Honored Contributor

Have an old Apple Desk Top --- Need very basic help

I have an old Apple desk top which is like 7 years old but runs great.  However, I know next to nothing about it as I basically just use it for internet and e-mail use.

I know many here will laugh at me as I am not good with computers, but I will ask any way.

How do I:  

Get a picture from Google and then save it and size it, so I can insert it in an e-mail or a letter?  I have no idea.

Say for instance -- I have a young niece that I like to e-mail with and she loves different cartoon characters.  So, if I find a piciture of Mickey Mouse or Kermit the Frog on Google, how do I get it into my e-mail or letter?  

Please be very basic in your instructions as I do not know anything about saving pictures or anything of the sort.

Thank you and I appreciate it very much!!!  Smiley Very Happy

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Re: Have an old Apple Desk Top --- Need very basic help

It is a Mac not an Apple, Apple is the parent company.

You should invest in a book with some basics.

I will assume you have no photo program

You can hit command,shift 3 at the same time , which iwll giveyou a screen shot that you can paste into an email.

This is a very basic set of instructions kept ver simple

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox

Oh, sorry.  I knew that, -- yes, Mac.  

I will try what you said.  So, should I get one of those books for a Mac that is one of those"Dummy" books?  Thanks. 

Honored Contributor

Or do you have an "Apple" store near you I know they give "classes" maybe you could sit in a on a very basic one

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@I am still oxox

Oh, sorry.  I knew that, -- yes, Mac.  

I will try what you said.  So, should I get one of those books for a Mac that is one of those"Dummy" books?  Thanks. 

The Missing Manuals books are better.  Non techy, funny & very easy to read.  Has pictorials too.

To better answer your concerns, I/we will need the following:

1- Which desktop do you have?  There are several Mac desktops.

2- Which OS do you have?

3 - Which email client are you using?  Some of them are self explanatory regarding sending pics.  All Macs come w/a photo program - iPhoto or Photo.

Read your Help menu at the top of your Finder screen and/or within the app(s) you are using.

Read/research Apple's Knowledge Base Articles for anything you want to do on your Mac - https://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=search&locale=en_US&q=

Post on Apple's message boards.  Very knowledgeable people there.

If you are using a 3rd party email client, read their Help and/or FAQ's.

==========

No matter how you use your Mac, you should make it your business to learn how to use it properly & how it works.  You paid a lot of good $$$$$$ to NOT know.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox

No, not really close.  The nearest one is probably about 2 hours away.  But thanks for that suggestion. 

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac

DH keeps it up to date as far as the versions go,so I don't know anything much about it. Sorry -- but I am just not computer savy.  Some of us are, and some of us aren't.  It is, what it is.  The computer purchase of a Mac was not my purchase so it was not my choice.  It is a nice machine but not what I would have chosen.  I find it cumbersome and not user friendly.  But all that aside, I thank you for your suggestions.  I will look into acquiring a manual of some sort.