24 Members and 17249 Guests Online

Dooney & Bourke

Are the Yellow Plaid Dooney's OK for Fall/Winter or Just Spring/Summer?

Started 1296239206.527 in Dooney & Bourke | Last reply 1296660393.43 by kelsey 03

I planned on using the red plaid for Fall/Winter only.

What do you all think?

Page 1 of 1
Angry Bird1296239443.335076 PostsRegistered 10/17/2007TX

I can't answer for anyone else but I wear what I like whenever I want to...none of these silly "rules" apply to me! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} I see nothing wrong in carrying red plaid handbag in summer/ and yellow plaid in the winter/fall.

KEEP LOOKIN' UP 'cuz that's where it all is!
~Kidd Kraddick~ 8/22/1959-7/29/2013

SarahW1296240655.12316741 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Personally I consider plaid a fall/winter...but that's just me. I still won't wear white after Labor Day. {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

Lavenderju­nkie1296241952.7313638 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I think it depends on how your outfit is put together. If the colors coordinate in some way then I think any color works all year long. But if it looks out of place, then it is.

NHkvs1296242305.9674428 PostsRegistered 5/4/2010New England Coast
On 1/28/2011 SarahW said:

Personally I consider plaid a fall/winter...but that's just me. I still won't wear white after Labor Day. {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

Like Sarah-The yellow is fine year-round, but the plaid to me says fall/winter! Likewise about white! {#emotions_dlg.laugh} No "Winter white" for me! I still have some wardrobe "hangups!" {#emotions_dlg.blink}-Karen

Last edited on 1/28/2011

Last edited on 1/28/2011

NHkvs

BREEZYBEAR1296242402.8933106 PostsRegistered 10/21/2007

all year around tome,i love that bag.

Lovin2Learn1296273588.75206 PostsRegistered 6/23/2008

I bought the red plaid satchel from QVC and I'm wearing it now in the winter, and I will continue to wear it all year round. These days anything goes and besides who cares what anyone else thinks? If you like your plaids and they make you happy, then wear whatever you want whenever you want and let YOU be the one to set the rules for you! Plaid is fun, preppy, and worn all year round, so go for it!

Lovin2Learn

momtotwinb­oyz1296273610.4832705 PostsRegistered 12/12/2009

Hey there.

Not quite sure how to weigh in on this.

Plaid in general to me seems fall/winter, HOWEVER, looking at the bags in different colors, I would say...

the navy, red, hunter, deep darker colors, I would wear in colder months but

the blue, yellow and even the taupe are so bright and cheery, I could definitely wear those in the spring/summer months.

This is only ME personally. All of the other women in my family, on the other hand, will wear the same bag every day, all year, until the seams are ripping and they could care less.

aprimo1296274474.6632155 PostsRegistered 3/26/2010

I think the yellow plaid could work for all seasons. Really, I think most of the colors are pretty versatile. The only ones I think I would really restrict to fall/winter are the crimson, charcoal and probably navy. Plaid doesn't automatically scream fall/winter to me. I do think it's kind of a conservative "preppy" look, which is fine. Now, what works in spring/summer in the Northeast (for instance) can be a lot different from what works on the Gulf Coast.

But I would suggest in this case that you go with what you like. It's not a devastating faux pas to carry a red plaid bag in the summer. A sinkhole is not going to open up on the sidewalk or anything. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Jeanne R1296291471.2234788 PostsRegistered 7/5/2010

you have got a good plan and a better idea for me

Islandgirl­70321296310282.6312846 PostsRegistered 6/7/2007Savannah, GA

Personally, plaid doesn't scream fall/winter to me.

I would carry a navy bag in summer, so why wouldn't I carry a navy/green plaid bag?

Same thing for the white, red, cream, yellow and taupe.

To me those colors are fine for year round, so why not in plaid?

The only plaid that screams fall/winter to me is the charcoal.

But that's just me......

SIU Mom1296312186.6873369 PostsRegistered 11/30/2009

I will carry any color, any time of the year. Sometimes when I'm digging for a bag in my closet I'll see a green, yellow, orange, blue, etc bag that I haven't carried in while. If the size fits my need for the day, I'll pull it out and carry it, regardless of the season.

When MTTB and I were at the Dooney outlet I was drawn to the light blue plaids. She told me I should just get one because they were obviously calling me. I just wish I had listened to her and the bags!{#emotions_dlg.laugh} (Maybe they will have President's Day weekend sale?)

Last edited on 1/29/2011

Last edited on 1/29/2011

SarahW1296316971.86316741 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Plaid is just one of those patterns that traditionally comes out in fall fashions, for fall/winter. It's like spring flowers or Easter bunnies or whatever. {#emotions_dlg.lol} I agree with the others, that certain bright colors seem more appropriate for spring/summer, though. I'd say just wear whatever you like and don't worry about it.

Islandgirl­70321296321031.12712846 PostsRegistered 6/7/2007Savannah, GA

It could also be a regional thing.

Here in Savannah, we have a large Irish presence and the 2nd largest St. Patricks Day Parade/Celebration in the country, so we see plaid here year round!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

momtotwinb­oyz1296325903.792705 PostsRegistered 12/12/2009
On 1/29/2011 Islandgirl7032 said:

It could also be a regional thing.

Here in Savannah, we have a large Irish presence and the 2nd largest St. PatricksDay Parade/Celebration in the country, so we see plaid here year round!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

That's a very good point IG!

I think here in Chicago where we have hot and cold seasons, it's different than regions that are warm all year.

I would love to wear white and pastels right now, but I just can't do it. {#emotions_dlg.laugh} That's just me.

Lovin2Learn1296362865.38206 PostsRegistered 6/23/2008

When most people think of plaid, like some have already said they think of winter time. But I think you are all forgetting about those beautiful summer plaids we've had for the past several seasons found in shorts, capris, and tops. Plaid equates fun to me and when I see plaid, it always makes me smile no matter the colors. Oh wait, I just lied because there's one plaid I can't wear even though I absolutely love the navy and greens together. You see I went to an all-girls Catholic high school and we had to wear green and navy plaid pleated skirts, and to this day, I can't wear anything that reminds me of those skirts! But most of you will not have this problem but don't forget about the fun summer plaids!

Lovin2Learn

ahirau1296366261.11493 PostsRegistered 9/4/2010Portland, OR
On 1/29/2011 Lovin2Learn said:

When most people think of plaid, like some have already said they think of winter time. But I think you are all forgetting about those beautiful summer plaids we've had for the past several seasons found in shorts, capris, and tops. Plaid equates fun to me and when I see plaid, it always makes me smile no matter the colors. Oh wait, I just lied because there's one plaid I can't wear even though I absolutely love the navy and greens together. You see I went to an all-girls Catholic high school and we had to wear green and navy plaid pleated skirts, and to this day, I can't wear anything that reminds me of those skirts! But most of you will not have this problem but don't forget about the fun summer plaids!

Lovin2Learn

Hi Lovin2learn! Do you mean like this plaid:

{#emotions_dlg.devil2} Hope it's not too painful to look at now! I just love plaid and this one (a take on the classic blackwatch tartan) is my absolute favorite. On Christmas holiday in Portland I dragged my sister to a Pendleton outlet to hunt down a blackwatch tartan jacket and I found one!! But - I don't wear both together! too much of a good thing. This navy plaid I would agree with the others who posted - for me will be for fall/winter.

kelsey 031296429532.777781 PostsRegistered 3/28/2010

this yrs yellow plaid with the black trim? all yr round would be fine. its very pretty! the purple is a light color so it would be fine. if the trim were white id consider it more spring summer yet with the black trim if u have black or dark brown sunglass frames the black trim on this line works just fine. these r beautiful handbags so wear them and enjoy them. the crimson id say is more winter yet who knows?? the navy works for both when u think nautical theme sportswear for the summer. there r no rules im familiar with dictating when u can wear what anymore.

stevieb1296429692.85735574 PostsRegistered 11/4/2007

Anything is probably wearable at any time, depending how it's worn, but for the most part, I'd use a yellow and white plaid primarily in spring and summer... but that's me!

Islandgirl­70321296487440.7712846 PostsRegistered 6/7/2007Savannah, GA
On 1/29/2011 ahirau said:
On 1/29/2011 Lovin2Learn said:

Lovin2Learn

Hi Lovin2learn! Do you mean like this plaid:

{#emotions_dlg.devil2} Hope it's not too painful to look at now! I just love plaid and this one (a take on the classic blackwatch tartan) is my absolute favorite. On Christmas holiday in Portland I dragged my sister to a Pendleton outlet to hunt down a blackwatch tartan jacket and I found one!! But - I don't wear both together! too much of a good thing. This navy plaid I would agree with the others who posted - for me will be for fall/winter.

I agree A, this one was my favorite of the plaids!

Except here, being a coastal town where nautical wear is the norm, you'll see this plaid year-round, especially with that tan trim.

Because we don't have such a 'severe' change of seasons, very few colors are not acceptable year-round here.

fallsnow561296520847.4431219 PostsRegistered 8/12/2008

I think the Yellow plaid would look awesome in the winter;) The colors in it are beautiful, and I like the trim color.

I got the Navy bag that Ahirau posted and probably won't start using it until March! Navy seems very spring like to me, and the trim as well. It probably is regional and depends on what the weather is like where you are.

Lovin2Learn1296521219.137206 PostsRegistered 6/23/2008

Ahirau,

That's the plaid I had to wear for four years on my skirt in high school, but I honestly have to tell you that this handbag is stunning!!!! I've not seen it pictured like what you've done here and the tan leather against the navy and green is spectacular! I think I could even manage to wipe away my bad memories of that skirt and wear that plaid on my shoulder or arms! without any problem!

It really is beautiful and if I hadn't already bought the red one which I love, I would definitely consider buying this one. You are going to love the coated cotton, Ahirau because it doesn't matter what the weather, nothing will harm that baby! Wear it in good health and thanks for curing me of my navy and green plaid problem because I'm definitely sold on it! See what happens on this site, ladies, people get cured of their problems that go as far back as high school! It's like we're all shrinks or something!

Oh by the way - GO STEELERS!!!!

Lovin2Learn

ahirau1296527915.623493 PostsRegistered 9/4/2010Portland, OR
On 1/31/2011 Lovin2Learn said:

Ahirau,

That's the plaid I had to wear for four years on my skirt in high school, but I honestly have to tell you that this handbag is stunning!!!! I've not seen it pictured like what you've done here and the tan leather against the navy and green is spectacular! I think I could even manage to wipe away my bad memories of that skirt and wear that plaid on my shoulder or arms! without any problem!

It really is beautiful and if I hadn't already bought the red one which I love, I would definitely consider buying this one. You are going to love the coated cotton, Ahirau because it doesn't matter what the weather, nothing will harm that baby! Wear it in good health and thanks for curing me of my navy and green plaid problem because I'm definitely sold on it! See what happens on this site, ladies, people get cured of their problems that go as far back as high school! It's like we're all shrinks or something!

Oh by the way - GO STEELERS!!!!

Lovin2Learn

Hi Lovin2learn! I'm so glad you changed your mind about this plaid!! It is just awesome and I feel so "happy" when I'm wearing this bag - it just makes me smile {#emotions_dlg.laugh} ! And you are absolutely right, this bag can withstand any weather. I look forward to carrying this bag for many seasons! I love this one so much, I also bought this style in the yellow plaid! A

Lovin2Learn1296610020.203206 PostsRegistered 6/23/2008

Ahirau and fellow posters,

I know exactly what you mean about this bag making you feel happy. I think that is what the addiction with handbags is for me, if they don't make me smile and feel happy to wear them, then they aren't worth buying!

That may sound silly to others, and for some maybe functionality is the most important consideration. But for all of us who truly love our handbags because of the colors, the styles, the functionality or because they are merely a Dooney, Coach, or any other brand, if they make you feel good or special, then they have truly served their purpose.

So my motto in addition to "Life is short, eat dessert first" is "Life is short - go buy another handbag!"

kelsey 031296660393.417781 PostsRegistered 3/28/2010

there r some new plaid colors for the spring n summer available soon.

Page 1 of 1