Honored Contributor

Tarte Powder Foundation - Opinions/Reviews, Please

I'll preface this by saying I really like Josie Maran's Matchmaker Compact when I just want a powdered foundation.  I get nice coverage and the color blends to my skintone perfectly.  The problem is that there's so little product in the compact and it gets used up in no time at all that it ends up being a bit costly.  I bought the duo in late May and one of the compacts is almost used up after only a month and not even using it every day.  I'm always trying new foundations so I'm thinking about experimenting with the Tarte powder next.  

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Tarte Powder Foundation - Opinions/Reviews, Please

The Tarte powder foundation is the best! I used bare minerals for many years and have used IT Celebration. The tarte powder looks completely natural, does not settle in wrinkles, and provides excellent coverage. I do not care for the brush sold with it. A regular flat head brush works better. Sephardic and Ultra carry more shades, and it is a good idea to test colors first.

Valued Contributor

Hello JLF.  I have been using the Tarte powder foundation for a few years now.  I've tried others, both powder and non-powder but I keep going back to this one.  My skin is combo with a very oily T zone and this is the only foundation that stays all day.  I set it with the UD All Nighter setting spray and that even increases the wear time. This foundation gives a very nice finish which is no too matte and looks natural.  Coverage is buildable to full but you can also apply lightly if you wish.  On the dry areas of my face, I don't feel like it looks cakey like some powder foundations do.

I agree with the previous poster about the airbuki brush that goes with it.  I prefer the Up and Up Complexion brush from Target.  It is dense but very smooth and has longer fibers than the Tarte brush which helps when the container is getting low so you can get to the bottom to grab the foundation.  When it gets to about half gone, I tip it over with the lid on before pressing my brush on the mesh.  That way the foundation is right there on the mesh and it is easier to get to.  When I'm down to the very end, I cut the mesh out to get every little bit.  I'm on my 5th one and I find it lasts about 5 months with daily use.   HTHs!

Trusted Contributor

I agree that it's the best powder product I've used. I do not like that dense little brush very much, but I got mine in a set that included it. I prefer my big Tarte airbrush brush or any flat top foundation brush. Honestly, it's such a firgiving powder on me it doesn't matter what brush I use. I have no desire to purchase the setting spray ( it was a OTO last night) but I will definitely repurchase the powder. I wear a light medium in it, and usually wear medium in other powders.
Honored Contributor

Ladies, THANK YOU for the input.  I see I'm going to have to try this one.  I'm a brush hoarder so I'm sure I have one that will work - might even try one of the new ones I bought from Hautelook recently.  On my way to the bay to see if I can find one at a good price.  Thanks again!!!   Woman Happy