Honored Contributor

The ComPact is a commitment to simplify, pare down, streamline. It began as a way to gain some control over our collections of beauty products. Why were we amassing so much, yet not using what we were buying? Why were we always searching for the next new product? Why couldn't we just find what worked for us and stick with it?
The ComPact, however, is not restricted to beauty items. If you have a collection you want to address, do it here. Choose an area you want to work on, and track your progress on the ComPact thread. Members will offer tips and encouragement.
Choose one of our many mantras (“One by one until they’re done!” “We are SPAHHHRRRTAN!!!” “Not until you really have to.” “Buy less, choose well, make it last.” “Resist the propaganda.” "If it's high, I don't buy!" “When in doubt, do without!” “Start where you are, use what you have, do what you can.” “Shoplighters of the World Unite!”) or create a new one and share it. Target items each month to toss, donate, or use, and post your “chopping block” -- or “hit list.” Post temptations, post victories.
They say it takes 30 days for something to become a habit: Let's see if taking the ComPact one month at a time works for you.
Join us.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Trusted Contributor

Thank you for keeping this going, just bee!  I don't post often but do keep up on reading this thread for motivation to buy only mindfully.  

I remember reading you are quite the tea drinker.  If you have found some good online sites to purchase from, would you mind recommending some?  My son drinks LOTS of hot tea, and I'm looking for a good price on organic teas.  Thanks!

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

BExplorer, Better-half asked me this morning how long it's been since we gave up brewing coffee.  I couldn't even tell him.  It's all a blur.  But I've been going through a rough patch with tea lately and have considered ditching that, too.  I'd been drinking stiff British teas which were all quite tasty because I was adding honey and heavy cream to them.  Battery acid tastes good with honey and heavy cream.

Anyway, I got annoyed when I had to replace my debit card for the umpteenth time shortly after I ordered online tea.  I started buying it from the grocery store and soon realized that it was quite awful.  I just ordered a couple fruit teas from Harney & Sons and I have to say that I'm not thrilled.  I liked their strong black tea blends like Scottish Morn and East Frisian, but I thought I'd try something new.  They do have a nice selection of organics.  Occasionally they'll offer something special but I know that's wasted on me.  There's no way in Hades I'll pay $250 for a pound of tea leaves.

Here's a link:

https://www.harney.com/

I really should shop locally.  I haven't yet tried this place, but I'll eventually get over there.  They have some interesting choices.

http://www.nmteaco.com/

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Trusted Contributor

Thanks, just bee, for the links.  I checked them out and about choked on the prices until I pulled out my package of or organic tea bags and realized how little tea the box actually contains (2.26 ounces!).  I think I will end up giving one of those sites a try.  We have never made tea not from a tea bag (I know, newbie) so will also order the accompanying supplies.  Thanks again :-)

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@BExplorer wrote:

Thanks, just bee, for the links.  I checked them out and about choked on the prices until I pulled out my package of or organic tea bags and realized how little tea the box actually contains (2.26 ounces!).  I think I will end up giving one of those sites a try.  We have never made tea not from a tea bag (I know, newbie) so will also order the accompanying supplies.  Thanks again :-)

I use a permanent tea filter in a mug and that works pretty well.  Once you start using loose tea, it becomes normal and bags are suddenly weird.

https://www.harney.com/teawareandtreats/tea-filters-strainers.html

If you order from Harney you'll get their emails and be alerted to special offers.

Trusted Contributor

Hi Compact Friends,

Happy August. Can't believe July is over already. Compacting is tough in July for me as its my birthday month.

I bought my Cashmere Mist Deodramt during the Nordstrom Sale. I stock up for the year as its the best price. Also bought my first Mac blush in Petal Power. Picked up a Milani Blush in Kmart while walking thru. I need more blush like a hole in the head. I have plenty of blush in the stash to choose from when I finish up my Laura Geller palette. Now I have 2 more to choose from. Going to go thru the stash and take 2 out and give them to my DD.

Besides the blushes was doing pretty good until the Tarte sale the other day. Bought the Tartlette palette and The Showstopper with birthday money. I have a couple of older ELF palettes that i am going to give to a better home were they will get some love to make room for the 2 new Tarte Palettes.

I added Purity for the body to my shower gel stash. Yep July is tough for me. Although new things came in, things will go out to make room.

Its a constant battle with myself. As far as fun in July, can't think of anything really special that I did. Although I did make time to read more which is my favorite thing to do. I finished several books this month. So am content and happy with that!

Have a great August friends and be good to yourselves! Kathie

"Dogs heal hearts they never broke"
RIP Lexi aka "Momma" 1/15/24
Honored Contributor

Happy belated birthday!

Honored Contributor

Sundrops!

http://www.nps.gov/petr/planyourvisit/directions.htm

Just got back from taking the dog to Piedras Marcadas Canyon (his favorite place in the world) and if you haven't been there, now's the time.  We live nearby so we got there a little after 6:30 and it was a perfect morning.  Clear sky, lots of detail on the mountains, and balloons behind us and in front of us.  But it will probably never look this good again.  Because of all the rain, the area is incredibly green.  New plants and flowers everywhere, and whole patches of Black-eyed Susans.  It's pretty amazing.  Get there early!  (Dogs are welcome.)

Super Contributor

Hey just bee!   Thanks for the rec!  I'll write that down and look it up.  Yesterday we biked just over 15 miles on the Alameda Rio Grande trail.  It's close to us.  I grocery shop at Smiths on Paseo del Norte, have been into a Sprouts.  We like sports bars to catch a game and since the owner is from Chicago like us, we like going to Stone Face tavern.  That is really close to us.  Chicago games are always on some tv there.  Having all of our new big purchases delivered this week, so I have to be around the home playing the waiting game.  Will get my new drivers license and plates this month.  That will make it official!!!

Honored Contributor

@sundrops wrote:

Hey just bee!   Thanks for the rec!  I'll write that down and look it up.  Yesterday we biked just over 15 miles on the Alameda Rio Grande trail.  It's close to us.  I grocery shop at Smiths on Paseo del Norte, have been into a Sprouts.  We like sports bars to catch a game and since the owner is from Chicago like us, we like going to Stone Face tavern.  That is really close to us.  Chicago games are always on some tv there.  Having all of our new big purchases delivered this week, so I have to be around the home playing the waiting game.  Will get my new drivers license and plates this month.  That will make it official!!!

Chicago, eh?  I grew up in Rogers Park on Sheridan Road.  When I was nine I met Ernie Banks and Randy Hundley at Uptown Federal Bank.  When I was born we lived on Addison because Dad wanted to be close to Wrigley Field.  I could go for an Italian beef sandwich right now...