Super Contributor

could be so much fun!

I have a band (handle free) that I use in all sorts of ways.

Its actually quite fun and doesn’t take long.

Stretching muscles that don’t get used too often 

feels good too.

I do a “set of 6-reps”  for each exercise.

In one, I hold the band over my head, then extend arms out, then relax, then out, etc.

Or I put the band under my feet, and do arm curls (one at a time).

Very hard to describe movements, much easier to DO!

I know as we age that Flexibility is important, so give it a try.

The simple flex bands are very cheap on Amazon.

I prefer No Handles..I’d rather wrap the bands around my hands to adjust the length of the bands,

Honored Contributor

@JumpTheRope 

I knew decades ago that Therabands were fun and also very valuable for many purposes. For me they are more for resistance than for stretching. Stretching for me is not something where I use resistance, just the opposite.

Many Physical Therapists have used different color Thera Bands(more or less resistance) for rehab of about every body part. I have found them useful both with and without handles as either can be shortened if one wants more resistance. 

For me, I will stick to static stretching, sans resistance bands of any kind. Glad you have found them to be fun. When any exercise is fun more will continue doing them.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@JumpTheRope I use my flex bands daily. I received several different color handle free bands after completing physical therapy. Prior to that I had several handled bands but I like the handle free ones better. I especially like using them to stretch my back.

Honored Contributor

Won't touch the things...........had one "snap" and break, hitting me in the face.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

While I often use them for resistance training, I use them with caution..  Over the years I have had many snap and break while using them.  Those buggers leave bruises.  I always replace mine every few months.  I have never used them for stretching though.

Esteemed Contributor

Many years ago there was an exercise guy who sold bands on QVC. But they weren't just the bands, they came with cuffs maybe about 3 inches wide so you could put the cuffs with bands attached around your ankles for the leg and rear end exercises. The cuffs velcroed closed. Then for arm exercises the cuff part you just held onto. I remember the cuffs were black and said something on them and the bands were yellow. They came with a chart of how to use them for the various parts of your body. I clearly remember being down on my hands & knees and lifting each leg one at a time. Also recall being in a sitting position with one band around the sole of my shoe and the other end in my hand with elbow on knee and raising and lowering my lower arm. I still have them and the chart somewhere around here, in the basement, the attic.....somewhere.

Respected Contributor

We use these quite a bit in my bootcamp class, mostly for things like monster squats or squat ladders. I have a set that I tuck in my bag when I travel so I can do some resistance training anywhere. I also have a longer, open one that I use for arm work. It's not nearly the workout that lifting provides, but in a pinch it's better than nothing. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Esteemed Contributor

I have handles for mine, just better control. You can get them at ******'s, or a good sporting goods store near you. Get some advice, including how long they should be for your height. Like a jump rope, you can cut to fit.

Mine are different pull strengths and color coded. DS has some from his PT sessions that are more like a rubbery scarf with better control but less range of motion.

Super Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

Won't touch the things...........had one "snap" and break, hitting me in the face.

Omg...that’s what happened to Senator Harry Reid a year or two ago.

He lost vision in one eye and is attempting to sue the manufacturer.

(although I do not know any further details).

Super Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

I have handles for mine, just better control. You can get them at ******'s, or a good sporting goods store near you. Get some advice, including how long they should be for your height. Like a jump rope, you can cut to fit.

Yes, I actually DO jump rope, using both the cable/wire style and the black vinyl.  I love jumping “rope-dancing” listening to music from the 80’s.

An hour can just ::::::::fly by.....especially with MJs music!

Aside from jogging and jumping, though, I knew I needed strength/resistance training as I’ve gotten older.

I used to think the stretch bands were for *sissies* (only Free-weights were 

the Real Deal!) and so ignored them!

Now that I’ve humbled myself (hahaha so to speak!) to experience alternative/additional work-out  options, I definitely see the benefits.

The set of 3- bands went from fairly easy, then a bit harder, and the last band is much thicker and I probably won’t use it.

I used the Level 1 for a few weeks, but the Level 2 is where I plan to stay.

Enough resistance for a good work out...not to little..not too much!