Respected Contributor

Need Food Ideas for Gathering for a Crowd

[ Edited ]

OK, I am an early thinker. My husband's family gathers together on Christmas day (40+ adults/children). Besides the purchased chicken, everyone brings something (except the 20 somethings). I was the one that always brought stuffed cabbage, but that got to be too much for me, so another younger family member took that over. Last year I made italian beef, which was barely touched.

The menu usually is chicken, deli tray for sandwiches, stuffed cabbage, potatoes, coleslaw, haluski, barbecue kolbassi, pierogi, ham salad, fruit salad, jello salad and a whole load snacks and dips. It's really overkill with the amount of food. There is even a dessert table. We all chip in for the chicken and beverage costs.  Note, for years we have put our heads together and tried to pare this down with a simple set menu,  no success, people feel that need to continue to bring food. 

I thought about something healthier like a salad, but have seen that done in the past and it didn't go over well.  So I was thinking something italian, like lasagna or spaghetti pie.

Valued Contributor

Re: Need Food Ideas for Christmas Gathering for a Crowd

Sounds like a Western PA party!  Okay....great ethnic menu.  Think you could eliminate the chicken with all the great food you have coming, but that is purchased, so that's not time consuming for anyone.  You have so much in the sandwich tray, ham salad, halushki, kielbassi, pierogi...Like you said, food overload.  You could try a complete change....soup(s)...maybe 2 choices....say vegetable and wedding.....sandwich trays and salads, as well as your dessert table.  The soups can be made ahead and always improve when done that way....even frozen so the holidays aren't so crazy.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't have an answer for you....just wanted to let you know I had to chuckle at your thread title...they cut off the "D"

So it reads Need Food Ideas For Christmas Gathering for a "CROW".....

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@circles wrote:

I don't have an answer for you....just wanted to let you know I had to chuckle at your thread title...they cut off the "D"

So it reads Need Food Ideas For Christmas Gathering for a "CROW".....

OMG, that is too funny! I'm glad we can edit titles now.
Respected Contributor

@StlrFan wrote:

Sounds like a Western PA party!  Okay....great ethnic menu.  Think you could eliminate the chicken with all the great food you have coming, but that is purchased, so that's not time consuming for anyone.  You have so much in the sandwich tray, ham salad, halushki, kielbassi, pierogi...Like you said, food overload.  You could try a complete change....soup(s)...maybe 2 choices....say vegetable and wedding.....sandwich trays and salads, as well as your dessert table.  The soups can be made ahead and always improve when done that way....even frozen so the holidays aren't so crazy.

Yes, we are definitely in Western PA. Thank goodness, this isn't held up at our house. I would go nuts. MY SIL and BIL get the honor of hosting as they have the biggest home with the most bathrooms. They are very organized and get as much set up ahead of time as possible. A lot of the relatives will bring over their dishes the day prior. Her and I have talked several times about how we can control the menu because quite frankly it gets very chaotic, people arriving at different times, children running all over the place, food to be reheated, setting up, cleaning up and divving up the left overs and still trying to enjoy the festivities. Soup would be great, but I worry about the spillage, as people are sitting in four different areas with many having plates on their laps.
Frequent Contributor

Re: Need Food Ideas for Gathering for a Crowd

Could you have everyone bring a certain amount of something in separate containers so that what isn't needed can be sent home?  I don't mind leftovers but I don't like them if they've been sitting out on a buffet table and picked at.  If everyone divided up their dishes for a bring one and bring one for someone else to take home, they will still have the joy of bringing food, you would have back up food in case you ran out of something and "fresh" leftovers could be sent home with each family (one meat, one starch, one vegetable, one dessert) for a second meal the next day. 

You could also set things up like a cookie exchange - everyone bring XX number of servings of something and then everyone gets to take some of several things home.  Same idea just done a little differently.

Honored Contributor

I know this may sound like a silly idea but I have never been to any kind of a gathering when pigs in a blanket don't get gobbled up (appetizer size).

The reason why I bring this up as it sounds like you have folks coming and going at all hours during the day and also a wide swing of ages.  These are easy to eat, easy for the little ones, easy to toss into the microwave to reheat if needed and no spillage.

And I personally could make an entire meal of them . . . Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

There may be members of your family that would enjoy some lighter fare.  I would bring a big green salad may be with mandarian orange, avocado and cheddar cheese added. 

Respected Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

I know this may sound like a silly idea but I have never been to any kind of a gathering when pigs in a blanket don't get gobbled up (appetizer size).

The reason why I bring this up as it sounds like you have folks coming and going at all hours during the day and also a wide swing of ages.  These are easy to eat, easy for the little ones, easy to toss into the microwave to reheat if needed and no spillage.

And I personally could make an entire meal of them . . . Smiley Happy

There is pretty much a set time when we eat. But you always have the late comers. The food is still out, so they're pretty much on on their own. When I made the stuffed cabbage, made at least 80 full sized. Have to be full sized per my husband and a specific recipe. There had to be adequate remaining for take home, otherwise all "H" would break loose. There are a few people who arrived early and ask for some to be set aside to ensure they had some to take home.
Respected Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

There may be members of your family that would enjoy some lighter fare.  I would bring a big green salad may be with mandarian orange, avocado and cheddar cheese added. 

Personally, DiAnne, I am one of those people. There is just too much heavy stuff. I might go ahead and try a salad this year and some appetizers.