/his input.

Alternatively, I saw an analog scale at the BBBY web site. The manufacturer is Soehnle, and the price was $39.99. If you have any coupons around, that's even better.

PS Quiltmaker: It's true that body fat measurements from scales vary in accuracy, but they're useful for an estimate since it's important to know. I use a hand-held meter for my clients, which is more accurate than the old method of skin-fold calipers. The most accurate method is hydrostatic testing (aka the dunk tank), but since that's not readily available, this is the next best thing.

American College of Sports Medicine Certified Personal Trainer

shopandgo1293760535.917438 PostsRegistered 12/15/2009

I got one for Christmas from Sam's club, I think it was around 40-50 dollars. It has room for 12 people to store their information. It shows body fat, muscle, water, weight and one more thing I can't remember right now. It has a smooth glass front and digital read out. You put in your height, age, etc. and it tells you where you fall based on your stats. It is very nice.

Page 1 of 1