Honored Contributor

Birkin Bags Are Falling Out Of Favor

Check out this article. The "rich and famous" are now favoring handbags that are much less costly.

http://nyp.st/1HtDDMo

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Valued Contributor

Re: Birkin Bags Are Falling Out Of Favor

[ Edited ]

Somehow I doubt as if they will be shopping on the Q, buying GILI, Tignaello or Dooney bags anytime soon, however! As I become a more mature person, both in age and in character, I have very little interest in what so-called celebrities purchase, wear, or do. They are just people with a ton of money and a lot of time, very little judgment.

Honored Contributor

@cotto22F Scott Fitzgerald had it right -  the rich are different from the rest of us - they have money.

As for time and good judgement - I think that's probably spread around among the rich at the same rate as it is in the general population.

Trusted Contributor

I think that your premise is spot on.  I read another article that indicated that in the new ramped up class warfare that the group that carries Birkins at 10,000 a pop, was keeping a much lower profile.  My instinct is telling me it is more about fear than about conscience.

Honored Contributor

I'm just nowhere near wealthy enough to be okay with spending $10,000 on a handbag.

Honored Contributor

I'm neither rich nor famous, and while I used to covet one of these bags, now, well, not so much... They were a place in time and time marches on. Besides, every designer under the sun has now created their version of this bag. Knockoffs aside, a reasonable facsimile of the bag can be had for a lot less money. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlueSeems to me you're part of a huge crowd.

Of course, I could do it -  as long as I didn't care whether I paid the rent or the car or ate food once in a while.

Then again, wouldn't carrying a Birkin reveal the true worth of the rest of my wardrobe?  Kind of like painting one room in the house makes the rest start to look shabby!

Honored Contributor

I guess I don't understand the desire to be conspicuous.  It has always seemed kind of tacky to me.

Some people try so hard to look important, but end up just looking silly.

Respected Contributor

Anyone who is now disenchanted with their Birkin because it is SO not on trend can send it my way.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@1Professor wrote:

Anyone who is now disenchanted with their Birkin because it is SO not on trend can send it my way.

Prof... dahhhling... @1Professor... I've got simply scads of them dahhhhlinng... Will send a few out out to you on the PJ... but really, dahhhhling, they've become so de classe... so not outre, dahhhhhling, why, they've simply become, well, 'Kardashian'...

Woman Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...