Valued Contributor

@cotton4me

I had replied to your very thoughtful post on the "[t]here comes a time" topic.  Since the thread is gone and I doubt you had a chance to read my reply, I wanted to write you again here. 

I am not a person of faith as it concerns any particular denomination or system of worship, but the excerpt you posted really touched me.  Beautiful words to live by.  I also loved your response in general.  It took me a long time, and a great deal of soul searching and existential angst, to come to the conclusion that you do have to make a conscious decision to chose happiness in this life.  It's easier said than done, but you win simply by trying.  

I was hoping you (or another kind contributor) would repost that excerpt for me.  I don't recall the citation you gave, otherwise I would look it up.  Thanks so much!!  Sun With Face

Esteemed Contributor

I missed it...I always miss all the good stuff!

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Valued Contributor

Hi AliJoi;  I think this may be what cottonball posted.

Philippians 4:8King James Version (KJV)

8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Valued Contributor

Smiling Face With Open Mouth and Tightly-Closed EyesSuffice it to say that thread went awry very quickly MacDuff!  I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.  But there were a few bright spots, and I hope cottonball or another poster can mention that excerpt again here.  It was beautiful, and I think it could apply to anyone (not just people of faith).

Valued Contributor

Yes that's it @masque!  Thanks so much for reposting!!  You da best.  Smiling Face With Halo

Valued Contributor

@AliJoi5

You're welcome. Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

I saw the thread the night before, but didn't see what happened yesterday to cause its demise.  We've all learned just about anything on these forums can become contentious...  it's unfortunate, but it's the nature of forums.

I've always believed personal perception plays a huge role in the way we experience our time on this globe.  I agree with this quote:

"A loving person lives in a loving world.

A hostile person lives in a hostile world.

Same world.

Everyone you meet is your mirror.

(Ken S. Keyes, Jr., and Wayne Dyer, Ph.D.)

Thanks for this thread, @AliJoi5, and thanks to @cotton4me and @masque for reminding us of that beautiful passage.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Paging cottonball...

[ Edited ]

@AliJoi5

Thanks so much for your kind words. It’s nice to know that someone benefited from my post. I’m glad Masque was able to provide the quote. I was gone all day so I didn’t see what happened to the thread after I posted.

I understand the struggle of maintaining the balance between negative and positive. When I feel the scales tipping toward the negative I know it's time to regroup and try to focus on better things.  I like your statement:  "It's easier said than done, but you win simply by trying." 

All the best to you.  Emoji

Valued Contributor

Thanks for your post @dooBdoo!  I couldn't agree more.  I do believe that, to a large extent, life is what you make it and attitude is everything.  I think at some point, if you want to make it in this world and find peace and happiness along the way, you have to adopt these principles and adjust your outlook.  Once I started to understand this, it was like a weight off of my shoulders.  It was freeing to know I held that kind of power, you know?  Not that I'm done yet... I still have a long way to go!  But the best part about it is that with each new day, you have another opportunity to grow.  It's never too late!  Woman Happy

Valued Contributor

Thanks @cotton4me!  I just loved how supportive your post was, even in the midst of all of that discord (there were some other great posts too).  I've saved that excerpt, and I'm going to look at it every time I'm afraid or worried.  I think it has a very encouraging, very comforting message.

Thanks again and enjoy your weekend!